Couple different Tweeters saying GT &VT... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Couple different Tweeters saying GT &VT...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i saw that map, enjoyed it. but the amount of bcs talent that comes from ohio, nj and pa alone is enought o fill all recruiting slots for the b10 every year. add any where else and its gravy. recruiting is not the issue. cable boxes and population are.

There are now 12 teams in the Big10. Only Ohio produces enough talent. Pa. doesn't even produce enough for Pitt and PSU. Big10 teams are not setting the world on fire, largely because of a talent deficit. If you're irrelevant at the very top of the rankings, how are you going to drive eyeballs to your cable product?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
There are now 12 teams in the Big10. Only Ohio produces enough talent. Pa. doesn't even produce enough for Pitt and PSU. Big10 teams are not setting the world on fire, largely because of a talent deficit. If you're irrelevant at the very top of the rankings, how are you going to drive eyeballs to your cable product?

14 teams. b10 areas cover themselves in recruiting. its not florida or texas kids tho which they need to recruit better but thats not something they are going to fix by adding g tech. b10 schools have huge fanbases that are loyal.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
ESPN can stop all this movement. All it takes is money.

Reaction Score
Politics will play no part with Virginia. Politicians are not going to doom both schools to a lame conferences for the sake of equality and there is jack they can do to tell another conference what to do. My gut says B1G takes Virginia and UNC. But history says the result will be unexpected

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

But if VT threatened to leave Virginia in the wake, don't you'd think Virginia could call up the governor and have him basically tie UVA to VT? It's not all that different from what VT once did to UVA. Obviously it would depend on UVA wanting to go. But if UVA could block VT's exit, it probably helps out Virginia's goals should they want to stay. And not sure how it screws both, as both seem to be possible targets of both the SEC and Big 10. What are these conferences going to do? Move on and take someone else instead?

If you believe what you read online, the Big 10 has interest in apparently 10 or so schools, ranging from BC to Notre Dame to UVA to VT to GT to UNC to who only knows. They're not taking them all and I doubt they seriously consider most of them. Virginia and North Carolina remain the keys to both SEC and Big 10 expansion. If those schools hold tight (which they may or may not do), then the only school that would break the ACC would be FSU. FSU seems off the table for both the SEC and Big 10. And it's still hard to see why FSU would move to the Big 12. The Big 12 does not have the cash cow network that the Big 10 has or SEC will have. They never will with the Longhorn Network out there. And even if they somehow got one, they'd be selling it to a select small group of crappy states (West Virginia, Kansas, Iowa, Oklahoma) and Texas.

The point being, if VT gets antsy and UVA can block them, it could save the ACC.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
one factor with fsu is they have explored a seminole network in fl i think. it wouldnt be anyhting like the lonnghorn network but that $ could be big and thats not possible with the acc, it is possible in the b12.

Reaction Score
one factor with fsu is they have explored a seminole network in fl i think. it wouldnt be anyhting like the lonnghorn network but that $ could be big and thats not possible with the acc, it is possible in the b12.

I have a really hard time buying that. FSU isn't even the flagship school in the state. That's Florida. So you're telling me that the Longhorn network, which is backed by ESPN, can't make money, but a second tier school in a smaller state will? There's no logical way to believe this will make any significant money. Hell, FSU's share of the Maryland exit fee would cover that and then some.

Reaction Score
Many times over the years it has been posted here that the Big 10 very strongly desires - to the point of virtually requiring - that its members (1) be in states contiguous with the states of existing members, (2) be members of the Association of American Universities and (3) be their states flagship public universities. Rutgers and MD meet those three requirements. There are of course historical reasons for the inclusion of Northwestern, but it is a member of the AAU in a core Big 10 State. Indiana and Michigan, as well Illinois (with Northwestern), have two universities each in the conference, but Purdue and to a lesser degree Michigan State have a degree of "flagshipness" - after all they are AAU members. With MD in UVA makes all requirements and with UVA in UNC would make all three. I do not believe NC State and VA Tech have the requisite caché as a flagship and neither are members of the AAU. The university presidents have a say in this whole deal and they would love to be associated with UVA and UNC. (I know Nebraska isn't an AAU member, but I think they were when they first came under consideration for the Big 10). CT is not contiguous with a Big 10 state and UCONN is not an AAU member. Besides, as far as recruiting potential, population and viewership potential, CT cannot match VA or NC. So just forget about UCONN, VA Tech or NC State going to the Big 10. The reality is that UCONN is going to have to settle for whatever is left of the ACC or Big East. Unfortunately I get the impression that this guy Swofford and the ADs in the ACC might have more say in what happens there than they would in the B1G - so I worry a bit about Louisville being taken into the ACC over UCONN.

Reaction Score
Many times over the years it has been posted here that the Big 10 very strongly desires - to the point of virtually requiring - that its members (1) be in states contiguous with the states of existing members, (2) be members of the Association of American Universities and (3) be their states flagship public universities. Rutgers and MD meet those three requirements. There are of course historical reasons for the inclusion of Northwestern, but it is a member of the AAU in a core Big 10 State. Indiana and Michigan, as well Illinois (with Northwestern), have two universities each in the conference, but Purdue and to a lesser degree Michigan State have a degree of "flagshipness" - after all they are AAU members. With MD in UVA makes all requirements and with UVA in UNC would make all three. I do not believe NC State and VA Tech have the requisite caché as a flagship and neither are members of the AAU. The university presidents have a say in this whole deal and they would love to be associated with UVA and UNC. (I know Nebraska isn't an AAU member, but I think they were when they first came under consideration for the Big 10). CT is not contiguous with a Big 10 state and UCONN is not an AAU member. Besides, as far as recruiting potential, population and viewership potential, CT cannot match VA or NC. So just forget about UCONN, VA Tech or NC State going to the Big 10. The reality is that UCONN is going to have to settle for whatever is left of the ACC or Big East. Unfortunately I get the impression that this guy Swofford and the ADs in the ACC might have more say in what happens there than they would in the B1G - so I worry a bit about Louisville being taken into the ACC over UCONN.

Nothing more credible than new posters showing up as UConn fans and telling us we're doomed. What a treat.

Reaction Score
i dont buy this at all. the b10 has ohio, pa, nj and md/dc now recruiting wise. they dont need to worry. .

Right.
Rose Bowl: 1-9 in last 10 appearances
Last appearance in the top 4 of the final AP poll: 2006
Avg # of teams in final top 10:
2008-12: 1.4​
2003-07: 2.0​

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Nothing more credible than new posters showing up as UConn fans and telling us we're doomed. What a treat.

I don't agree with some of the supposition of that post either (though its certainly not far fetched), but good work in discouraging new posters from joining in the discussion/debate. I read it as just another post, no more or less credible than a Spackler diatribe or bizlaw retort.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with some of the supposition of that post either (though its certainly not far fetched), but good work in discouraging new posters from joining in the discussion/debate. I read it as just another post, no more or less credible than a Spackler diatribe or bizlaw retort.

You are entitled to your opinion but I couldn't disagree more. In no community do you show up new, tell everyone they're doomed and get treated as if you're serious. If the poster is a serious UConn fan, he can build credibility by talking about a game or waiting for a moment that is not a crisis.

pj

Reaction Score
even worse when they are right

He's not right. The only correct things he said are that big, well-funded (which is effectively what AAU means), state flagship universities that make geographic sense are attractive -- duh -- and that UVa and UNC would be attractive to the B1G. As far as the other points, UConn is (a) almost an AAU university -- virtually identical in AAU criteria to Nebraska which just got kicked out of the AAU but is a B1G member, and the B1G knew it was getting kicked out when they added it, indeed B1G schools supported their ejection -- and (b) effectively contiguous to the B1G footprint -- Connecticut is what 13 miles from New Jersey, and UConn has more fans in metro NYC than any NY university, also the most fans in New England of any local school, so if you want the NY & NE markets you go for UConn next. It also has a respected national brand (thank you Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma).

Also, UVa and UNC are very complex deals for the B1G to pull off, as they would effectively need the support of their state governments, which would require that Va Tech and NC State find good homes in SEC or B12. So B1G would need SEC and B12 to raid the ACC, ESPN would oppose it since the ACC is their cash cow, and is the B12 TV contract even signed yet? There are many moving parts here.

If ND becomes willing to move to the B1G, then the B1G will take them immediately and their one easy partner to add is UConn. BC would be a possibility if ND feels obliged to look out for their fellow Catholics.

If the ACC is torn apart and UVa and UNC do move to B1G, FSU and Clemson to B12, NC State and Va Tech to SEC, then that leaves ND and either Ga Tech or UConn to fill two spots in the B1G. Loser gets the ACC/BE/MW leftovers conference.

Reaction Score
He's not right. The only correct things he said are that big, well-funded (which is effectively what AAU means), state flagship universities that make geographic sense are attractive -- duh -- and that UVa and UNC would be attractive to the B1G. As far as the other points, UConn is (a) almost an AAU university -- virtually identical in AAU criteria to Nebraska which just got kicked out of the AAU but is a B1G member, and the B1G knew it was getting kicked out when they added it, indeed B1G schools supported their ejection -- and (b) effectively contiguous to the B1G footprint -- Connecticut is what 13 miles from New Jersey, and UConn has more fans in metro NYC than any NY university, also the most fans in New England of any local school, so if you want the NY & NE markets you go for UConn next. It also has a respected national brand (thank you Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma).

Also, UVa and UNC are very complex deals for the B1G to pull off, as they would effectively need the support of their state governments, which would require that Va Tech and NC State find good homes in SEC or B12. So B1G would need SEC and B12 to raid the ACC, ESPN would oppose it since the ACC is their cash cow, and is the B12 TV contract even signed yet? There are many moving parts here.

If ND becomes willing to move to the B1G, then the B1G will take them immediately and their one easy partner to add is UConn. BC would be a possibility if ND feels obliged to look out for their fellow Catholics.

If the ACC is torn apart and UVa and UNC do move to B1G, FSU and Clemson to B12, NC State and Va Tech to SEC, then that leaves ND and either Ga Tech or UConn to fill two spots in the B1G. Loser gets the ACC/BE/MW leftovers conference.

I want to believe that UCONN would be the obvious play if the B1G were looking to lock-up New England, but we have been on the market for a while and here we still sit...and potentially going to ACC any minute now. Any thoughts on what this could mean for us aside from:

1.) They are not high on New England, or at least prefer their southern strategy as a first priority
2.) They are lining up a YES-like arrangement with NESN as the trojan horse, and until that is done they are not going to make a move. I would think BC would be the winner here, just as Rutgers was the choice earlier...closer in proximity to the market in question, and a more natural fit to encourage the major media (out of Boston) to cover the B1G
3.) They are high on New England, and have designs to wiggle BC free with the belief that no one university carries Boston or New England, but BC comes the closest (I find this the hardest to believe given what we all know to be true) or at least claims Boston by virtue of proximity

In my opinion the worst case scenario for us is B1G scoops up BC/Cuse and leaves UCONN on an island completely isolated, left to rot and die so the CT market can eventually be claimed by Michigan, OSU, Penn State, Rutgers and private-school as* clowns.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have no idea why people think culture and religion matter. We are not looking for wives here.
Speak for yourself. Fishy has already committed to getting an Asian bride so....

Reaction Score
In my opinion the worst case scenario for us is B1G scoops up BC/Cuse and leaves UCONN on an island completely isolated, left to rot and die so the CT market can eventually be claimed by Michigan, OSU, Penn State, Rutgers and private-school as* clowns.
It's possible that they skip over UConn. I don't think it's possible that the state starts giving a crap about those other schools. The only people in CT who care about those schools are alums or transplants. I don't think that would change, especially because a BC move to the B1G would assure UConn in ACC.

Look, there are a lot of people in CT and New England in general, I think, who are in my boat: young, and just at the stage of life to be financially sound enough to invest in going to games on a regular basis. I don't really care that much about football.

But if UConn is bringing in PSU, Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin, etc. or Florida State, Clemson, VT, etc., I'm likely going to invest in season tickets. I'll drive in from Boston and make it happen, and start giving a crap because there's a reason to care.

If they are playing Houston, SMU, Temple, San Diego, I'm not going to. Not because I don't want to, but because the tickets are expensive, and those games aren't worth the investment for me considering I'm not wealthy.

Point being--there are a ton of potential NE fans that aren't captured yet. That can only change if there's a school to make them give a crap in a major conference. BC just doesn't have the pull as a small, Catholic college. UConn has the potential.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's possible that they skip over UConn. I don't think it's possible that the state starts giving a crap about those other schools. The only people in CT who care about those schools are alums or transplants. I don't think that would change, especially because a BC move to the B1G would assure UConn in ACC.

Look, there are a lot of people in CT and New England in general, I think, who are in my boat: young, and just at the stage of life to be financially sound enough to invest in going to games on a regular basis. I don't really care that much about football.

But if UConn is bringing in PSU, Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin, etc. or Florida State, Clemson, VT, etc., I'm likely going to invest in season tickets. I'll drive in from Boston and make it happen, and start giving a crap because there's a reason to care.

If they are playing Houston, SMU, Temple, San Diego, I'm not going to. Not because I don't want to, but because the tickets are expensive, and those games aren't worth the investment for me considering I'm not wealthy.

Anyone in the AD interested in marketing Uconn Football needs to read and understand the last two paragraphs. This conference thing is scout $ and stability but, it's also about who is on your schedule. I get scheduling down to make bowl games in the early years, it's time to schedule up to fill the seats.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You are entitled to your opinion but I couldn't disagree more. In no community do you show up new, tell everyone they're doomed and get treated as if you're serious. If the poster is a serious UConn fan, he can build credibility by talking about a game or waiting for a moment that is not a crisis.

Why would one need to talk about a game on this board first to have any credibility? Maybe they already talk about the games on other forums (like me) and came here specifically because of the crisis because it's more intriguing (like me). Maybe they used to have an account here with an email addy from an ISP that no longer exists and had to create a new account because they couldn't recall their original screen name or the now useless email addy (like me).

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Why would one need to talk about a game on this board first to have any credibility? Maybe they already talk about the games on other forums (like me) and came here specifically because of the crisis because it's more intriguing (like me). Maybe they used to have an account here with an email addy from an ISP that no longer exists and had to create a new account because they couldn't recall their original screen name or the now useless email addy (like me).

sshhhhhh; you only have 15 posts, so you're not credible.

Reaction Score

If we were that attractive, we'd already be someplace better. You need to be invited to the AAU, just like you need to be invited to other conferences. We're getting better in academics and research, and are good enough to compete nationally in many sports, and win. It's tougher in football, but I have no sense that we can't do it there too if given an opportunity and a reasonably level playing field.

Reaction Score
If we were that attractive, we'd already be someplace better. You need to be invited to the AAU, just like you need to be invited to other conferences. We're getting better in academics and research, and are good enough to compete nationally in many sports, and win. It's tougher in football, but I have no sense that we can't do it there too if given an opportunity and a reasonably level playing field.

So, what changed last week to suddenly make Rutgers attractive to the B1G?

Using your logic, if Rutgers was that attractive previously, they would have already been somewhere else.

Reaction Score

BL, If you think I popped up here out of nowhere to express doom for UConn fans you misunderstand me. I have been reading the Boneyard off and on for years. To place me on your timeline of (un)acceptable longevity I started paying attention to the Boneyard from about the time when we began the move up from 1AA and a poster named Cali Chic was singing the praises of Skip Holtz as compared to Randy Edsall. I don't know enough about X's and O's to make many worthwhile comments about what happens in the games - I come here to see what people like you post. I have posted here before, long ago, but when I tried to get involved recently I couldn't seem to get in under an old username and password. I probably hadn't posted more than a dozen times anyway.

I just think it is more productive to be realistic about what our chances are in the conference realignment wars. UConn deserves better, but being in a New ACC or a NNNBig East(/West) are the most likely outcomes so let's just get used to it. If some think that means we are doomed I would disagree. I'd rather see some discussion about how UConn could make the most out of the likely scenarios.

BTW BizLaw, I have always looked forward to your football team assessments by position and your game reports. Thanks much for them.

Reaction Score
To B1G.Supposedly more to come as well. Mostly from Swaim so far. That's a bit of a blow to the ACC as well as SEC and big 12 with respect to their plans

Big 12 is not that stable, doesn't have such great markets apart from Texas, and is living on an artificial contract that ESPN gifted them to keep them from falling apart just a year or two ago, paying over-market, remember? ESPN will eventually re-do the ACC contract before it all blows apart.

Reaction Score
I want to believe that UCONN would be the obvious play if the B1G were looking to lock-up New England, but we have been on the market for a while and here we still sit...and potentially going to ACC any minute now. Any thoughts on what this could mean for us aside from:

1.) They are not high on New England, or at least prefer their southern strategy as a first priority
2.) They are lining up a YES-like arrangement with NESN as the trojan horse, and until that is done they are not going to make a move. I would think BC would be the winner here, just as Rutgers was the choice earlier...closer in proximity to the market in question, and a more natural fit to encourage the major media (out of Boston) to cover the B1G
3.) They are high on New England, and have designs to wiggle BC free with the belief that no one university carries Boston or New England, but BC comes the closest (I find this the hardest to believe given what we all know to be true) or at least claims Boston by virtue of proximity

UConn to Big 10 makes sense, but only along with ND or in some similar expansion scenario with another team. Personally, I felt like Missouri wanted the Big 10 badly and would probably re-consider SEC membership if they were offered. You along with them might be a good package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom