Could we stop the begging please? | The Boneyard

Could we stop the begging please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't stomach any more of the begging by our administration and now Governor to the ACC. Yes we would like to be invited, we get it but have some pride. And, maybe you should have shown some more support for your present conference mates when they met in NYC last week. This could not have been played out any worse by UConn Be completely unprepared for when the conference could be raided which should not have been a surprise. Timing was surprising but not the possibility of this happening. Then, chase blindly after the ACC at the expense of what's left in the BE. And now these pathetic public pleas. WTF can these people get a clue?

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I think the media smells blood and are willing to spin anything uttered by the UConn administration into a 'please ACC, rescue us!' story.

And for that reason I think Herbst, Malloy, Pendergast, coaches, EVERYONE involved should not utter another word about the ACC until there's an official acceptance or rejection by that league...

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Did Waylon hijack your account?

In all seriousness, if UCONN is not interested in staying in the Big East what is the point in saying that we will help rebuild? This conference is dying, it's run by a doll puppeteerd by Providence and it's best solution is to be reactive instead of proactive. Maybe they have reached out to more credible schools, I dont know. Everyone who follows college football saw the big east getting raided again, the only shock were the schools chosen.

I love my alma mater but at this point Herbst/Malloy need to do what they need to do to get UCONN into a stable BCS league. By any means necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I can't stomach any more of the begging by our administration and now Governor to the ACC. Yes we would like to be invited, we get it but have some pride. And, maybe you should have shown some more support for your present conference mates when they met in NYC last week. This could not have been played out any worse by UConn Be completely unprepared for when the conference could be raided which should not have been a surprise. Timing was surprising but not the possibility of this happening. Then, chase blindly after the ACC at the expense of what's left in the BE. And now these pathetic public pleas. WTF can these people get a clue?
Several people have said the same thing, nobody wants to hear it. I agree with you. Our pres is a Duke alum and an idiot with zero loyalty to the Big East. She is creating much of the instability and panic. The enemy is the ACC not ESPN or some bogey man in Providence. But the majority of posters to this forum are dying for UConn to get into the ACC.

The ACC is everything that is wrong with college athletics. But I guess if you can't beat em join em if they let you.

Reaction Score
Did Waylon hijack your account?

In all seriousness, if UCONN is not interested in staying in the Big East what is the point in saying that we will help rebuild? This conference is dying, it's run by a doll puppeteerd by Providence and it's best solution is to be reactive instead of proactive. Maybe they have reached out to more credible schools, I dont know. Everyone who follows college football saw the big east getting raided again, the only shock were the schools chosen.

I love my alma mater but at this point Herbst/Malloy need to do what they need to do to get UCONN into a stable BCS league. By any means necessary.

Reaction Score
Jnyce, who were you more likely to date, the girl with poise and pride or the one chasing after you? The fact is that at the moment the ACC is not interested in expanding to 16 for us and RU. ND ain't going and if they do it's no lock that we get the last seat at the table. So, let's focus on making the BE and B12 marriage of convenience happen. At this point it's our best hope. Whining and pleading just makes us look and appear weak and not confident in the UConn brand.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The ACC is everything that is wrong with college athletics.
That's an odd statement to cap off what is a generally bizarre thread. The Big East is a moribund conference. UConn's administration is trying to get UConn in a conference that is not in immediate danger of losing its AQ status in football, has two crown jewels of basketaball, is adding Pitt and Syracuse, already has another natural rival in BC, is far cleaner than the SEC, proactively took steps to keep from getting raided themselves when they looked ripe for it, and is pretty damn solid academically. How on earth is the ACC in particular everything that is wrong with college athletics.

Pride cometh before the fall. Anyone suggesting UConn shouldn't be doing everything it can to join one of the conferences that will still be standing in a meaningful way when all is said and done is delusional.

Reaction Score
Scooby you act like that can happen. Big 12 doesnt want it to. Do you people really think we are in a position to tell the Big12 what they want?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Jnyce, who were you more likely to date, the girl with poise and pride or the one chasing after you? The fact is that at the moment the ACC is not interested in expanding to 16 for us and RU. ND ain't going and if they do it's no lock that we get the last seat at the table. So, let's focus on making the BE and B12 marriage of convenience happen. At this point it's our best hope. Whining and pleading just makes us look and appear weak and not confident in the UConn brand.

Since I'm a Texas alum living in CT, I'd love this, but good God, that would be a monstrousity of a conference. Travel for non-revenue sports would be ridiculous. Culturally, it's a bad marriage. The Big East schools would hold very little sway in conference proceedings because Texas and OU would have the lion's share of the power. Not to mention that the Big XII was in itself a marriage of convenience between the Big 8 and the old SWC, and it was always unstable as a result.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
So you have a problem with our president because she has a degree from a better academic institution?

Reaction Score

Big12-BE marriage of convenience? Huh? I don't think anyone would mind that, but what makes you think the Big12 is interested in Rutgers and UConn? The ACC has a much greater chance of happening than your alternative.

Reaction Score
Years from now if we're not in the ACC, but left behind in some post-apocalyptic Big East made up of a bunch of rogue schools scattered all over the map, or if we're celebrating conference titles in the MAC, Conference USA, or some other hybrid monstrosity of a league that would never get a sniff of an automatic BCS bid, we'll regret that Herbst & the powers that be didn't do ENOUGH "groveling".

Face it - we need the ACC more than they need us. We have to show we're interested. And none of us can say for sure what's happening behind the scenes, but Herbst has to do what she can to protect the future of UConn athletics.

Reaction Score
The groveling isn't working. It's pretty clear where we stand on this. UConn is a known quantity, if they want us, they wan't us. If they don't. Well, you get the picture.

Reaction Score
The groveling isn't working. It's pretty clear where we stand on this. UConn is a known quantity, if they want us, they wan't us. If they don't. Well, you get the picture.

To say it isn't working is absurd. It's been ten days since the Syracuse -- Pitt story broke. A successful time frame to resolve this is the end of the 2011-2012 academic year, such that we join the ACC when Pitt and Syracuse do. I know how much is riding on this, but the thought that it was going to be resolved in ten days is ridiculous.

I know this board has no patience, but it will require some to know whether this worked out or not and how the individuals involved did.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
"That's pride gnikcvf with you. duck pride. Pride only hurts. It never helps."

Those who say we should stick with the BE are essentially saying we should accept our execution. The Big East is dead no matter what we do. First opportunity, ANY school that remains will be gone. No matter of pledges otherwise or what the cost.

Reaction Score
To say it isn't working is absurd. It's been ten days since the Syracuse -- Pitt story broke. A successful time frame to resolve this is the end of the 2011-2012 academic year, such that we join the ACC when Pitt and Syracuse do. I know how much is riding on this, but the thought that it was going to be resolved in ten days is ridiculous.

I know this board has no patience, but it will require some to know whether this worked out or not and how the individuals involved did.

How do you know it is working? How do you define groveling? Everyone smells the desperation and looking desperate doesn't help.

Reaction Score
Scooby you act like that can happen. Big 12 doesnt want it to. Do you people really think we are in a position to tell the Big12 what they want?

For Revrat and upstater, I'm assuming that OU, UT, A&M and TTU are gone from the B12 and their conference mates should assume this as well. In order to make this marriage of convenience happen, UConn should be on the offensive to convince KU, KSU, ISU, BU and Mizzou to agree to band with the remaining BE members now (plus TCU) and add UCF and Houston to form the below 14 team conference. Mizzou is a perfect example of what I'm talking about - - very similar to us, good academics, state school but with better football and much more tradition - - where has their groveling got them?

UConn
Rutgers
WVU
KU
KSU

Mizzou
ISU
TCU
USF
UCF
Houston
Baylor
It's not perfect but it's better than waiting around or becoming an independent.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Everyone is desperate. WVU got turned down by two conferences in a 24 hour period. For all Pitino's talk who do you think is spreading the Louisville to the Big 12 rumors... Baylor and Iowa State probably have a mutual suicide pact by now.

Here's where I'm at: If the end game is 16 team super conferences then UConn is in. There just isn't that much inventory. If not... we are exactly where we are now. The Big 12 isn't adding Cinnci and Lousiville when there's plenty of schools out west with football pedigrees that are just as good without the travel issues.

Whatever Herbst and Milloy says has zero impact on this at all... just about the only really stupid thing they could say is that they're 100% committed to the Big East.

Reaction Score
All I can hope for, is that as strongly as they appear to be advocating for a move, while being in a position of little to no control....that they're all working just as hard at finding a solution to stabilize things with the things we can control.

No matter what angle i take in looking at this situation we're in, there is no good solution moving forward with our all sports programs under the control of the current big east leadership.

I don't think there can be any more clear example of why, than the simple fact that Miami, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh and Boston College are now in the ACC.

Reaction Score
How do you know it is working? How do you define groveling? Everyone smells the desperation and looking desperate doesn't help.

Did I say it was working? Where exactly? You realize that there are possibilities other than prematurely making we're doing great statements and prematurely making we're screwed statements?

Reaction Score
I love thatshe Herbst is aggressive and doing whatever she can to get UCONN into a better conference....if she wasn't, the same people that are complaining about her approach would be complaining she isn't doing anything and is too complacent. The past administrations of UCONN and the league is guilty of that and look where we stand today. I don't have a problem with some self promotion and public politicking as part of the overall approach to trying to make this happen. No one knows UCONN's overall strategy, what has been done or what is in the works. The only thing we see are public statements and press releases. Quite frankly, alot of the promotion is by the media trying to drum up stories etc (like the Courant's story on Uconn Academics being on par with the ACC).

Let's see how this unfolds...hopefully we get to where we want or need to be. The ACC may not be planning to expand further, but I am glad she continues to work it.

Reaction Score
The only person in the media making snide comments is the syracuse shill pete thamel. He's the same idiot who "broke" the nate miles had crap on calhoun stuff and was willing to talk. How'd that sterling piece of "journalism" work out?

Herbst is the only one who knows what the real deal is. I trust het a lot more than biased pundits.

Reaction Score
Did I say it was working? Where exactly? You realize that there are possibilities other than prematurely making we're doing great statements and prematurely making we're screwed statements?

We made our point. And I don't think we are screwed. The ACC and the Big 10 are fully aware that we are ready and willing to join if offered. Do you think they will forget that fact if Herbst and Malloy aren't on TV every other day reminding them of that fact?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

I just don't even know where to begin. Are you saying that we are more attractive to leagues by pretending we aren't interested? Do you also institute a 3-day rule before calling a girl back? So silly... That's not what's going to make or break our invite to a conference.

As for the Big East... UConn showing interest in other leagues is not holding back the Big East. The Big East was in trouble in 03, and Pitt/Cuse have pushed it to the brink. UConn can continue to pursue every better scenario, as it should. The Big East will continue to evaluate the lay of the land and consider how to move forward. Pretending like we are firmly behind the Big East, aside from being dishonest and sub-optimal, would be seen through by all outsiders regardless - never mind the fact that the other football schools are rushing for the exits, too. The remnants of the Big East will always be there if there are no other options when the music stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom