Count Down on ESPN's Top 25 Players | The Boneyard

Count Down on ESPN's Top 25 Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
It would not surprise if UConn did not have any players on ESPN's list, despite ESPN ranking UConn #1 in the preseason.

No disrespect intended, but this UConn team is clearly going to be one where the sum is much greater than the individual parts. I could easily see UConn having 6 players averaging between 9.5 and 13.5 ppg. I think the balance is going to be UConn's greatest strength this year. And it will force teams to have to figure out who the "go to" player is in a close game, as I believe each could step up and be a "go to" player at any time.

And, as an aside, I think UConn's best player is sitting on the bench this year - Azura Stevens. If she were eligible to play (and did not have to sit out per the transfer rules), she would be a candidate for NPOY.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Thoughts on #1?? Briana Turner from ND possibly?

Reaction Score
It would not surprise if UConn did not have any players on ESPN's list, despite ESPN ranking UConn #1 in the preseason.

No disrespect intended, but this UConn team is clearly going to be one where the sum is much greater than the individual parts. I could easily see UConn having 6 players averaging between 9.5 and 13.5 ppg. I think the balance is going to be UConn's greatest strength this year. And it will force teams to have to figure out who the "go to" player is in a close game, as I believe each could step up and be a "go to" player at any time.

And, as an aside, I think UConn's best player is sitting on the bench this year - Azura Stevens. If she were eligible to play (and did not have to sit out per the transfer rules), she would be a candidate for NPOY.

I think Uconn's best player will be playing this year--Stevens isn't allowed to play until next year--so she is not in the mix of available --.
You forgot Uconn really top player Katie Lou Samuelson--she had a 20 point game a couple of times last year--even with all the other fire power on the floor for uconn.
Katie lou won't REPLACE Stewie---Stewie can't play this year--so you dance with the girl you brung to the dance---Katie Lou, Napheesa, Gabby, Saniya, Natalie, Kyla, Crystal, Kia Molly.
Next year I sincerely hope you are correct about Azura Stevens
Also--I like you opinion--uconn's balance will be their forte.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Lou will be in the 10-15 range now and higher at the end of the season.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I am looking for where a few players are on the list. Plum, I think Mitchell may be #1, Turner, KLS, I think there will be a Diamond on there somewhere.

Reaction Score

From what little I've seen AZ has a wonderful skill set, think TBS/EDD/ or Dawnna Bonner, but she doesn't yet have the motor to play at the Uconn level.

Reaction Score
Myisha Hines-Allen is #11. I thought she would be ranked somewhere in the top 10. It's going to be interesting who's in the top 10.

Reaction Score
Meh, not a fan of these lists but thinking the top 10 will go like this:
1. Mitchell
2. Wilson
3. Turner
4. Plum
5. Davis
6. Walker-Kimbrough
7. Deshields
8. Coates
9. Allen
10. Nurse

Order is probably all wrong and can actually picture Nurse not on the list at all, but ESPN did rank UConn first.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
New batch is up -

10. Lindsay Allen
9. Alaina Coates
8. Diamond DeShields
7. Kia Nurse
6. Kelsey Plum

DeShields over Allen is a real commentary on how we (or ESPNW, at least) value players. DeShields gets individual accolades. LA just wins basketball games. Maybe DeShields is a better pro prospect because of her size and athleticism. But you can't tell me LA isn't a better college basketball player. Absolutely no way.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Myisha Hines-Allen is #11. I thought she would be ranked somewhere in the top 10. It's going to be interesting who's in the top 10.

New batch is up -

10. Lindsay Allen
9. Alaina Coates
8. Diamond DeShields
7. Kia Nurse
6. Kelsey Plum

DeShields over Allen is a real commentary on how we (or ESPNW, at least) value players. DeShields gets individual accolades. LA just wins basketball games. Maybe DeShields is a better pro prospect because of her size and athleticism. But you can't tell me LA isn't a better college basketball player. Absolutely no way.

Will get nothing but agreement with me on the Allen-DeShields conversation. However, I find it hard how DeShields is ranked ahead of someone like Hines-Allen, who was voted the ACC's best in many polls and plays within the confines of the Louisville system.

Sorry, but that little SEC-ESPN connection keeps being an earworm for me when I view these types of stories.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

I find it hard how DeShields is ranked ahead of someone like Hines-Allen, who was voted the ACC's best in many polls and plays within the confines of the Louisville system. Sorry, but that little SEC-ESPN connection keeps being an earworm for me when I view these types of stories.

Orangutan and Dillon77, these were the criteria - or at least what was referenced in the article:

Who are the most talented college players in the country? Which ones do we expect big things from this season?

In his analysis of players, Rob Clough used to refer to players as "savant skills." The concept behind it is that you have a really good basketball player, but she has an extra quality about them that gives the player an unusual advantage that is not necessarily unique to the skills of basketball or not necessarily relevant to basketball at their position (e.g., Alana Beard being 5-10/5-11, but having a 6-4 wingspan; Lindsay Harding only being about 5-8, but having a ridiculous vertical leap and overall leaping ability that allowed her to be an incredible rebonding guard).

Not sure if DeShields' athleticism is in that category, but it got me thinking...

I do not think anyone disagrees that DeShields is incredibly talented. She has the ability to create space and get off her own shot under any circumstances. Some of it is quickness and the ability to get to spot before others get to it. Some of it is the knowledge that she can penetrate with that lighting-quick first step that can freeze the defender to allow her to pull up and shoot.

DeShields has a pretty quick release. And she has completely unflappable (though occasionally unreasonable) self confidence. She is a player who is willing to create and get open shots, with the willingness to take them at any time (whether or not is good for the team at that particular moment).

Are there better players, in terms of basketball IQ or understanding team vs. individual? Most certainly!

But in terms of "the most talented" players in the country? DeShields is most certainly deserving of being in the top ten.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
DeShields has a pretty quick release. And she has completely unflappable (though occasionally unreasonable) self confidence. She is a player who is willing to create and get open shots, with the willingness to take them at any time (whether or not is good for the team at that particular moment).

Completely unflappable you say...

"Hopefully I can get back to knowing I'm the best player on the floor as opposed to other people telling me," DeShields said. "It didn't matter what other people said when I was at North Carolina. I knew it. Last year, it was like I had to have that constant reminder in order to even step out and compete sometimes."

Again, it's just interesting how players are valued if "talent" is prized over effectiveness.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm thinking top 5 will be
5. Walker-Kimbrough
4. Davis
3. Turner
2. Mitchell
1. Wilson

This list is about who they think will be stars this year, not necessarily who has been the best up until this point. If that were the case, Nurse wouldn't be top 10 and neither would Deshields. That said, I think both are ranked a tad too high.

I do think Alexis Peterson, Alexis Jones, Brionna Jones, KLS and Kristine Anigwe are sorely underrated. Peterson was a breakout star in the NCAAs last year, Jones was Baylor's best player IMO, Brionna Jones has all the tools to be a POY caliber center, KLS is the most likely be an AA for UCONN this year, and Anigwe had one of the best freshman seasons in recent memory.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
New batch is up -

10. Lindsay Allen
9. Alaina Coates
8. Diamond DeShields
7. Kia Nurse
6. Kelsey Plum

Well, the freshman DeShields was a better player than Allen. This #8 ranking is more of recognition of DeShields' immense potential than anything she's accomplished, but her freshman year was in fact outstanding. I say that as someone who thought Nina Davis should've won freshman of the year instead of DeShields that year, but still.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm thinking top 5 will be
5. Walker-Kimbrough
4. Davis
3. Turner
2. Mitchell
1. Wilson

This list is about who they think will be stars this year, not necessarily who has been the best up until this point. If that were the case, Nurse wouldn't be top 10 and neither would Deshields. That said, I think both are ranked a tad too high.

I do think Alexis Peterson, Alexis Jones, Brionna Jones, KLS and Kristine Anigwe are sorely underrated. Peterson was a breakout star in the NCAAs last year, Jones was Baylor's best player IMO, Brionna Jones has all the tools to be a POY caliber center, KLS is the most likely be an AA for UCONN this year, and Anigwe had one of the best freshman seasons in recent memory.

Agreed on all points. I think that KLS and Anigwe are somehow "penalized" for different reasons: KLS for not having proven herself as her team's marquee player, Anigwe for playing on a lesser team.

But which players would you have knocked out of the top 10 to make room for those five?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Agreed on all points. I think that KLS and Anigwe are somehow "penalized" for different reasons: KLS for not having proven herself as her team's marquee player, Anigwe for playing on a lesser team.

But which players would you have knocked out of the top 10 to make room for those five?

My list would be:
1. Mitchell
2. Wilson
3. Plum
4. Turner
5. Alexis Jones
6. Walker-Kimbrough
7. Nina Davis
8. KLS
9. B. Jones
10. Allen
11. Hines-Allen
12. Deshields
13. Peterson
14. Coates
15. Anigwe

Coates has a better pro frame, but Brionna Jones is a better collegiate player and . Coates will also be overshadowed by Wilson/Gray/Davis in my opinion. I think Alexis Jones is better than Nina Davis and will emerge as their star this year. I also think KLS will be the star for UCONN and Nurse will be in more of a "Robin" role. I also don't see UCONN getting more than 1 player on an AA team this year because they'll be more balanced than we've seen the last few years. Deshields is an enigma at this point--she could be #1 by the end of the year or not on the list at all.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
My list would be:
1. Mitchell
2. Wilson
3. Plum
4. Turner
5. Alexis Jones
6. Walker-Kimbrough
7. Nina Davis
8. KLS
9. B. Jones
10. Allen
11. Hines-Allen
12. Deshields
13. Peterson
14. Coates
15. Anigwe

Coates has a better pro frame, but Brionna Jones is a better collegiate player and . Coates will also be overshadowed by Wilson/Gray/Davis in my opinion. I think Alexis Jones is better than Nina Davis and will emerge as their star this year. I also think KLS will be the star for UCONN and Nurse will be in more of a "Robin" role. I also don't see UCONN getting more than 1 player on an AA team this year because they'll be more balanced than we've seen the last few years. Deshields is an enigma at this point--she could be #1 by the end of the year or not on the list at all.

I like your list a lot!

Here are the final 5 players from ESPN:

1. A'ja Wilson
2. Brianna Turner
3. Kelsey Mitchell
4. Shatori Walker Kimbrough
5. Nina Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online