Could the Texas Game Be the Turning Point? | The Boneyard

Could the Texas Game Be the Turning Point?

Reaction Score
I previously posted how I thought that Paige looked mentally subdued in the Texas game, and she appeared frustrated at times on the court. However, since then she seems reignited and emotionally connected. Look at her play and the team's in the last 3 games. While turnovers are still a concern, movement off the ball, team defense, passes leading to assists, and shooting efficiency has improved.

In the last 3 games, Paige looks free and relaxed. Her confidence can only help the team, particularly the freshmen. It is a testament to her star power in how quickly she's gotten back to form. Her timing, instincts, defense and shooting just keep getting better. In the last 3 games, she's shooting 23-33 from the field, 7-10 from 3-pt land, has 10 blocks as a guard and 8 steals. As Jeff Walz stated after the game, Paige will score 20, but she doesn't take or need 20 shots to do so. She plays efficiently, drawing the opposing team's attention at all times. While she could score more, she is well aware that in order for the team to be successful, they need Aaliyah and Aubrey to contribute offensively.

While the season is a work in progress, it seems UConn has settled on its identity as a team after the Texas game. In his presser, Jeff Walz pointed out that by reducing their rotation, UConn plays Paige, Aaliyah and Aubrey more, which he pointed out is not necessarily a bad thing. While UConn doesn't need Paige to always score, they need her on the court.

Reaction Score
I previously posted how I thought that Paige looked mentally subdued in the Texas game, and she appeared frustrated at times on the court. However, since then she seems reignited and emotionally connected. Look at her play and the team's in the last 3 games. While turnovers are still a concern, movement off the ball, team defense, passes leading to assists, and shooting efficiency has improved.

In the last 3 games, Paige looks free and relaxed. Her confidence can only help the team, particularly the freshmen. It is a testament to her star power in how quickly she's gotten back to form. Her timing, instincts, defense and shooting just keep getting better. In the last 3 games, she's shooting 23-33 from the field, 7-10 from 3-pt land, has 10 blocks as a guard and 8 steals. As Jeff Walz stated after the game, Paige will score 20, but she doesn't take or need 20 shots to do so. She plays efficiently, drawing the opposing team's attention at all times. While she could score more, she is well aware that in order for the team to be successful, they need Aaliyah and Aubrey to contribute offensively.

While the season is a work in progress, it seems UConn has settled on its identity as a team after the Texas game. In his presser, Jeff Walz pointed out that by reducing their rotation, UConn plays Paige, Aaliyah and Aubrey more, which he pointed out is not necessarily a bad thing. While UConn doesn't need Paige to always score, they need her on the court.
I agree. When Geno said Paige was better today than she was as a freshman, I thought he was blowing smoke but recently she does look better. Paige uplifts the whole team when she has enthusiasm and confidence. I believe her defense has really improved and she is the reason team chemistry has gotten so smooth. My opinion, NC still possible if she stays injury free. I think teams with big physical post will pose a problem, both UCLA and SC, will be tough to beat, but if the freshmen can follow Paige’s lead, IT IS POSSIBLE,

Reaction Score
In his presser, Jeff Walz pointed out that by reducing their rotation, UConn plays Paige, Aaliyah and Aubrey more, which he pointed out is not necessarily a bad thing. While UConn doesn't need Paige to always score, they need her on the court.
This caught my attention too. One thing I think we saw is that our conditioning is simply better than Louisville's, and probably than a lot of teams. We can run 8, though really just 6, for practically an entire game without looking tired. Louisville couldn't manage that running 10, though really 8.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It was after the Texas game that Geno made the decision to go with a small lineup and a corresponding strategy: don't get clobbered on the boards, and win by running, forcing turnovers, and shooting at a high percentage because the team is moving the ball to get open shots.

Not getting clobbered on the boards against players like Betts and Cardoso will be difficult, but having watched both of those players in person a week ago at Mohegan Sun, it is clear that they both have major mobility issues (especially Cardoso, who just gives up when a somewhat quick player drives on her). That could create as big a problem for their teams as UConn's limited size creates for it.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
It was after the Texas game that Geno made the decision to go with a small lineup and a corresponding strategy: don't get clobbered on the boards, and win by running, forcing turnovers, and shooting at a high percentage because the team is moving the ball to get open shots.

Not getting clobbered on the boards against players like Betts and Cardoso will be difficult, but having watched both of those players in person a week ago at Mohegan Sun, it is clear that they both have major mobility issues (especially Cardoso, who just gives up when a somewhat quick player drives on her). That could create as big a problem for their teams as UConn's limited size creates for it.
Yep. Geno admitted after the Ball St game that his attempt to do a matchup lineup of two bigs with Edwards and Ice was a mistake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom