could we win the BET even if Napier doesnt hav a great year? | The Boneyard

could we win the BET even if Napier doesnt hav a great year?

could we win the BET even if Napier doesnt hav a great year

• yes

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • no

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • maybe

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Yes, I think that's possible even if he has a just ok year. Depends a lot on Boatright and how DD/AD live up to their billing.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
Yes, I think that's possible even if he has a just ok year. Depends a lot on Boatright and how DD/AD live up to their billing.
Exactly. I think so much revolves around AD being up to live up to the hype, and Lamb continuing his success.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You need a very good point guard to win. JC loved to say cut the head off of a team referring to the need to stop the point guard. If SN has a bad season, then RB has to have a great season. The best players on the team are unlikely to make up for the lack of point guard play.

Reaction Score
Bazz needs to be good. We would need to be great as a team.

Reaction Score
lamb does have a fine handle if needed, and boat should be able to bring the ball up the floor and push bazz to live up to our expectations

Reaction Score
Is this question serious?

First, you should have framed the questions as "Could we win the BET if Napier does not have a good tournament"

And, second what is the point of this question? Take up space on the board?

Reaction Score
265_large3.jpg

Tell 'em Large Marge said 'No!'

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Winning one tournament, even when you have the best team depends upon a lot of factors, including a little luck.
However, I do think that Napier is the key to this year's success. His foul trouble or God forbid an injury would hurt the team more than losing anyone else. I think RB will be a great player in time but for now he is an unproven frosh who is likely to be mistake-prone

Reaction Score
Alex is the only one that needs to have a 'great' year (avg. double/double). He needs to dominate, everyone else just needs to be good. Alex is our oldest/seasoned player, and like last year when he under-performs we don't do so well.

Reaction Score
If bazz is bazz we could win. This is a pretty stupid question. It's not like the dude is gonna flat out SUCK. Even if he has not as good of a year as we expect we can still win because we have enough guys+Boatright. It's not like the monstars are just gonna come and take away his skills or something. The only logical question on whether or not we will win the BET is "Will we be better than Lville, Pitt, ND, Syracuse, Marquette, etc... come the nights that the Big East tournament is being played?"

Reaction Score
If bazz is bazz we could win. This is a pretty stupid question. It's not like the dude is gonna flat out SUCK. Even if he has not as good of a year as we expect we can still win because we have enough guys+Boatright. It's not like the monstars are just gonna come and take away his skills or something. The only logical question on whether or not we will win the BET is "Will we be better than Lville, Pitt, ND, Syracuse, Marquette, etc... come the nights that the Big East tournament is being played?"

When I think back to all of the NC teams, and even the 2008-09 squad, all of them had at least two guards who could break down the press. KEA, Moore/Taliek, BG/ AJ, Kemba, Austrie/Kemba, SN.

One commonality is that in all 4 cases, there was at least one upperclassmen. As good as Shabazz might be down the road, I think the expectations for a NC have to be a bit lowered as of now. SN was prone to mistakes last year. Boatright is a freshman. As good as JL is at handling, I wouldn't put him in the situation where he is consistently bringing the ball up.

I think UL is going to give uconn fits this year.

I definitely think that AO needs to have a great year, and quite often last year, as he went so did the team. The team counted on him to supplement Kemba. But Kemba is gone now. I think SN is the most important piece by far.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything in the post above. I think we will find out how good we can be without a senior leader at the PG spot for the first time in a few years. I am hoping that the PGs only need to take care of the ball- not break down defenses like Kenba did last year. We should have two excellent options with one of the best front courts in the country- and with JL,RS,DD we have players that can get into the paint or shoot over smaller Gs. It will be a completely different team and how well we execute JC's game plan will determine how far we go.

We should crush the earlier season matchups- hit some bumps when we play the Quse's and Lvilles of the world and hopefully get it all together by March. That is why we are not Pitt- they are good- stay good- but do not get that much better as the year goes on (and they of course are now scum).

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I agree with everything in the post above. I think we will find out how good we can be without a senior leader at the PG spot for the first time in a few years. I am hoping that the PGs only need to take care of the ball- not break down defenses like Kenba did last year. We should have two excellent options with one of the best front courts in the country- and with JL,RS,DD we have players that can get into the paint or shoot over smaller Gs. It will be a completely different team and how well we execute JC's game plan will determine how far we go.

We should crush the earlier season matchups- hit some bumps when we play the Quse's and Lvilles of the world and hopefully get it all together by March. That is why we are not Pitt- they are good- stay good- but do not get that much better as the year goes on (and they of course are now scum).
I look forward to reading your posts just to see how you will fit Pitt into them. I also think the rest of this post is insightful.

Reaction Score
i dont understand the question. bazz was a great defender last year and will most likely be better this year. that alone right there will make a huge difference on the floor. will he shoot better this year? problably. cant be any worse than last year. will he take better care of the ball? i didnt think he was great but he wasnt horrible either. i really see bazz playing really well. hes one of the players i dont have any worries about. i trust him for some reason. i think hes going to have a breakout season and lead us to final four again. he just has that it factor imo.

Reactions: SJ
C

Chief00

Bazz just has to be a great PG. He does not have to do what Kemba did scoring. We now have a pretty good inside threat in AD.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I can't believe that no one mentioned Ryan Boatright in this thread. By the time the BET is played, he will no longer be a freshman. I expect that he will grow a lot under Napier's instruction, just as Bazz did under Kemba's. I think Ryan will also be a GREAT player for us!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I can't believe that no one mentioned Ryan Boatright in this thread. By the time the BET is played, he will no longer be a freshman. I expect that he will grow a lot under Napier's instruction, just as Bazz did under Kemba's. I think Ryan will also be a GREAT player for us!

Seems like RB was mentioned in this thread:

61cygni wrote earlier in this thread:

I wrote earlier in this thread:

You need a very good point guard to win. JC loved to say cut the head off of a team referring to the need to stop the point guard. If SN has a bad season, then RB has to have a great season. The best players on the team are unlikely to make up for the lack of point guard play.

And Toke makes an argument similar to yours:

If bazz is bazz we could win. This is a pretty stupid question. It's not like the dude is gonna flat out SUCK. Even if he has not as good of a year as we expect we can still win because we have enough guys+Boatright

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Sorry...I guess I missed all the RB references. Sometimes, one cup of coffee in the morning just isn't enough! :(

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Sorry...I guess I missed all the RB references. Sometimes, one cup of coffee in the morning just isn't enough! :(
No need to apologize Joobie. I'm drinking my first cup as well. See the thread about Ed Nelson and my screw ups.:)

Reaction Score
The question that started this thread is pretty dumb- so it is a good thread to read pre-coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom