"Couldn't Keep Arkansas Guards From Driving" -- Let's Put That Claim Under a Microscope | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Couldn't Keep Arkansas Guards From Driving" -- Let's Put That Claim Under a Microscope

Reaction Score
I don't why but I found this funny: “Kalana Greene, Kelly Faris, Moriah Jefferson, and Kia Nurse need not fear that they will be eclipsed anytime soon by her defensive prowess.” I should frown since it is all too true. But maybe despite this very good one game analysis, UCONN's perimeter defense is found wanting as a maestro Geno suggests. He has seen much more of their defense or lack thereof in numerous practices.

Regarding Nurse, Jefferson, Faris, and Greene, they were superior defenders! Getting past any one of then was a feat to celebrate. Certainly Faris and Nurse started as freshmen primarily because of their defense. However they all benefited from playing multiple years with multiple perimeter mistake erasers. All four played with UCONN's top ten career blockers. So does this mean today's perimeter defenders get a pass? Well below is the list the top career blockers. Note number 8 after her first 3 years of play. Think how good she would be if she could stay out of foul trouble.

BTW: Greene was a phenomenal scorer and stats generator in high school as a senior she averaged 28 points, 18 rebounds, nine steals and eight assists per game.

Nurse
  • Stewart 2 yrs.
  • Stokes 1 yr.
Jefferson
  • Stewart 4 yrs.
  • Stokes 3 yrs.
  • Dolson 2 yrs.
Faris
  • Stewart 1 yr.
  • Stokes 1 yr.
  • Dolson 3 yrs.
  • Moore 2 yrs.
  • Charles 1 yr.
Greene
  • Moore 3 yrs.
  • Charles 4 yrs.
BLOCKS (Career)
  1. 414 Breanna Stewart (2012-16)
  2. 396 Rebecca Lobo (1992-95)
  3. 370 Kara Wolters (1994-97)
  4. 325 Kiah Stokes (2011-15)
  5. 304 Tina Charles (2006-10)
  6. 254 Stefanie Dolson (2010-14)
  7. 251 Napheesa Collier (2015-19)
  8. 207 Olivia Nelson-Ododa (2018-pres.)
  9. 204 Maya Moore (2007-11)
  10. 181 Kelly Schumacher (1998-01)

I think the blocks stat may be a bit misleading. Those UConn teams played excellent defense, with the guards doing a great job (vintage Coach Geno teams) of keeping opposing players in front of them. Strong team defense meant that there were fewer players getting free near the basket to attempt layups that could be blocked. Further, I would be willing to guess that ONO has played more minutes in the post for the years she's been at UConn than the players above her (?), meaning blocks/minute might be lower still. But making some surmises here.

Reaction Score
I think Dorka is clearly the answer to the offensive rebound issue. More PT for Dorka please.
She can definitely help in defensive rebounding. She just looked so nervous and out of sync on Sunday. I really do understand the first game jitters but on the other hand I don't. You have the best player in the country on your team. Just relax. You are not going to lose with her on your team 95 out of 100 times or better. In moments of doubt, just give her the ball and go pick for her and then roll. If you are ever open the ball will magically be there just like that ridiculous pass to Liv under the basket.

Reaction Score
And with fast guards, give them extra room so you can stay ahead of them (stay between them and basket). Paige is a really excellent defender- she moves quickly to cut off her opponent when they try to drive. Maybe she should have a clinic for the team! If guards start to hit shots because the defender is laying off them to protect against them driving, then either double team that person who's hot, or switch a better defender on that person, or switch to zone perhaps.
With time and practice, new players such as Azzi will hopefully become better defenders and become used to how much faster, stronger, taller are players at college level.
Good points Conndog, rather have them beat you from 20’ rather than 2. So much pressure on them to blow out everyone, but in reality, the college landscape is so tough. High school rankings mean crap at this point as players develop at different time frames or even stagnate. What you can get away with in high school may not be applicable in college.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom