Couple Thoughts | The Boneyard

Couple Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
- Before puck drop when the lights are dim, they need to put over the speakers UConnnnn... Huskiesssss
- U-C-O-N-N chant needs to be in incorporated in some fashion (maybe after a goal once play resumes? Put it up on the jumbotron and ribbon boards U C O N N come up individually, something like that.
- Need some Robbie time in the building dun-dun-du-dun-du-dun-du ROB-BIE! A play on Tuuka time. No more Robbie Nochols chants, only Rob-bie! Rob-bie! Rob-bie! We're all friends now right? :)

If anybody has anymore suggestions for gameday presentation feel free to add.

Reaction Score
Oh and is it to late to move that ND game to Hartford? Seriously Bridgeport doesn't deserve any games let alone the marque one. Drawing 2,000 people isn't going to help UConn's reach. Next year I'd like to see 14-15 games at the XLC and moving forward, no more games given to BPort.

Reaction Score
I'm sure they'll reevaluate the Bridgeport games after this year. The men's and women's basketball games there last year were very successful so if Fairfield County supports the hockey team, I'm sure they'll get another game or two next year.

Reaction Score
I'm sure they'll reevaluate the Bridgeport games after this year. The men's and women's basketball games there last year were very successful so if Fairfield County supports the hockey team, I'm sure they'll get another game or two next year.

Ok but why the best one? BC & ND games should always be in Hartford! Period.

Reaction Score
I agree. Wish Notre Dame was in Hartford. Guessing it's to try to capture some of the NYC area Notre Dame fanbase to attend in Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
Every game should be on campus, period, end of story. UConn needs to stop outsourcing its sports to Hartford.

I'm saying for the next 4 years while they play in Hartford, BB. Be a little more gracious though Hartford is what's allowing UConn to build up it's program so by the time they'll be playing at Storrs they'll be a perennial powerhouse.

Reaction Score
These are all good points. I agree that we are testing the market in Fairfield county to see how far we can penetrate that area. If an ND game doesn't do it then you can adjust from there but it should be explored. Brass, I do agree to an extent that games should be on campus, but you would NEVER get last nights atmosphere up in storrs, it just won't happen. People were able to get out of work grab dinner and go to the game. If that was in storrs, it would take an hour to get up to the campus and there is nowhere to eat up there. You wouldn't get the numbers. As the campus grows and there are more resterant options added that will help, but until then Storrs is what it is.....

Reaction Score
- Before puck drop when the lights are dim, they need to put over the speakers UConnnnn... Huskiesssss
- U-C-O-N-N chant needs to be in incorporated in some fashion (maybe after a goal once play resumes? Put it up on the jumbotron and ribbon boards U C O N N come up individually, something like that.
- Need some Robbie time in the building dun-dun-du-dun-du-dun-du ROB-BIE! A play on Tuuka time. No more Robbie Nochols chants, only Rob-bie! Rob-bie! Rob-bie! We're all friends now right? :)

If anybody has anymore suggestions for gameday presentation feel free to add.

I'm with you so far. For me, the Pep band REALLY needs to step it up. They have the ability to get things cranked up and they need to do so. Also, the student section was solid compared to what we've seen from bball and FB as of late, but it was obvious they are learning their way through the whole hockey "heckling" process. Student sections should be RELENTLESS towards the opponents goalie and team. All it takes is about 10-15 diehards to get the ball rolling and the rest will follow. I have been on the receiving end of such endeavors through the glass and trust me it has an impact on the opposing players. We will learn as we go and pick up some tricks of the trade when we visit other Hockey East programs, but all in all we are off to a great start.

Reaction Score
primus74 said:
Bridgeport weekend games also cater to some of CT's well-documented strongest hockey towns in both New Haven and Fairfield Counties. Even from Hamden or Cheshire, it's a quick run down the Parkway to Rt 8. From a fundraising perspective, attracting some Gold Coast hockey parents is easier than trying to get them to drive up 95 or 15 to 91 to Hartford.

Reaction Score
Ok but why the best one? BC & ND games should always be in Hartford! Period.
The "best" one? I would say the "best" games are BC, BU, PC and this year UMASS-Lowell. The only thing "best" about ND is their mystique of being the "best". Their next Frozen Four will be their first..just like us.

Reaction Score
The "best" one? I would say the "best" games are BC, BU, PC and this year UMASS-Lowell. The only thing "best" about ND is their mystique of being the "best". Their next Frozen Four will be their first..just like us.

When I say best I was referring to their saleability. There's no denying ND's appeal, especially in HFD county even if it's hockey. A high profiled opponent/program such as ND should have to go through the XL.

Reaction Score
When I say best I was referring to their saleability. There's no denying ND's appeal, especially in HFD county even if it's hockey. A high profiled opponent/program such as ND should have to go through the XL.
I guess we can agree to disagree on this one...I have zero problem with the hockey team playing 1HE game a year in Bridgeport...I would much rather see them play a team like ND down there than a team like I mention in my earlier post...it is cheaper for UCONN to play in Bridgeport than it is at the XL Center as well. Until this team is fully integrated into HE..I don't think it is a bad idea to play a game down in the southern part of the state...exposing the program to a extremely fertile in-state recruiting area. Once the on-campus barn is built (I'd love to see it 6500-7000 seats...but reality is it should be about 5500 seats)...I'd like to see ALL the games played on campus. Screw the city of Hartford and it's politicians...that's the reason Gampel was built to not be expandable beyond what it holds now.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I guess we can agree to disagree on this one...I have zero problem with the hockey team playing 1HE game a year in Bridgeport...I would much rather see them play a team like ND down there than a team like I mention in my earlier post...it is cheaper for UCONN to play in Bridgeport than it is at the XL Center as well. Until this team is fully integrated into HE..I don't think it is a bad idea to play a game down in the southern part of the state...exposing the program to a extremely fertile in-state recruiting area. Once the on-campus barn is built (I'd love to see it 6500-7000 seats...but reality is it should be about 5500 seats)...I'd like to see ALL the games played on campus. Screw the city of Hartford and it's politicians...that's the reason Gampel was built to not be expandable beyond what it holds now.
Don't forget the city of New Haven. IIRC, the Coliseum was still up, but was struggling a bit. There was concern that bigger Gampel might become a concert venue taking away business from New Haven.

Reaction Score

The constant digs at Hartford gets tiring. There's a lot to be said on the other side of the coin as well but all of it is ancient history and it's not worth it to rehash. I'm a Connecticut sports fan first, UConn fan 2nd and imo Hartford deserves a role in UConn athletics so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
The constant digs at Hartford gets tiring. There's a lot to be said on the other side of the coin as well but all of it is ancient history and it's not worth it to rehash. I'm a Connecticut sports fan first, UConn fan 2nd and imo Hartford deserves a role in UConn athletics so we'll have to agree to disagree.
Sorry, but no. UConn is UConn. If Hartford wants to improve itself, it needs to do it on its own volition, not on the back of UConn, and at the expense of the program. UConn would be the only hockey program in the country to not play on campus, or in the same town/very short distance from campus. College hockey is a campus sport where fanbases are built by those who followed it during their time on campus. UConn needs to stop outsourcing their events to Hartford to prop up a city that can't get its act together and make itself a desirable destination.

Reaction Score
Went to a hockey game on campus, I think about 2006 or 07, playing I believe Army. The pep band was so relentless on the Army goalie that he threw his water bottle at them. At the very next game they moved the pep band to the middle of the seating area. Guess someone complained?

That's they way the pep band should be. Get my grandson u

Reaction Score
Unfortunately like it or not the City of Hartford and it's politicians have justly earned their reputation and the shots thrown at them. If anything UCONN hockey should be used by the city to showcase itself to a NHL team looking to move.

Reaction Score
Went to a hockey game on campus, I think about 2006 or 07, playing I believe Army. The pep band was so relentless on the Army goalie that he threw his water bottle at them. At the very next game they moved the pep band to the middle of the seating area. Guess someone complained?

That's they way the pep band should be. Get my grandson u
My only complaint would be that you really should not be taking personal jabs at anyone who plays for a service academy.

Reaction Score
I'm with you so far. For me, the Pep band REALLY needs to step it up. They have the ability to get things cranked up and they need to do so. Also, the student section was solid compared to what we've seen from bball and FB as of late, but it was obvious they are learning their way through the whole hockey "heckling" process. Student sections should be RELENTLESS towards the opponents goalie and team. All it takes is about 10-15 diehards to get the ball rolling and the rest will follow. I have been on the receiving end of such endeavors through the glass and trust me it has an impact on the opposing players. We will learn as we go and pick up some tricks of the trade when we visit other Hockey East programs, but all in all we are off to a great start.

Seems to me all you need is for some of the students from UConn soccer's Goal Patrol to start showing up at the hockey games. They certainly know how to heckle opposing goalkeepers.

Reaction Score
Seems to me all you need is for some of the students from UConn soccer's Goal Patrol to start showing up at the hockey games. They certainly know how to heckle opposing goalkeepers.

Ive never been to a game, but based on your comment they get the job done Im assuming. We need to make that connection somehow. Even marginal games are made full of entertainment value with the right student section in attendance. And by that I mean off the walls nuts!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
FWIW, I think the answer is just changing the balance of the games. If you limit the number of Hartford games, you make them events. JMO.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Bridgeport weekend games also cater to some of CT's well-documented strongest hockey towns in both New Haven and Fairfield Counties. Even from Hamden or Cheshire, it's a quick run down the Parkway to Rt 8. From a fundraising perspective, attracting some Gold Coast hockey parents is easier than trying to get them to drive up 95 or 15 to 91 to Hartford.
Couldn't agree with you more on both counts. On the CR page they mention the need for our endowment to be increased. The best way to increase it is through engagement that brings donations. Donations always go up in championship seasons because folks feel good about their school. This is a way to get Fairfield County to feel good about their state school.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but no. UConn is UConn. If Hartford wants to improve itself, it needs to do it on its own volition, not on the back of UConn, and at the expense of the program. UConn would be the only hockey program in the country to not play on campus, or in the same town/very short distance from campus. College hockey is a campus sport where fanbases are built by those who followed it during their time on campus. UConn needs to stop outsourcing their events to Hartford to prop up a city that can't get its act together and make itself a desirable destination.

UConn is building it's hockey program from the ground up on the back of Hartford, without Hartford we'd have to wait another 4 years to even begin play.

I still don't see the problem with playing 3-4 games there once the team moves permanently to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately like it or not the City of Hartford and it's politicians have justly earned their reputation and the shots thrown at them. If anything UCONN hockey should be used by the city to showcase itself to a NHL team looking to move.

I agree 100% and I believe that's the plan. I'd be the happiest person in the World if the Whalers came back and UConn played 2-3 games a year at the new XLC.

Whalers return, new XLC, UConn in the ACC/B1G, expanded Rent is my wishlist. I also think our market could be a fit for MLS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom