Could Undefeated Florida State Get Left Out Of The Playoff?! | The Boneyard

Could Undefeated Florida State Get Left Out Of The Playoff?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After yet another thoroughly unimpressive victory, FSU hasn't lost yet but when the rankings come out tomorrow they will have zero wins over top-20 teams. If Alabama, Oregon, TCU, and Miss St all win out, and FSU's "best" wins continue to look worse and worse (Notre Dame just lost to a bad Northwestern team, Clemson lost also), there could be a chance of this remarkable scenario occurring! After all, TCU's loss was at Baylor and Miss St's loss was at Alabama, both close road games against elite opponents. TCU has one great win (vs Kansas St) as well as a couple good wins (vs Oklahoma, at West VA), and Miss St has a great win (vs Auburn) and a couple good wins too (at LSU, vs Texas A&M).

Reaction Score
Which resume is better? This is the way it would look it both Mississippi State and Oregon win out. I'm not convinced Oregon's resume is better.

Wins: at Ole Miss, vs Auburn, at LSU, vs Texas A&M.
Loss: at Alabama

OR

Wins: at UCLA, vs Michigan State, at Utah, vs Pac 12 title game
Loss: vs Arizona (home)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oregon is already ahead of Florida State, and Alabama will be after their win.

Reaction Score
As much as I would like it to happen, I just don't see it. The pleasure would be to great to include an undefeated P5. This isn't Marshall we're talking about here.

Reaction Score
As much as I would like it to happen, I just don't see it. The pleasure would be to great to include an undefeated P5. This isn't Marshall we're talking about here.

Darn autocorrect! That's "pressure" not "pleasure".

Reaction Score
no undefeated p5 school would be left out of the playoff, the SECc however, may be looking at its worst nightmare by not having any in the playoff if bama loses one more game.

Reaction Score
no undefeated p5 school would be left out of the playoff, the SECc however, may be looking at its worst nightmare by not having any in the playoff if bama loses one more game.
Hopefully Bama loses to Auburn, and Miss State loses to Ole Miss, and then maybe we get a couple of weeks reprieve from hearing how great the SEC is.

pj

Reaction Score
Hopefully Bama loses to Auburn, and Miss State loses to Ole Miss, and then maybe we get a couple of weeks reprieve from hearing how great the SEC is.

I would love this. FSU gets in undefeated, and then one-loss champions of the B1G, B12, and Pac and a two-loss SEC champ squabble over which 3 get in and which 1 gets left out. Meanwhile the other 2-loss SEC West teams feel they're as good as the team selected to go the SEC championship game and should have been included. Max dissatisfaction all around.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I feel the same way about Florida State's winning all these close "must win" games that Freakonomics felt about Sumo Wrestling. When outcomes occur in a statistically unlikely manner (such as 3 15+ point comebacks in conference games), there is probably another explanation for what is happening.

Reaction Score
I feel the same way about Florida State's winning all these close "must win" games that Freakonomics felt about Sumo Wrestling. When outcomes occur in a statistically unlikely manner (such as 3 15+ point comebacks in conference games), there is probably another explanation for what is happening.

What is that explanation?

I don't care for FSU, there QB or their codes of conduct. This kid should have served much more than one half of football in his first two seasons of play so far. Disgusts me.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think FSU is in if they win out, no matter how impressive they look. It's a shame too because I truly don't think they are better than at least 4 SEC teams and a handful of other 1 loss teams.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Could Undefeated Florida State Get Left Out Of The Playoff?!

NO.

Reaction Score
No, if FSU goes undefeated and is they are the defending champs no way are they left out, especially as it possible that a 2 loss SEC team (SEC champ winner) gets in over a 1 loss XII team. Plus, the P5 knows that this is it for FSU and Jimbo. Winston's student conduct hearing, which will be pushed further back to February, will force him to declare for the draft before he is expelled while Jimbo will bail once the US Justice Department pays a second visit to Tallahassee.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/12/u...ll-casts-shadow-over-tallahassee-justice.html

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If they go undefeated they're in. 13-0 and they'll be the #1 seed.

However, I'm not so certain a 12-1 Oregon team sneaks in over a 11-1 Mississippi State. I think if TCU goes 12-1, they bump Oregon out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

However, I'm not so certain a 12-1 Oregon team sneaks in over a 11-1 Mississippi State. I think if TCU goes 12-1, they bump Oregon out.

No chance. TCU is far behind Oregon. So is Baylor. TCU doesn't even have any strong games left to bump their resume, and barely beat Kansas. Baylor passes them if they beat K-State. Right now, I'd say Bama and Oregon are the top two seeds. It's the Big 12 teams that would be sitting on the sideline if Oregon, Bama and Miss State win out.

Reaction Score

I'm of the opinion that the SEC is still the unquestioned best conference but that the wealth has been spread just a bit at the top and they have no dominant team. Top 6-8 teams are all beatable at this point so why go with 2 from any conference? Tough call so Go Mizzou!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
No chance. TCU is far behind Oregon. So is Baylor. TCU doesn't even have any strong games left to bump their resume, and barely beat Kansas. Baylor passes them if they beat K-State. Right now, I'd say Bama and Oregon are the top two seeds. It's the Big 12 teams that would be sitting on the sideline if Oregon, Bama and Miss State win out.
Jimdish255 said:
I'm of the opinion that the SEC is still the unquestioned best conference but that the wealth has been spread just a bit at the top and they have no dominant team. Top 6-8 teams are all beatable at this point so why go with 2 from any conference? Tough call so Go Mizzou!
TCU is 9-1, and 4-1 against ranked opponents. They are also 2-1 vs. the Top 10.

Oregon is 9-1, and 3-0 against ranked opponents. They lost at home, to an unranked Arizona team. Plus Oregon's schedule is arguably weaker.

I just don't see how Oregon gets the edge vs. TCU. Oregon gets to play 2-loss, probably Top 15 Arizona State. TCU has a lot more to offer in my opinion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If if TCU is already behind and has very little on schedule left.. going to be tough to overcome.

Reaction Score
One of the worst problems with the Arizona loss is the weakness of their OOC schedule. Not helpful. Also a potential Championship matchup with ASU after a loss to Oregon State is a lot less impressive at this juncture. Oregon might just want USC to win out. They haven't played yet and still have name appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom