Couple different Tweeters saying GT &VT... | The Boneyard

Couple different Tweeters saying GT &VT...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To B1G.Supposedly more to come as well. Mostly from Swaim so far. That's a bit of a blow to the ACC as well as SEC and big 12 with respect to their plans

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I'm not buying that.

I think the B1G would prefer UVa to VT, and would prefer to take UNC or stay north, rather than jump down to Georgia.

We'll see though, I also didn't think they'd ever really take Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I really wish that this forum had an "unlike" button.

Reaction Score
All I'm seeing is some random guy, no description of who he is, tweeted about it and Swaim RT'd and added he's hearing the same.

Reaction Score
Sheesh... on Thanksgiving? Hard to believe GT... as in really hard

Reaction Score
I'll believe that when I see it. But, as others have said, since this process started I've seen plenty I don't believe.

Reaction Score
Impossible? Sure, RU was impossible too, but I have trouble seeing them wanting a southern school in an area the b1g schools don't have a large alumni base. DC and NYC is one thing, that's a fairly strong b1g alumni stronghold, Atlanta is not.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I really wish that this forum had an "unlike" button.
Seriously don't read the . It's all rumor at this point so stay out of the threads instead of bitching about it.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I'm not buying that.

I think the B1G would prefer UVa to VT, and would prefer to take UNC or stay north, rather than jump down to Georgia.

Those were the FSU and Big-12 rumors when the SEC was in play. V Tech and NC State are SEC kinds schools. Clemson and FSU are Big-12 kinda schools. And UVA and UNC are BiG kinda schools. The rest belong in the BE.

Reaction Score
GT not happening. GT not the school in Ga. or even in Atlanta and SEC people aren't going to stand being charged 10 cents for BTN.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
The Dude "reporting" the same kind of stuff. All this just means the conferences and acc schools are talking to each other. no news there.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
GT was old news, they had been looked at by the Big Ten prior to Rutgers but passed over. GT has been trying to get back in the game when the MD/RU rumors started last weekend. They have a national base, not southern only... but they don't command enough of a market to get in over RU. There might have been phone calls but then again who's not placing phone calls to the Big Ten to feel them out???

Reaction Score
I'm not sure they have a national base any more so than most BCS schools that have small alumni association chapters in big cities that go to a bar and watch a football game. What they're not is a national brand in any sport. I doubt any lay person on the street in NYC, LA, or any city could be stopped and name someone who plays or played for GT in any sport.

Reaction Score
Agree for the most part, but question would be does the B1G go north or south?

I think North makes more sense, but UVA and UNC would make lots of sense if they did go south.

No way VA Tech.
Those were the FSU and Big-12 rumors when the SEC was in play. V Tech and NC State are SEC kinds schools. Clemson and FSU are Big-12 kinda schools. And UVA and UNC are BiG kinda schools. The rest belong in the BE.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm not sure they have a national base any more so than most BCS schools that have small alumni association chapters in big cities that go to a bar and watch a football game. What they're not is a national brand in any sport. I doubt any lay person on the street in NYC, LA, or any city could be stopped and name someone who plays or played for GT in any sport.
Fair enough, I meant their student body is from a wide geographic area. I was going to say that they're not predominantly from Georgia, but I looked it up and it's 50-55%. I'd guess that's lower than other ACC schools though. Not sure whether their alumni stay in Ga or tend to go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Fair enough, I meant their student body is from a wide geographic area. I was going to say that they're not predominantly from Georgia, but I looked it up and it's 50-55%. I'd guess that's lower than other ACC schools though. Not sure whether their alumni stay in Ga or tend to go elsewhere.
GT is public, so they probably have a mandate of how many GA students they admit. It'd be a strong academic addition, marginal athletic addition, and a questionable TV addition. Big market, but primarily SEC, secondarily ACC, and not at all a B1G area. Could it become a B1G area? Remains to be seen, but that's a heck of an uphill battle.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The University of Virginia (and surrounding towns) voted 75% for Obama. Blacksburg, home of V Tech, voted for Romney.

Is there any question why UConn and Virgina (the DC burbs) would complement Rutgers, BC and Maryland better in terms of culture and geography?

The only thing V Tech and the BiG have in common are 4-H clubs and animal husbandry. But they speak a different dialect being so close to West Virginia and all >)

Reaction Score
I have no idea why people think culture and religion matter. We are not looking for wives here. It's eyes on TV's that matter and that's about it. I didn't see Maryland happening so I'm not counting anyone out now. What does appear to be certain to me is that what is going to be left of the ACC is going to be very little. It will make most sense for the Big East and ACC to both fold and the leftovers make a new conference. I want no part of an ACC that does not have Duke and Carolina. That would be a sham. I almost hope Swofford can pull it together.

Reaction Score
The move does not make too much sense to me. Not that VT or GT are exactly bad fits, but there appear to be much better options on the table for the Big 10 (most notably UVA and UNC). Not to mention, if UVA really wanted to, they could pull some political measures to likely block Virginia Tech.

Reaction Score
Politics will play no part with Virginia. Politicians are not going to doom both schools to a lame conferences for the sake of equality and there is jack they can do to tell another conference what to do. My gut says B1G takes Virginia and UNC. But history says the result will be unexpected

Reaction Score
It's eyes on TV's that matter and that's about it.

One reason the BiG is looking south is for recruiting. More and more top players are from the south, and that will only increase given demographic trends.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm not buying that.

We'll see though, I also didn't think they'd ever really take Rutgers.
I absolutely believe that if the B1G has heir eyes on any (remaining) ACC schools the entire list is UVA and UNC. If these rumors are circulating it is possible that the B1G did not believe UVA was as receptive as they felt the hoo's should have been and views shaking things up a bit and throwing out UVA's worst fear as a means to shake them free from the ACC.

I see no way that the B1G would consider Va Tech as they as as far outside of the B1G's academic profile as WVU as outside of the ACC's (and the B1G is in more of a position to be discriminatory today than the ACC was a year ago).

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
One reason the BiG is looking south is for recruiting. More and more top players are from the south, and that will only increase given demographic trends.

i dont buy this at all. the b10 has ohio, pa, nj and md/dc now recruiting wise. they dont need to worry. if they take uva or unc then they are rolling in the recruiting spots. gt is 100% about the b10 network being worth more in the south and nothing else. maybe 1% of that is a nd thing. thats its.

Reaction Score
i dont buy this at all. the b10 has ohio, pa, nj and md/dc now recruiting wise. they dont need to worry. if they take uva or unc then they are rolling in the recruiting spots. gt is 100% about the b10 network being worth more in the south and nothing else. maybe 1% of that is a nd thing. thats its.

I posted a geography link according to recruiting strength here last week. It showed only Ohio was the equal of Maryland, Virginia and the Carolinas. Not Michigan, not Pa., not New Jersey.

They broke things down into 5 different shades. The Deep South was darkest. The Carolinas, VA, California, Maryland, Ohio was shaded the next darkest. Pa., New Jersey and Michigan were the middle shade. The rest of the Big10 territory was 4th (or 2nd lightest) just like Connecticut. Of all the New England states PLUS New York, only Connecticut had shading.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I posted a geography link according to recruiting strength here last week. It showed only Ohio was the equal of Maryland, Virginia and the Carolinas. Not Michigan, not Pa., not New Jersey.

They broke things down into 5 different shades. The Deep South was darkest. The Carolinas, VA, California, Maryland, Ohio was shaded the next darkest. Pa., New Jersey and Michigan were the middle shade. The rest of the Big10 territory was 4th (or 2nd lightest) just like Connecticut. Of all the New England states PLUS New York, only Connecticut had shading.

i saw that map, enjoyed it. but the amount of bcs talent that comes from ohio, nj and pa alone is enought o fill all recruiting slots for the b10 every year. add any where else and its gravy. recruiting is not the issue. cable boxes and population are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom