Couldn't be more proud of this team... | The Boneyard

Couldn't be more proud of this team...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not going to spend any time on this thread admonishing folks who have been overly critical of this team this season - whether the team as a whole, or individual players.

Instead, I wanted to talk about how proud I am of this team. I graduated in 1987 from UCONN and have followed the team ever since Geno became the HC. In all my years of following UCONN, and WCBB by association, I have NEVER seen a team have to endure as many challenges as this team has this season. I am sure I may miss one or two but...
  • Paige injured
  • Nika wasn't fully healthy and had to rest until she was 100%
  • It seems Azzi may have had a nagging injury since at least her time with Team USA
  • Caroline injured
  • Dorka injured
  • Olivia injured
  • Piath had an injury early in the season
  • Christyn out with Covid protocols
  • Amari was out with Covid protocols and "other issues"
  • Mir transferred
  • Saylor transferred
  • Geno was sick and missed a game
Evina Westbrook and Aaliyah Edwards are the ONLY 2 players who were available and who played in all 22 games so far this season. And while both of them have been coming on strong of late, early on, most of us wondered what the heck happened to them as they were playing "less than" they were last season. Additionally, this is the first season with Shea gone being replaced by Morgan. Add to that all the Covid stops and starts, game postponement, etc.

Most of the games we lost were immediately following the removal of a starter (or more) from the lineup for one reason or another. Some of the games were played AFTER multiple team practices leading up to the game only to have the player in question scratched just before the game.

I can't imagine how hard it must be for the players to have to change SO MANY THINGS almost on a weekly basis as players return and depart. The lack of consistency of who is even starting, never mind coming off the bench, has been mind boggling. I think @oldude said after the DePaul game that it was the 9th DIFFERENT starting lineup this season. Is it any surprised that this team has lacked consistency in their quality of play on the court this season??

One thing I'm not excusing is lack of hustle or effort. The Villanova game is a prime example. Kudos to Christyn for stepping up and taking ownership of that. Was the great effort vs. DePaul a direct result of that? If so, that's some real nice leadership on Christyn's part.

Bottom line, I've never seen a season like this, and I think this team has done an amazing job dealing with the constant changes, arrivals, and departures. Super proud and bravo to them!

Reaction Score
It's been a rough season for the young Ladies and they've had their ups and downs. They do deserve our and other praises for overcoming the hardships and fighting to be better despite it all!! They're all better players and people because of it!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I have nothing to back this up with, just an opinion, but I think Evina has been dealing with an issue for most of the season. I may be wrong, but I thought that earlier in the season, she had some kind of ankle brace or tape on one of her ankles.

Time to watch some early season replays.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
What I also keep trying to remember is that if we had these same injury issues in 2018-19 and 2019-20, there would be stretches of games where we only had five healthy bodies. In 2018-19, could you imagine losing Lou, Phee, Christyn, and Crystal? Lexi Gordon going the route of Saylor and Mir, so you're starting Megan, Mikayla, Molly, Liv, and Kyla with Batouly coming off of the bench. Eep.

We've been able to Matrix around major injuries for so long and karma came collecting this year -- not much you can do but appreciate every victory (both in the scorebook and in marked progress for individual players) and enjoy the ride.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What I also keep trying to remember is that if we had these same injury issues in 2018-19 and 2019-20, there would be stretches of games where we only had five healthy bodies. In 2018-19, could you imagine losing Lou, Phee, Christyn, and Crystal? Lexi Gordon going the route of Saylor and Mir, so you're starting Megan, Mikayla, Molly, Liv, and Kyla with Batouly coming off of the bench. Eep.

We've been able to Matrix around major injuries for so long and karma came collecting this year -- not much you can do but appreciate every victory (both in the scorebook and in marked progress for individual players) and enjoy the ride.
I can't even imagine. Oregon tumbled out of the top 25 this season losing only 2 key players. It would have been awful that year...

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I can't even imagine. Oregon tumbled out of the top 25 this season losing only 2 key players. It would have been awful that year...
The next year wouldn’t have been much better.

Let’s say you lose Megan, Crystal, Liv, and Batouly (because she was hurt most of the season anyways). (Excluding Evina from this conversation since she was already nixed by the NCAA.)

Now you’re starting Anna, Christyn, Molly, Kyla, and Aubrey and you bring in Evelyn off the bench.

We keep talking at my house about how this could be much much worse.

Reaction Score
I just care about the end result. The struggles of a season or an overwhelming success of a season don't mean a thing without the end result. I personally don't find many users on this site overly critical at all. I think a lot of boneyarders try to find silver linings and optimism even when it's not really there. Or it is to overcompensate for the negative. Which considering the demographic of this place, could be a paternal instinct. Obviously adversity is a theme this year and i'm always intrigued to see how the season plays out and what happens. It doesn't excuse any concerns over the year just because it's been hard. To even make this post shows a luxury in knowing that your team is always on top and a winning program.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to spend any time on this thread admonishing folks who have been overly critical of this team this season - whether the team as a whole, or individual players.

Instead, I wanted to talk about how proud I am of this team. I graduated in 1987 from UCONN and have followed the team ever since Geno became the HC. In all my years of following UCONN, and WCBB by association, I have NEVER seen a team have to endure as many challenges as this team has this season. I am sure I may miss one or two but...
  • Paige injured
  • It seems Azzi may have had a nagging injury since at least her time with Team USA
  • Caroline injured
  • Dorka injured
  • Olivia injured
  • Mir transferred
  • Saylor transferred
Evina Westbrook and Aaliyah Edwards are the ONLY 2 players who were available and who played in all 22 games so far this season. And while both of them have been coming on strong of late, early on, most of us wondered what the heck happened to them as they were playing "less than" they were last season. Additionally, this is the first season with Shea gone being replaced by Morgan. Add to that all the Covid stops and starts, game postponement, etc.

Most of the games we lost were immediately following the removal of a starter (or more) from the lineup for one reason or another. Some of the games were played AFTER multiple team practices leading up to the game only to have the player in question scratched just before the game.

I can't imagine how hard it must be for the players to have to change SO MANY THINGS almost on a weekly basis as players return and depart. The lack of consistency of who is even starting, never mind coming off the bench, has been mind boggling. I think @oldude said after the DePaul game that it was the 9th DIFFERENT starting lineup this season. Is it any surprised that this team has lacked consistency in their quality of play on the court this season??

One thing I'm not excusing is lack of hustle or effort. The Villanova game is a prime example. Kudos to Christyn for stepping up and taking ownership of that. Was the great effort vs. DePaul a direct result of that? If so, that's some real nice leadership on Christyn's part.

Bottom line, I've never seen a season like this, and I think this team has done an amazing job dealing with the constant changes, arrivals, and departures. Super proud and bravo to them!
Just to add to the list, I have a feeling Evina isn't playing at 100% either.......

Reaction Score
It was so gratifying to hear Geno claim that a contributing factor to Sunday's win was Marquette getting tired in the 4th quarter. UCONN had every reason to run out of gas, playing shorthanded on the road after a Friday night game. But their conditioning & mental toughness wore down their opponent. KUDOS!

Reaction Score
It was so gratifying to hear Geno claim that a contributing factor to Sunday's win was Marquette getting tired in the 4th quarter. UCONN had every reason to run out of gas, playing shorthanded on the road after a Friday night game. But their conditioning & mental toughness wore down their opponent. KUDOS!
I share your enthusiasm, especially since the Huskies have been victims of Q4 collapse, but remember that Marquette had played Villanova in an OT loss on Friday. Their 5 starters all played over 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
Considering the injuries and the losses, this has been a good season for the women. They are better than they were in the beginning of the season when they were a Paige centric group. Now, in my opinion, they are playing as a team with players who probably would not have been given the playing time without those injuries. On top of this, players are emerging and showing their talents and skills much earlier than the traditional 6 o 7 person rotation that would have been normally played. I like the loss of dependency of Paige while I welcome her back to playing. But now Paige will have a Team to lead that, I think, will be much stronger than before.

Reaction Score
I have nothing to back this up with, just an opinion, but I think Evina has been dealing with an issue for most of the season. I may be wrong, but I thought that earlier in the season, she had some kind of ankle brace or tape on one of her ankles.

Could be and the added strain of extra minutes didn't help. The Marquette game was one of her best games ever as a Husky and it was the first time she went to the basket off of cuts and drives that much so maybe that problem has resolved itself or maybe it was just the knee finally getting right. Whatever it is , there is a noticeable difference. We will see on Friday. The key is whether she drives and wants the ball underneath. You have to feel good to do that especially since most of the whistles they hand out to the refs in WCBB now don't work!

Reaction Score
I share your enthusiasm, especially since the Huskies have been victims of Q4 collapse, but remember that Marquette had played Villanova in an OT loss on Friday. Their 5 starters all played over 40 minutes.
Very true! And the Friday night game was at Villanova, so they also had the travel factor.

Reaction Score

Last couple of games she has been awesome. Especially Saturday against DePaul, if it had not been for her stellar offense and defense, DePaul may have been able to creep back into the game.

Reaction Score
It's been a bumpy ride as a fan this season, but it is oh so enjoyable to see them starting to play together as a team and more importantly, looking like they are having a great time together on the floor. It's been invigorating as a fan to have that knot in the stomach at game time with the uncertainty of what is going to unfold that particular game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

• Paige injured
  • Caroline injured
  • Dorka injured
  • Olivia injured
  • Mir transferred
  • Saylor transferred

Thanks Eric, nicely done. So nice I wish I had written it. :) Well timed also.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Very true! And the Friday night game was at Villanova, so they also had the travel factor.
Some folks don’t realize how hard it is to win a game on the opponent’s home court. We’re use to it because UConn has done it for so long, we take it for granted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom