Courant: No Benefit from Conference. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Courant: No Benefit from Conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is a postulated extreme to reinforce the more conservative thesis of that section (hence the word "survive"), which is that conference affiliation is mush less important to the women's basketball program than the other two sports. Admittedly John's didn't write with much clarity. but the final statement about being a true independent was. "'I don't know if that would be possible, to be honest with you,' Auriemma said." John will go for the rhetorical flourish over conveying "facts on the ground" so you have to read between the lines a little bit. This isn't much different from when John makes a comment about recruiting or other subject matter with some fun embellishment, UConn fans take him literally and freak out, and then Jim and/or Rich have to make a blog post stating what the facts actually are to settle the fan base down. Don't get caught up in John's independent talk. See the real thesis behind what he wrote. I think John brings a nice contrasting style to the beat, but his writing is not meant to be taken literally like an expert witness. Treat him like a poet.

UConn will be in a conference and that conference will have a conference tournament. How successful UConn will be in the short and long term in a conference outside the Big 4 conferences is debatable, but UConn will be in a conference.
So what does this mean?

"In fact, the Huskies probably would also survive as an independent, a fact that Auriemma alluded to a few weeks ago."

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We'll be in a conference. Doesn't matter who they are, they'll get better. The Catholic schools, not seeing them surviving. They'll devise some religious objection to Title IX and get rid of WBB.

If this was intended to be sarcasm you need to add one of those little smilie thingies at the end of your post.

If it was intended to be sincere you need to look at the history of WCBB.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
One of my biggest concerns last week was that UConn would end up in a weaker conference when it came to WBB. That itself could hurt a bit. Then that other strong teams around the country would be be as obligated to schedule us. Knocking us back down a bit more.

Then Friday happened. Now I just feel blessed to have my family and what is, simply is and I will enjoy that too.

Reaction Score
Story was all over the place. If the basic premise is that women's basketball is better off than the others, well, yeah, that's probably true. But it just depends where on the Titanic's deck you're sitting right now. It just was not written clearly. Clarity is somewhat important in the world of journalism, and excusing the lack thereof with the suggestion that the author be treated like a poet, for cryin out loud, won't cut it. You were not serious, were you?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Actually Tom, I criticized him so much, the board got on me that my attacks were personal (not true) but in the interest of general peace, I promised to desist.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
My mistake! I meant that other teams would not be obligated to play UConn. if many of the top programs stopped playing us and we were in a weak conference it could hurt us a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom