Courant: UConn athletics deficit grows to $43.5 million | The Boneyard

Courant: UConn athletics deficit grows to $43.5 million

Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Unless you know exactly how they arrived at that number it's meaningless.

Even when you do have a path towards the final number, it's meaningless. From the article. It's a backwards looking number. Tells you where you were, not where you are, or where you are going.

According to an athletic department spokesperson, last year’s payment toward UConn’s $17 million AAC exit fee is not reflected in the financial statement, which accounts for the period between July 2019 and June 2020, nor are pandemic-related losses from this fall and winter. The financial statement also does not include $26.4 million in donations and pledges the athletic department secured in the 2020 fiscal year, the second-highest amount raised in athletics history.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Not great, but I’d assume most schools lost more money (or made less) in 2020. Still though.
Most schools lose money on athletics in a normal year. In 2018-2019 there were only like 15 profitable athletic departments, and that was with ideal economic conditions. Even most SEC schools lose money. I think the entire pac-12 operates in the red.

With that said $44 million is a gigantic number. That’s not a number that is justifiable in any way.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It shouldn’t be considered a loss. It should just be a cost. Public universities should provide those that attend the ability to play sports. Is what the school spends on research considered a loss? Is what they spend on the debate team or mock trial a loss? Is what they spend on music or arts a loss?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It shouldn’t be considered a loss. It should just be a cost. Public universities should provide those that attend the ability to play sports. Is what the school spends on research considered a loss? Is what they spend on the debate team or mock trial a loss? Is what they spend on music or arts a loss?
Agreed to a certain extent but none of those throw a number close to $44million loss into the bottom line. It's relative yes but it's typical of a public entity; spend out of your arse, show losses and hope the government comes to the rescue. If any private or publicly traded business were run the way the US/state/local entities do very few of us would be employed. It's disgusting.

Reaction Score
Unless you know exactly how they arrived at that number it's meaningless.

I assure it is not meaningless. Anyone who thinks these AD numbers do anything other than hide the extent of the losses is fooling themselves. Admins are not worried about hiding the "profits" from the athletes. They are worried about hiding the extent of the losses from their biggest customers: parents.

Looking at the budget document, they are spending $33m for coaches and the AD staff. Oooof. Another $13m for recruiting, travel and games.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
@ScottVib Thanks for the link. I'd love to go through the detail when I have more time.

The school pays about $36M in support of athletics (not counting student fees.) Then the AD pays about half that back to the school for tuition/room and board. So is it fair that to say that the school actually pay @$18M in support of athletics?

Here is one of the biggest takeaways:
1611242382665.png

If UConn is a part of a P5 conference deal they are making at least the the $36M (which is really $18M net) that they are pumping into supporting the AD.

Reaction Score
Here is the biggest problem with the reporting.

UConn does not allocate $16.8 million in revenues to an individual sport even though the vast majority of these revenues come from football and basketball. Thus, the size of the "deficits" reported for individual sports are due to accounting, not reality.

Judge for yourself as these revenues are not allocated to any sport:

1) NCAA Distribution: $2.2 million

2) Conference distribution: $2.34 million

3) Royalties, licensing, advertising, sponsorships: $12.26 million

The women's basketball media rights with SNY ($1.15 million) is a separate line item so it is allocated to women's basketball. Men's basketball and football have no media rights revenues allocated to the sports.

Oh, and the report doesn't include $26.4 million of donations and pledges made to the athletic department in FY2020.

In addition there are transfer pricing issues (expenses) that you typically see in companies that can lead to bad decision making.

Look, the athletic department has financial issues, but don't use this report exclusively (and the Courant article) to evaluate the situation.

Reaction Score
We should have spend some of that on a penetrating point guard

CL82

Reaction Score
Looking at the budget document, they are spending $33m for coaches and the AD staff.
Of that number $10M is not allocated to any specific teams, i.e., it is AD office staff. That is in the upper half of P5 schools. That would seem to be a place for reductions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I assure it is not meaningless. Anyone who thinks these AD numbers do anything other than hide the extent of the losses is fooling themselves. Admins are not worried about hiding the "profits" from the athletes. They are worried about hiding the extent of the losses from their biggest customers: parents.

Looking at the budget document, they are spending $33m for coaches and the AD staff. Oooof. Another $13m for recruiting, travel and games.
I smell the football program getting toasted. LOL

CL82

Reaction Score
I smell the football program getting toasted. LOL
I don’t know about that, but I am worried about their getting annihilated.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Most schools lose money on athletics in a normal year. In 2018-2019 there were only like 15 profitable athletic departments, and that was with ideal economic conditions. Even most SEC schools lose money. I think the entire pac-12 operates in the red.

With that said $44 million is a gigantic number. That’s not a number that is justifiable in any way.

One of the biggest, if not the biggest reason so many athletics departments have losses has nothing to do with the administration.

Reaction Score
Agreed to a certain extent but none of those throw a number close to $44million loss into the bottom line. It's relative yes but it's typical of a public entity; spend out of your arse, show losses and hope the government comes to the rescue. If any private or publicly traded business were run the way the US/state/local entities do very few of us would be employed. It's disgusting.
Private companies don’t run on a deficit? I believe many do and many take years to achieve profit if ever.

Reaction Score
Private companies don’t run on a deficit? I believe many do and many take years to achieve profit if ever.
Don't bother with facts with gtcam. Fox News told him public = evil, private = good, and he's not inclined to let any nuanced truth get in the way of that.

Reaction Score
your own university's football program is a laughing matter to you?

No, but unfortunately I do not think the football program is long for this world. aka "toast" Hope i'm wrong, but a lot of warning signs.

Reaction Score
Spending time trying to dissect the numbers on the BY is a waste of time for everyone here.

The bigger concern is the millions of CT residents who don't know the facts but see a headline like this and immediately start saying "something needs to be done about this waste of TAX PAYER dollars".

When they start to make their voices heard which IMHO will be soon based on the budget mess in CT we will likely see more sports shutdown

Reaction Score
Here is the biggest problem with the reporting.

UConn does not allocate $16.8 million in revenues to an individual sport even though the vast majority of these revenues come from football and basketball. Thus, the size of the "deficits" reported for individual sports are due to accounting, not reality.

Judge for yourself as these revenues are not allocated to any sport:

1) NCAA Distribution: $2.2 million

2) Conference distribution: $2.34 million

3) Royalties, licensing, advertising, sponsorships: $12.26 million

The women's basketball media rights with SNY ($1.15 million) is a separate line item so it is allocated to women's basketball. Men's basketball and football have no media rights revenues allocated to the sports.

Oh, and the report doesn't include $26.4 million of donations and pledges made to the athletic department in FY2020.

In addition there are transfer pricing issues (expenses) that you typically see in companies that can lead to bad decision making.

Look, the athletic department has financial issues, but don't use this report exclusively (and the Courant article) to evaluate the situation.

It did report donations.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Spending time trying to dissect the numbers on the BY is a waste of time for everyone here.

The bigger concern is the millions of CT residents who don't know the facts but see a headline like this and immediately start saying "something needs to be done about this waste of TAX PAYER dollars".

When they start to make their voices heard which IMHO will be soon based on the budget mess in CT we will likely see more sports shutdown

The reason they have too many sports is for reasons that have nothing to do with the administration

CL82

Reaction Score
Don't bother with facts with gtcam. Fox News told him public = evil, private = good, and he's not inclined to let any nuanced truth get in the way of that.
Take it to the McHugh.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Private companies can run a deficit and be successful because they are growing market share or show tremendous promise in their future prospects of lowering costs and turning a profit

Doesn’t take a genius to realize this isn’t the case with UConn athletics

Reaction Score
It did report donations.

It included less than $1m in contributions but...

“The financial statement also does not include $26.4 million in donations and pledges the athletic department secured in the 2020 fiscal year, the second-highest amount raised in athletics history.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom