Could this College team beat a WNBA team? | The Boneyard

Could this College team beat a WNBA team?

Reaction Score
I get tired of seeing the stuff like can Duke beat an NBA team or can Alabama beat an NFL team but what about a mix of the best college players by position. Could this team beat a WNBA team? Interesting to think about.
PG) Ionescu
SG) Durr
SF) Lou
PF) Pheesa
C) McGowan
Bench...
Arike, A. Smith, Kelani Brown

Only chose 8 obviously we could add more.

Reaction Score
No, and your list points out how talent-weak the NCAA is right now. There have been years where I’ve felt UConn’s lineup alone could at least not finish last in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
You can’t throw a bunch of college players together who aren’t used to playing with each other and expect them to beat a WNBA team... not even the Indiana Fever. The WNBA is a tough first year transition for even the best college players. Yeah, I know, A’ja Wilson kicked butt.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
We see pretty much every year that top college players come out and struggle in their first year in the pros. Kelsey Plum is one recent example.

I don't think a college all-star team would be totally embarrassed by a bad WNBA team but they would probably still lose by 20+

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
No way.

Even if you put together the best possible team from all of the NCAA teams, and had them play the absolute worst WNBA team, the score wouldn't even be close.

Reaction Score
If they had a pre-draft tournament of the Top WNBA prospects versus a team of WNBA players who didn’t make last year’s WNBA All Star team, that’d be interesting to see. But I don’t think any such game would ever happen. Could you imagine if a top WNBA prospect got a serious injury playing in an exhibition game such as this?

Reaction Score
I think a more interesting game would be a WCBB allstar team against the top players who were the final cuts on WNBA teams.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Geno has been asked this type of things a bunch of times. He always says No.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Don't forget : Gabby Williams received high praise recently, as ESPN analyst Jay Bilas called her the “most compete player” in men’s or women’s college basketball, while Duke coach Joanne P. McCallie compared the senior to “Maya Moore without the outside shot.” Williams did it all for UConn. Nurse was an "honorable mention" AA.

Actually, the exact words from Duke Coach Joanne P. McCallie were:

"#15 is a great player. She is #23 without the outside shot."

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I do think that the team led by seniors Stewie/Mo/Morgan would have a a decent shot at taking a game from the bottom WNBA team at the time. They would at least have been competitive. IMHO

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Stewie was asked this question immediately after the Huskies won their 4th straight championship, beating every single team they faced by double figures. To her credit, Stewie quickly responded, “No.” She went on to point out that the WNBA is a completely different level of basketball made up with the best players in the world.

Reaction Score
I get tired of seeing the stuff like can Duke beat an NBA team or can Alabama beat an NFL team but what about a mix of the best college players by position. Could this team beat a WNBA team? Interesting to think about.
PG) Ionescu
SG) Durr
SF) Lou
PF) Pheesa
C) McGowan
Bench...
Arike, A. Smith, Kelani Brown

Only chose 8 obviously we could add more.
Will Sophia Loren and Raquel Welch get in a knockdown drag out on my front lawn tonight ? The winner gets to break down my door and beg me for a date......

Can that happen ????

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sorry but I gotta disagree with most of you guys a tiny bit. Not saying that team would win if you threw them in together with no practice, but Pheesa was one of the final 14 and almost made Team USA for the tryouts. And... she was competing against the best in the world. So to say her talent level is not close to a crap team like Indiana I think is unfair.

So my point, take all those players the OP listed (or the top 2 at every position), give them a good coach and a month or so to practice together, and I'm betting they would give the lesser teams in the WNBA a run for their money. Keep in mind that some of the worst teams in the WNBA do not have future Olympians on their roster. I suspect that the starting 5 listed by @bbballfan23 will at least be in the pool for Team USA 3-5 years down the road if not sooner.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Age and experience is the difference, even if the NCAA All-Stars have more innate talent. It wouldn't be a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom