Courant article on Jalen Gaffney | The Boneyard

Courant article on Jalen Gaffney

Reaction Score
Nice to see articles (also Bouknight, Gilbert) on the team at this time of the year.

“I grew up watching UConn, when I was younger,” Jalen said. “It was always kind of a dream school for me.”

Would be good to get back to the winning ways so kids can say that in 10 years also.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Jalen and James will validate the significance of Chief’s dam break forecast last year. They are both talented but also team guys. They know and respect the Game which so important to Chief. They enjoy talking competitive basketball. His Dad schooled him well.

Reaction Score
Honestly having watched a lot of tape on all these guys - I think he's the 3-4 year guy who plays his way into being an all time UConn player. I love his entire game.
Right there with you. Convinced that Jalen is going to be a tremendous player for us, pushing the ball, scoring, and playing defense. Jalen appears to already have a motor, lots of energy to his game and persona. The chance to play with and learn from Alterique and RJ Cole is good for everybody. Looking forward to the twin point guard look with AG and Jalen this year. I think he's going to see plenty of minutes.

Reaction Score
I am so excited to watch this freshman class play, I could not be more amped that these three are in blue. Personally I think Jalen might even be my favorite just for the swagger he seems to ooze when he plays.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“[Fans are going to see] a lot of excitement, a lot of energy,” Gaffney said, “a guy that can score, facilitate, do a lot of everything. Hopefully they’ll see a lot of me this year. … Being vocal, being a leader on the court, being able to pick teammates up, being a point guard I’ve got to be a leader.”

Okay we're doomed and all, but I have a feeling about Bouk and Gaffney. I think they are going to be a special combo for us. Don't get me wrong, I like our guys and Cole was nice pick up, but there is something about these two that I feel is going to be memorable. Heck I'm excited about Akok playing and thrilled about his improved conditioning, but even that's not quite the same. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but these two guys are perfect for Hurley's preferred style of play and as UConn fans we know how devastating two quick athletic guards can be.

(Oh man that seems way too positive. I'm changing my avi to placate the mojo.)

Last edited:
C

Chief00

“[Fans are going to see] a lot of excitement, a lot of energy,” Gaffney said, “a guy that can score, facilitate, do a lot of everything. Hopefully they’ll see a lot of me this year. … Being vocal, being a leader on the court, being able to pick teammates up, being a point guard I’ve got to be a leader.”

Okay we're doomed and all, but I have a feeling about Bouk and Gaffney. I think they are going to be a special combo for us. Don't get me wrong, I like our guys and Cole was nice pick up, but there is something about these two that I feel are going to memorable. Heck I'm excited about Akok playing and thrilled about his improved conditioning, but even that's not quite the same. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but these two guys are perfect for Hurley's preferred style of play and as UConn fans we know how devastating two quick athletic guards can be.

(Oh man that seems way too positive. I'm changing my avi to placate the mojo.)

I think besides the obvious physical talent, they also have the likable leadership, love of the game and mental make-up to process the game in real time on the court. We haven’t had that combination in a long time with the possible exception of Gilbert.
These were all factors in Chief’s dam break forecast last year.

Reaction Score
Gaffney will be the guy who lags in year-1 a bit. Maybe he doesn't, but my guess is he does relative to his peers. By year 3/4... he's a monster guys. A total, terrifying, holy crap monster.

Reaction Score
Gaffney will be the guy who lags in year-1 a bit. Maybe he doesn't, but my guess is he does relative to his peers. By year 3/4... he's a monster guys. A total, terrifying, holy crap monster.
We need to tone down the expectations for freshmen. Kemba, Bazz and even Ray didn't exactly light the world on fire their freshmen seasons. We'll see potential but it will be the returning players who win and lose games.

pj

Reaction Score
I expect a freshman campaign like Shabazz's. Which would be terrific! Shabazz's freshman line: 0 games started, 24 mpg, 7.8 points, 2.4 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.8 turnovers, 1.6 steals, 1.8 personal fouls. 33% from 3, 77% from the free throw line.

By the way, Kemba's freshman line was similar: 2 games started, 25 mpg, 8.9 points, 3.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.8 turnovers, 1.1 steals, 1.8 personal fouls, 27% from 3, 72% from the line. Given Gaffney's size his line may look more like Kemba's.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think besides the obvious physical talent, they also have the likable leadership, love of the game and mental make-up to process the game in real time on the court. We haven’t had that combination in a long time with the possible exception of Gilbert.
These were all factors in Chief’s dam break forecast last year.

Did you make this observation during the home visit?

Reaction Score
LOL - I think Coach Hurley might have played some role in the commitments.

Nonsense!

Coach doesn’t speak in the third person. Had to be your influence.

Reaction Score
Another article on Gaffney from a web site called Dave's Joint. Posted yesterday.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom