Men - Could UConn’s Elliot Ballpark soon host high school championships, NCAA Regionals? (Borges @ Hearst) | The Boneyard

Men Could UConn’s Elliot Ballpark soon host high school championships, NCAA Regionals? (Borges @ Hearst)

Reaction Score

Alternate link here <<

-> “There’s something to be said for having that iconic venue in the minds of every kid that swings a bat in Connecticut,” Penders noted. “The high school basketball players talk about the ‘Road to Mohegan.’ I want the ‘Road to Storrs.’”

And so, there was Penders a couple of weeks ago, just a couple of hours before UConn’s bout with Yale, giving Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC) officials a guided tour of Elliot Ballpark.

“We were impressed,” said CIAC Director of Media John Holt, one of four officials who toured the facilities. “Definitely, UConn has a lot of appeal.” <-

-> The goal right now is hopefully to host a few state semifinal games over the next few years, though likely not this spring. The state championship finals are a different story. With the CIAC having recently extended its agreement with the Town of Middletown to host the state championship finals at Palmer Field another five years, it’s unlikely those games will be held at Elliot before then. <-

-> The school has put in a bid to host the regionals, but any program in the country can do that. Getting a bid accepted is the hard part. “It’s not something I spend a lot of time thinking about,” Penders said. “You’re thinking about winning games. You win enough games, I’m assuming we’ll be in the position to be in the discussion about that.”

… “It’s been a long time,” Penders noted. “It would be nice to get some representation in the Northeast. We’ve got a lot of baseball fans in Connecticut that would love to turn out for that.”<-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger
Top Bottom