Count Down on ESPN's Top 25 Players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Count Down on ESPN's Top 25 Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well, the freshman DeShields was a better player than Allen. This #8 ranking is more of recognition of DeShields' immense potential than anything she's accomplished, but her freshman year was in fact outstanding. I say that as someone who thought Nina Davis should've won freshman of the year instead of DeShields that year, but still.

I disagree but then of course I would :)

I think ESPN's top 5 is reasonable.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking top 5 will be
5. Walker-Kimbrough
4. Davis
3. Turner
2. Mitchell
1. Wilson
Not only agree with what you say, but congrats on having the intestinal fortitude to even list the top 5. We'll revisit this after the season (and season's performances).
This list is about who they think will be stars this year, not necessarily who has been the best up until this point. If that were the case, Nurse wouldn't be top 10 and neither would Deshields. That said, I think both are ranked a tad too high.

I do think Alexis Peterson, Alexis Jones, Brionna Jones, KLS and Kristine Anigwe are sorely underrated. Peterson was a breakout star in the NCAAs last year, Jones was Baylor's best player IMO, Brionna Jones has all the tools to be a POY caliber center, KLS is the most likely be an AA for UCONN this year, and Anigwe had one of the best freshman seasons in recent memory.

Reaction Score
Same list this time next year - I think Gabby has the upside and potential to be cracking it.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I do not think anyone disagrees that DeShields is incredibly talented. She has the ability to create space and get off her own shot under any circumstances. Some of it is quickness and the ability to get to spot before others get to it. Some of it is the knowledge that she can penetrate with that lighting-quick first step that can freeze the defender to allow her to pull up and shoot.

DeShields has a pretty quick release. And she has completely unflappable (though occasionally unreasonable) self confidence. She is a player who is willing to create and get open shots, with the willingness to take them at any time (whether or not is good for the team at that particular moment).

Are there better players, in terms of basketball IQ or understanding team vs. individual? Most certainly!

But in terms of "the most talented" players in the country? DeShields is most certainly deserving of being in the top ten.

The latest from the "incredibly talented" and "completely unflappable" DeShields:

"Diamond DeShields scored 15 but also committed 10 of UT's 21 turnovers."

"Virginia Tech converted Tennessee's turnovers into 21 points. DeShields' contributions occurred in a variety of ways. No. 10 happened when she dribbled off her foot while driving to the basket with 2:01 left and Tennessee trailing by four points."

"I'm really disappointed in myself," she said. "Just out there overthinking. That's really what I'm doing. I don't know why. It's quite embarrassing."

Lady Vols fall again to Virginia Tech

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As pointed out by RockyMTblue2, my favorite quote was " I'm not looking for my shot. I'm not looking to attack. If I'm looking to attack I'm not making a lot of those passes. I'm trying to give the ball up for someone else. My job is to score."

I think if CamrnCrz1974 had said DD is among the most physically gifted he'd be correct. But to me "most talented" implies a bigger package. Someone with the ability to show and do more than just display athletic abilities. DT wasn't the fastest runner, couldn't jump the highest. Yet when someone says "most talented" she jumps to the top of my list. Not someone like DD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom