Couple observations from tonight... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Couple observations from tonight...

Reaction Score
For those who went to the game last night, how did the screening for vax cards go? Not trying to debate it's right/wrong, just simply how was it?

Reaction Score
This is the second year in a row they are bad. If they are bad again next year, it will be a trend.
once is a fluke. twice is a coincidence. three [years] is a trend. we were bad for 3 years in a row under ollie too. the BE is just fine the way it is so please dont turn this into another conference realignment frenzy.

Reaction Score
Worth noting that Polley looked way more aggressive, even mixing it up in the lane. I think he had a tip in off a miss. Need more of that from Polley.
Polly had a great game, really drove and shot, mixed it up underneath. We don't lose much and gain some outside with him playing like he currently is.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i learned everything that i need to know aboot coach butler when they did a look see into their huddle last nite.
forget that guy.
im sure he's prolly a saint, kind to stray cats, the whole schmear. and, he's been there long enuf to have 'his guys' in 'his system.'
fail.

Reaction Score
We need to mention the other important players:
images

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Our defense has become really fun to watch. No easy buckets against this squad.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Butler is bad and the Huskies played great. The only way last night could have gone badly is if someone got hurt. I don't see Butler beating any of the top 3-4 teams in the league.

Butler should be better. Major conference affiliation, 3 hours from Chicago and in the heart of basketball country, plus being in a city, there is a lot to recruit with. Jordan just isn't getting it done. He will be fired at the end of the season and Butler will find someone that can get it done.

Reaction Score
I agree that is our “core four”, but it’s a stretch to call them elite when each player has at least one glaring hole in their game (Sanogo is the only one that I would consider).
My lithmus test for a strong roster: Are there 2 lottery picks, 2 first rounders at least getting minutes together?

The right now verdict for me is that it all depends on Hawk next year. Will he and Adama both be starters? I would hope so.

No one else on the roster appears at that level to me.....Samson being the big unknown.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Butler was a tomato can. A nice confidence builder and a chance for guys to expand their roles, but not much else. No one is making the Ring of Honor based on last night.

Hopefully a string of easy double digit wins will comtinue for a while.

Reaction Score
My lithmus test for a strong roster: Are there 2 lottery picks, 2 first rounders at least getting minutes together?

The right now verdict for me is that it all depends on Hawk next year. Will he and Adama both be starters? I would hope so.

No one else on the roster appears at that level to me.....Samson being the big unknown.
So you’re not sold on Jackson?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
For those who went to the game last night, how did the screening for vax cards go? Not trying to debate it's right/wrong, just simply how was it?

Simple, my guy didn't even ask for an ID and there was no line to get in (which I was expecting)

Reaction Score
So you’re not sold on Jackson?
Not just yet and I wish. No doubt on athleticism at all. Too small - IMHO - for a League 3. Needs much better handle and shot for a 2. Someone will give him a shot; not sold on lottery caliber or 1st round just yet..

Most are gone after 2...3 max years.

edit: you can argue this is a virtual first year for him. Granted.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not just yet and I wish. No doubt on athleticism at all. Too small - IMHO - for a League 3. Needs much better handle and shot for a 2. Someone will give him a shot; not sold on lottery caliber or 1st round just yet..

Most are gone after 2...3 max years.

edit: you can argue this is a virtual first year for him. Granted.
Too small? That’s an off observation

Reaction Score
I don't think their current coach is the guy, but I don't think they are on the path nor will end up like DePaul.

DePaul has a non-existent fanbase playing in an arena that isn't exactly in the middle of campus (granted it looks decent). It's been a doormat for a long time, a reallllly long time, last making the NCAA Tournament in 2004.

Butler would have to go another 15 years without making the tourney to match that and reach that level of apathy by fans. They also play in that historic arena in the middle of campus with a passionate fanbase.

And basketball is easier to fix than football. Look at UConn coming back from the dead with Hurley going from KenPom 179 to whatever they are today, or were last year, look at Shaka at Marquette. All it takes is making the investment, which Butler does in this sport.

It's an easier ship to turn around. Unfortunately for their coach it has steadily gotten worse under his watch. I don't know if it is just injury luck with the team but that is the fact of the matter.

He is an alum of the university so I imagine they are struggling in the worst of ways like UConn did, St. John's did, and Georgetown is currently wading through how to navigate treatment of a program alum.

You want to be respectful but also understand it is actively damaging the larger institution.

There are a lot of good candidates they could go after to get Butler back to being decent. They should give a long hard look at Niko Medved at Colorado State. A midwestern guy from Minneapolis graduating from Minnesota. Dude has turned around multiple programs. Would be perfect for them.
I agree their current coach is not the guy. In our game on Tuesday, he wasted half or more of every timeout jawing at the refs. they are not showing the hurdles tonight so I cant see if he is doing the same thing.

Reaction Score
1) Gaffney didn't play much. Hurley is close to shrinking the rotation to 8.

2) It might have been a mistake for the Big East to add Butler. They have a historic arena but I think going forward they are really going to struggle in the league (like DePaul). This is the second year in a row they are bad. If they are bad again next year, it will be a trend. That's bad news for a program that isn't an original Big East program.

3) We officially have four elite players- Sanogo, Cole, Martin, and Jackson. I think this team can get hot. If you look at the ESPN projections, they have us finishing 23-7 (if you include the BET: 25-8). That's at worst a 4 seed. That sets us up nicely for a Sweet 16 run.

4) If those four come back next year, we are a national title contender.
I cant figure out what happened to DePaul. Chicago high school basketball turns out many great players. I know its ancient history, but whenRay Meyer was there they sold out the suburban Rosemont Horizon every game. Now they are downtown in a new arena and DePaul can’t draw fans or top players

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom