Couple observations from tonight... | The Boneyard

Couple observations from tonight...

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
1) Gaffney didn't play much. Hurley is close to shrinking the rotation to 8.

2) It might have been a mistake for the Big East to add Butler. They have a historic arena but I think going forward they are really going to struggle in the league (like DePaul). This is the second year in a row they are bad. If they are bad again next year, it will be a trend. That's bad news for a program that isn't an original Big East program.

3) We officially have four elite players- Sanogo, Cole, Martin, and Jackson. I think this team can get hot. If you look at the ESPN projections, they have us finishing 23-7 (if you include the BET: 25-8). That's at worst a 4 seed. That sets us up nicely for a Sweet 16 run.

4) If those four come back next year, we are a national title contender.

Reaction Score
LaVall Jordan is very much on the hot seat. He had a few good years early on with Holtmann players, but as is evident tonight the talent just isn’t there. Tough place to recruit in the heart of Big 10 county — you’d have to think DePaul is on a better projection than them at this point which is crazy to say.

Unless something miraculous happens (ex. winning the BET like Ewing did last year) he is gone. Although that probably won’t even save Ewing’s job a year later so…

Reaction Score
3) We officially have four elite players- Sanogo, Cole, Martin, and Jackson. I think this team can get hot. If you look at the ESPN projections, they have us finishing 23-7 (if you include the BET: 25-8). That's at worst a 4 seed. That sets us up nicely for a Sweet 16 run.

I agree that is our “core four”, but it’s a stretch to call them elite when each player has at least one glaring hole in their game (Sanogo is the only one that I would consider).

Reaction Score
I agree that is our “core four”, but it’s a stretch to call them elite when each player has at least one glaring hole in their game (Sanogo is the only one that I would consider).
If Jackson can keep doing what he's doing while cutting down on the dumb plays that happen at least once a game (stripped in the backcourt off a rebound leading to an easy dunk, tipping rebounds instead of grabbing them), he can get to that next level.

Reaction Score
If Jackson can keep doing what he's doing while cutting down on the dumb plays that happen at least once a game (stripped in the backcourt off a rebound leading to an easy dunk, tipping rebounds instead of grabbing them), he can get to that next level.

His mistakes are almost never out of lack of effort. I have zero doubt he will continue to improve this area of his game. Wouldn't have said that a few games ago. Kid just keeps getting better!

Reaction Score
2) It might have been a mistake for the Big East to add Butler. They have a historic arena but I think going forward they are really going to struggle in the league (like DePaul). This is the second year in a row they are bad. If they are bad again next year, it will be a trend. That's bad news for a program that isn't an original Big East program.
I don't think their current coach is the guy, but I don't think they are on the path nor will end up like DePaul.

DePaul has a non-existent fanbase playing in an arena that isn't exactly in the middle of campus (granted it looks decent). It's been a doormat for a long time, a reallllly long time, last making the NCAA Tournament in 2004.

Butler would have to go another 15 years without making the tourney to match that and reach that level of apathy by fans. They also play in that historic arena in the middle of campus with a passionate fanbase.

And basketball is easier to fix than football. Look at UConn coming back from the dead with Hurley going from KenPom 179 to whatever they are today, or were last year, look at Shaka at Marquette. All it takes is making the investment, which Butler does in this sport.

It's an easier ship to turn around. Unfortunately for their coach it has steadily gotten worse under his watch. I don't know if it is just injury luck with the team but that is the fact of the matter.

He is an alum of the university so I imagine they are struggling in the worst of ways like UConn did, St. John's did, and Georgetown is currently wading through how to navigate treatment of a program alum.

You want to be respectful but also understand it is actively damaging the larger institution.

There are a lot of good candidates they could go after to get Butler back to being decent. They should give a long hard look at Niko Medved at Colorado State. A midwestern guy from Minneapolis graduating from Minnesota. Dude has turned around multiple programs. Would be perfect for them.

Reaction Score
3) We officially have four elite players- Sanogo, Cole, Martin, and Jackson.
Martin is far from elite. More of an enigma. Has both ability and toughness, but is guaranteed to miss every shot at the rim if he’s defended.

When he goes up he’s focused on one thing, not letting his shot get blocked. Loses all awareness of where the basket is as he releases the ball. I’ve never seen a player more discombobulated about getting their shot blocked than Martin.

Reaction Score
Gaffney has played 7, 10 (2 when Cole fouled out), 7, 11 (3 in garbage time with the freshmen) the last 4 games. Make of that what you will

He’s not falling out of the rotation, because as we saw last night there is no choice but to let him play when Cole rests. But at the beginning of the season he was also getting minutes alongside Cole, and that is pretty much gone at this point. So unless he starts playing better, he’s an 8 minute a game player unless RJ is hurt or in foul trouble.

He is capable of playing better than he has this year. Hopefully he gets over the mental hump.

Reaction Score
Martin is far from elite. More of an enigma. Has both ability and toughness, but is guaranteed to miss every shot at the rim if he’s defended.

When he goes up he’s focused on one thing, not letting his shot get blocked. Loses all awareness of where the basket is as he releases the ball. I’ve never seen a player more discombobulated about getting their shot blocked than Martin.
Martin is an enigma. He’ll have games where he dominates scoring but even on an off night he grabbed 8 rebounds.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Martin is an enigma. He’ll have games where he dominates scoring but even on an off night he grabbed 8 rebounds.

It's weird with Martin. Seems like in the rock fight games that end in the 50's or low 60's, he is one of UConn's better scorers. The more UConn goes up tempo and gets in to the 70's and 80's the less effective he is.

The rebounds were good last night but man Martin was brutal to watch.

Reaction Score
He’s not falling out of the rotation, because as we saw last night there is no choice but to let him play when Cole rests. But at the beginning of the season he was also getting minutes alongside Cole, and that is pretty much gone at this point. So unless he starts playing better, he’s an 8 minute a game player unless RJ is hurt or in foul trouble.

He is capable of playing better than he has this year. Hopefully he gets over the mental hump.
I actually think Gaffney would be more effective playing off the ball as a slasher/shooter and secondary distributor, but we don't really have the luxury to play him that way.

Reaction Score
I actually think Gaffney would be more effective playing off the ball as a slasher/shooter and secondary distributor, but we don't really have the luxury to play him that way.
nor the proof

Reaction Score
Martin is less effective on offense due to his injury. Still giving it all out there and trying to make plays on both ends, healthy he's our 3rd option, in current state he is trick or treat. That's ok b/c Jackson's offense is emergent and Polley is showing some consistency. If Akok can carve a consistent role than the Huskies can compete with good teams even when Martin's offense is off.

Hawkins is like a role player in the NBA = going to be good at home, but different player on the road. Need to keep getting him minutes to develop his game and prove to him that his handle needs to be much tighter for his athleticism to emerge at major college level.

I thought UConn's secondary ballhandlers (Jackson & Martin) did a nice job relieving the burden on Cole - key for that to be an option against better teams.

Reaction Score
LaVall Jordan is very much on the hot seat. He had a few good years early on with Holtmann players, but as is evident tonight the talent just isn’t there. Tough place to recruit in the heart of Big 10 county — you’d have to think DePaul is on a better projection than them at this point which is crazy to say.
Fair point.

I think Jordan is a decent X and O's guy. Also considering that Thompson (#175 in '17), Golden (#224 in '18), Harris ('169 in '20) and Taylor (#240 in '21) are all HS recruits playing starters' minutes, he seems like a good player development coach too.

But yeah, Butler is not bringing in enough Big East caliber talent. Not sure if that's all on Jordan, but I'd be really curious to see how he would coach at the mid-major level.

Reaction Score
Fair point.

I think Jordan is a decent X and O's guy. Also considering that Thompson (#175 in '17), Golden (#224 in '18), Harris ('169 in '20) and Taylor (#240 in '21) are all HS recruits playing starters' minutes, he seems like a good player development coach too.

But yeah, Butler is not bringing in enough Big East caliber talent. Not sure if that's all on Jordan, but I'd be really curious to see how he would coach at the mid-major level.

Recruiting and developing talent are the #1 and #2 most important parts of the job. There's only so much you can do when you can't recruit elite talent though.

Ultimately, most of the Xs and Os stuff isn't much more complicated than pretty good high school basketball. The players are bigger and stronger and the game moves faster, but a lot of the ideas are the same. Recruiting and developing high level talent are (imo) what separates decent from good or great coaches.

Now, when you get recruiting, development, AND a creative and responsive Xs and Os mind... then you get generational talents like Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Martin is less effective on offense due to his injury. Still giving it all out there and trying to make plays on both ends, healthy he's our 3rd option, in current state he is trick or treat. That's ok b/c Jackson's offense is emergent and Polley is showing some consistency. If Akok can carve a consistent role than the Huskies can compete with good teams even when Martin's offense is off.

Hawkins is like a role player in the NBA = going to be good at home, but different player on the road. Need to keep getting him minutes to develop his game and prove to him that his handle needs to be much tighter for his athleticism to emerge at major college level.

I thought UConn's secondary ballhandlers (Jackson & Martin) did a nice job relieving the burden on Cole - key for that to be an option against better teams.
Though I agree his handle has to improve he was cognizant of protecting the ball on the drives he did do in the game. He has to keep being assertive on offense like last night when his outside shot is not falling as he has the athletic and basketball skills to still drive even if his handle is not as good as it needs to be at this point.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We officially have four elite players- Sanogo, Cole, Martin, and Jackson.

These are arguably UConn's 4 most consistent players this season and worthy of starter minutes
Elite? - not one of them - at least as of yet - Sanogo and Jackson COULD be but both have so much to work on before even sniffing elite
In my eyes there is one player on this years roster that has the tools to be elite but hasn't brought the goods to the table yet.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score

These are arguably UConn's 4 most consistent players this season and worthy of starter minutes
Elite? - not one of them - at least as of yet - Sanogo and Jackson COULD be but both have so much to work on before even sniffing elite
In my eyes there is one player on this years roster that has the tools to be elite but hasn't brought the goods to the table yet.
Sanogo did something his last 3 games with 15+ boards and 3+ blocks that hasn't been done since Tim Duncan. He scored 30 on Auburn who should be #1 in the country. He might be BE POY. Saying he's not elite is actually laughable.

Reaction Score
Sanogo did something his last 3 games with 15+ boards and 3+ blocks that hasn't been done since Tim Duncan. He scored 30 on Auburn who should be #1 in the country. He might be BE POY. Saying he's not elite is actually laughable.

As someone who tends to the realistic side of Sanogo's NBA potential, I think this is correct. Yeah, he wasn't good offensively last night, but since coming back from the injury the totality of his game to me does fit the definition of an elite player, as he's in the discussion as to the best player in a power conference. As a sophomore.

But if someone's definition of "elite" has nothing to do with college basketball, but is based upon potential to be an NBA star instead of a college star, o.k.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
As someone who tends to the realistic side of Sanogo's NBA potential, I think this is correct. Yeah, he wasn't good offensively last night, but since coming back from the injury the totality of his game to me does fit the definition of an elite player, as he's in the discussion as to the best player in a power conference. As a sophomore.

But if someone's definition of "elite" has nothing to do with college basketball, but is based upon potential to be an NBA star instead of a college star, o.k.
I think of NBA caliber talent as the elite of the elite. But to each their own.

Reaction Score
His value as a secondary ballhandler/distributor has largely been replaced by AJax, who is now showing he can space the floor at least as well also. That role was up in the air at the beginning of the season, but unfortunately Gaffney just does not bring enough in the scoring or defense department to take the minutes away from AJax/Polley/Martin.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
85A35743-67EA-4F2D-9F5A-5E65321A93C7.jpeg

Reaction Score
I think of NBA caliber talent as the elite of the elite. But to each their own.
Need to quickly swerve away from a season long debate over the definition of elite. Is UConn officially back in the blue blood conversation?!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom