Courant Mailbag: Drummond First Impression? | The Boneyard

Courant Mailbag: Drummond First Impression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Link

Any word on how Drummond is looking during preseason pickup games?
Tone
Hartford

A: Tone, I hope to see some pickup games myself this week. Andre Drummond did play in some pickup games late last week, with Kemba Walker joining his old teammates on Friday. I'm told that Drummond's athletic ability is as advertised. Footwork was impressive, and he was running the floor like a 6-5 guy.

Reaction Score
With napier, lamb and drummmond on the run will be fun

Reaction Score
I'm not all that surprised by these initial comments. Drummond has great athleticism for a guy his size.

I am curious though about how well he will do in his role as a traditional center, since almost all the video highlights are not of the "back to the basket" variety. I'm not saying he doesn't have those skills, just that the videos don't tend to display them.

Reaction Score
Despite the difference in height, I think Oriakhi is mostly going to be the "5", and Drummond the "4."

But, really, it doesn't matter. And it's a good problem to have.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I'm not all that surprised by these initial comments. Drummond has great athleticism for a guy his size.

I am curious though about how well he will do in his role as a traditional center, since almost all the video highlights are not of the "back to the basket" variety. I'm not saying he doesn't have those skills, just that the videos don't tend to display them.

It seems to me that AD really needs to develop an inside, back to the basket game. He is not that good of an outside shooter and his future would seem to be at the 5 in the NBA to me. His shooting can certainly improve, but he really needs to learn how to use his size and athleticism inside (more like Dwight Howard than Amare, IMHO). I would bet that JC approaches him the way he approached CV...making him play inside or sit down.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Despite the difference in height, I think Oriakhi is mostly going to be the "5", and Drummond the "4."

Physically, the 5 is Drummond. Athletically, it's AO because AD is such a freak that he could be the world's largest 3 if he really wanted to.

I think they should try it against Colombia. Just for the heck of it.

C

Chief00

Rightly or wrongly AD will play the 5. Alex will play the 4. Its just what's in the cards.

Reaction Score
The first scrap of news for the dogs on the Boneyard.

Reaction Score

That is where he spent most his time in the prep school league. He has some moves from the post....jump hooks from either hand which are good but can be better. Turnarounds and up and unders were worked on but still needed a lot of npolishing. Mostly it was power in the form of dunks that epitomized his post play. He is a 5 no
t a three no matter how much any imagination is streched.....you only get to see the highlight reel stuff so far but as i've said before I think his main contributions will be help defense and as a garbageman this year.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that AD really needs to develop an inside, back to the basket game. He is not that good of an outside shooter and his future would seem to be at the 5 in the NBA to me. His shooting can certainly improve, but he really needs to learn how to use his size and athleticism inside (more like Dwight Howard than Amare, IMHO). I would bet that JC approaches him the way he approached CV...making him play inside or sit down.
His game is way closer to Stoudemire's than Howard's.

There's as good a chance he ends up playing PF as C in the NBA.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
His game is way closer to Stoudemire's than Howard's.

I've always kind of agreed with this ... but you can see a bit of both players in his game. Was watching high school highlights of Dwight and he and Drummond look very similar at that age.

Let's face it, it's just means good things that you even mention those two names along with Drummond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom