Courant Article on Geno's Infection | The Boneyard

Courant Article on Geno's Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’ll breathe a big sigh of relief when the team steps onto the court on Sunday.
455F0683-2184-4978-BBA1-0950666BA10B.jpeg

Reaction Score
very scary, now I'm worried until they get by the weekend
All of the players have continued to test negative. Assuming they are all quarantined with no contact with the outside world they should be OK.

Reaction Score
If UConn tournament ends in this way, I will be very disappointed.
Yeah imagine having to forfeit and take a loss in the first couple of rounds? Hoping that no streaks are broken due to Covid.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe a UCONN beat reporter would do this. I’ve never liked Phillipou, I’ve always thought all of her pieces were written with an underlying “I don’t like this program, but this is my job” sentiment, and this is just another example.

This is just clout chasing.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I can’t believe a UCONN beat reporter would do this. I’ve never liked Phillipou, I’ve always thought all of her pieces were written with an underlying “I don’t like this program, but this is my job” sentiment, and this is just another example.

Phillipou didn't write the story. Alex Putterman did.

Reaction Score

They did nothing but explain the existing possibilities. Relaying facts does not make anything more likely to happen. If it does it does. I think many people had this in the back of their minds already. This just clarified the possibilities.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

We disagree. She contacted three experts, and presented each of their views. One effectively said, 'no problem'. Another was more middle of the road. The third was most pessimistic. That one, at the end of the article, said that there are some positives in this case, but that it is not zero risk.

As a fan, I want good news. As a rational adult, I want objective truth. I found the article balanced and insightful. That is better than many of her columns.

Reaction Score
That was a good article. It explained a couple of things that were not clear in the earlier report.

1. He tested positive using a nucleic acid amplification test 2 days in a row. That requires 10 days of quarantine according to CDC guidelines. Or, he can return to normal contact 7 days after no longer testing positive.

2. His test showed a high cycle threshold, which supports his comment that the level of the virus was low.

While there are a number of different viewpoints expressed in the article, it is unlikely (but not impossible) that he would have transmitted the virus to others in the program. Although his infection occurred before the full protective effects of the vaccine would be manifest, evidence from Isreal indicates that transmission from people who have been vaccinated but become infected is very low.

The virus is weird. It is a fact that most people who become infected do not transmit the virus to anyone else even in the absence of vaccination. That includes members of their households with whom they are in close contact. It is mostly the "super spreaders" who typically have low cycle thresholds (high viral loads) upon testing that effectively transmit the disease.

If nobody else in the program tests positive by Sunday, the team is likely out of the wood.

Reaction Score
That was a good article. It explained a couple of things that were not clear in the earlier report.

1. He tested positive using a nucleic acid amplification test 2 days in a row. That requires 10 days of quarantine according to CDC guidelines. Or, he can return to normal contact 7 days after no longer testing positive.

2. His test showed a high cycle threshold, which supports his comment that the level of the virus was low.

While there are a number of different viewpoints expressed in the article, it is unlikely (but not impossible) that he would have transmitted the virus to others in the program. Although his infection occurred before the full protective effects of the vaccine would be manifest, evidence from Isreal indicates that transmission from people who have been vaccinated but become infected is very low.

The virus is weird. It is a fact that most people who become infected do not transmit the virus to anyone else even in the absence of vaccination. That includes members of their households with whom they are in close contact. It is mostly the "super spreaders" who typically have low cycle thresholds (high viral loads) upon testing that effectively transmit the disease.

If nobody else in the program tests positive by Sunday, the team is likely out of the wood.
Nice clarification Doc. The super spreaders are children presumably? Anybody else?

Reaction Score
In Westport last March it was a South African adult male. I don't think children are super spreaders. Just certain people.
Thanks for the response. Here in England, they keep saying that the children are super spreaders.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Thanks for the response. Here in England, they keep saying that the children are super spreaders.
Wow, in the US now they are saying we overstated the risk and infection rate in children, which is why the CDC now says a 3' social distancing and masks are fine in schools. Big push to open all the schools again now that most teachers are being vaccinated! There was an article in the Times this morning about how the UK's one shot choice has helped bring down the spread dramatically! Hearing not great in the EU though.

Reaction Score
Wow, in the US now they are saying we overstated the risk and infection rate in children, which is why the CDC now says a 3' social distancing and masks are fine in schools. Big push to open all the schools again now that most teachers are being vaccinated! There was an article in the Times this morning about how the UK's one shot choice has helped bring down the spread dramatically! Hearing not great in the EU though.
We have a lower infection rate but a higher death rate, overall. It ebbs and flows though. Some months it looks like countries know what they are doing and then they get hit hard with it. [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
We disagree. She contacted three experts, and presented each of their views. One effectively said, 'no problem'. Another was more middle of the road. The third was most pessimistic. That one, at the end of the article, said that there are some positives in this case, but that it is not zero risk.

As a fan, I want good news. As a rational adult, I want objective truth. I found the article balanced and insightful. That is better than many of her columns.
As a fan, I want good news. As a rational adult, I want objective truth.
And as a monkey?

Reaction Score
Super spreaders can be people of any age although they are more common among older groups. The condition has to do with viral load and the type and amount of aerosol particles that are exhaled.

Here is an article that does a fairly good job of explaining the phenomena. It does contain one bit of misinformation, however. The average person infected with SARS-CoV-2 does not transmit the virus to 2-3 people. That average number takes into account superspreaders. The majority of infected people don't transmit the disease to anyone else.

Super Spreaders

Reaction Score

This was a factual article pointing out different possible outcomes. It provided information I needed. You may not like the situation—who does?—but hiding from it isn’t the answer. It sounds very much to me that with Geno and Shea both out, the NCAA is doing everything they can to insure their biggest draw, UConn, remains in tourney. The players can live in a bubble but the coaches are out in the world and are now paying the price.

Reaction Score
We have a lower infection rate but a higher death rate, overall. It ebbs and flows though. Some months it looks like countries know what they are doing and then they get hit hard with it. [ ]
Darwinism at work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

This part 100%. I've tried to explain this to friends who try to use the flu analogy. We're still learning new things about it every day.

Reaction Score
Darwinism at work!
well it is nothing to do with natural selection or survival of the fittest. More to do with people just not protecting themselves, having parties, etc.

Come to think of it maybe that is a bit of natural selection, but has to do with 'quantity and efficiency of brain cells' as opposed to the ability to fight off a deadly disease....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104