Could the ACC go to three divisions? | The Boneyard

Could the ACC go to three divisions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This has apparently been speculated as the reason why Swofford is trying to deregulate the conference championship game rules. He denies that in this article but what are the other reasons why would be so in favor of this? Maybe to stop the B12 from raiding the ACC?

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article47586760.html

With only 14 full-time members you can do the math that he would need 1 more to have 3 equal divisions ;)

"The Big 12 arguably was penalized last year – its best teams left out of the inaugural College Football Playoff – by failing to give Baylor and TCU a chance to determine a clear conference champion. That doesn’t explain, however, why the ACC is sponsoring the alteration long after its horse is out of the barn.

“We said over and over again that doesn’t mean we would necessarily change anything within our own league,” commissioner John Swofford told ESPN.com’s Andrea Adelson in April. Swofford explained such a rule, which may go into effect in 2016, offered greater flexibility and conference autonomy, in keeping with the temper of the times. He denied it had anything to do with a speculated move to three divisions.

“I think the fact that we were supporting this in principle and felt it was the right route to go, it gives people the impression that we have a specific direction we would take things in in our league that’s different than what we’re currently doing,” Swofford said. “That’s just not the case.”"

Reaction Score
The article says nothing about 3 divisions. It implies that they want deregulation to have more control over who plays in their title game. Basically meaning that they could have one 14 team league where the two highest ranked teams play each other regardless of league records.

I love how these articles are basically a Rorschach test for people on the CR board.

Reaction Score
The article says nothing about 3 divisions. It implies that they want deregulation to have more control over who plays in their title game. Basically meaning that they could have one 14 team league where the two highest ranked teams play each other regardless of league records.

I love how these articles are basically a Rorschach test for people on the CR board.

Bowlsby said that there is talk that the ACC would go to three divisions. This article talks about how it could mean that the ACC would go to 15 teams.

"According to new NCAA Football Oversight Committee chairman and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, some in the ACC are considering expanding its current two-division lineup of the Atlantic and Coastal into three divisions. Bowlsby intimated that it’s the uncertainty over just what the ACC wants to do that’s somewhat bogged down the legislation moving forward, although, again, it’s expected to be in place in time for the 2016 season.

“I think there’s some belief that ACC would play three divisions, have two highest ranked play in postseason,” Bowlsby told Dodd. “Really, nobody cares how you determine your champion. It should be a conference-level decision.

“But because the ACC has persisted in saying, ‘We’re not sure what we’ll do,’ there’s probably a little bit of a shadow over it. In the end, I don’t think it’ll be able to hold it up. We’ll probably have it in place for ‘16.”

The reason for the potential move to three divisions would be a very simple one: to better position itself for the College Football Playoff. Theoretically, three divisions would allow the ACC to create a stronger conference championship game, which would then strengthen its case for a spot in the four-team playoff.

The problem, of course, would be that the ACC currently consists of 14 members, and would likely need to add a 15th school — three divisions of five teams each — to make that setup work. Notre Dame is already a scheduling partner with the ACC, although it seems unlikely that the conference would be able to convince the school to shed its football independence and become a full-time member of the league. Other potential additions — again, if they go the three-division route — could include Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF and UConn.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...o-three-divisions/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Reaction Score
The B1G won the National Championship last year.

They are guaranteed a place in the playoffs this year with teams ranked 4, 5 & 6 and depending on how the championship games shake out could have 2 teams in.

They are not going to 15 in order to arrange their conference championship.

If/When the B1G expands it will be with an even number of teams

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The B1G won the National Championship last year.

They are guaranteed a place in the playoffs this year with teams ranked 4, 5 & 6 and depending on how the championship games shake out could have 2 teams in.

They are not going to 15 in order to arrange their conference championship.

If/When the B1G expands it will be with an even number of teams
Right, because Penn State.

Reaction Score
I really think the ACC wants to go to a 16 team pod, for scheduling purposes. Play your pod and another pod every year on a rotating basis. At worst you play everybody every three years. But I don't think they do it until/unless Notre Dame is one of the new teams and that may never happen.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
My guess: ACC goes to three 5 team divisions for their conference. The winner of each division is determined solely on the record within the division (so only the games against the other 4 teams). The two division winners that have the highest ranking will square off in the ACC Championship game.

This will allow Notre Dame to be an "official" member of the ACC football conference, but not require them to play a full ACC schedule. Notre Dame can continue to play an abbreviated ACC schedule, but still be eligible to be in the ACC Championship game. All other ACC teams will continue to play the full ACC schedule, but the other games are kind of "out of division, conference games" that do not determine division winners or who will be represented in the championship game. This allows Notre Dame access to the ACC Championship game (I think this year scared the crap out of them, when they saw that they likely would have been left out of the tournament this year even if they beat Stanford). It protects the ACC somewhat and allows them to ensure two highly ranked teams are in the championship game (instead of getting stuck with some of these Duke, BC, Wake Forest, etc teams that win the weak division). Notre Dame wins, the ACC wins, and ESPN wins. Problem solved.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
My guess: ACC goes to three 5 team divisions for their conference. The winner of each division is determined solely on the record within the division (so only the games against the other 4 teams). The two division winners that have the highest ranking will square off in the ACC Championship game.

This will allow Notre Dame to be an "official" member of the ACC football conference, but not require them to play a full ACC schedule. Notre Dame can continue to play an abbreviated ACC schedule, but still be eligible to be in the ACC Championship game. All other ACC teams will continue to play the full ACC schedule, but the other games are kind of "out of division, conference games" that do not determine division winners or who will be represented in the championship game. This allows Notre Dame access to the ACC Championship game (I think this year scared the crap out of them, when they saw that they likely would have been left out of the tournament this year even if they beat Stanford). It protects the ACC somewhat and allows them to ensure two highly ranked teams are in the championship game (instead of getting stuck with some of these Duke, BC, Wake Forest, etc teams that win the weak division). Notre Dame wins, the ACC wins, and ESPN wins. Problem solved.

Why would the members of the non-ND divisions ever approve of this?

Reaction Score
Several ACC coaches are already on record saying they don't like the partial membership. No way the AD's allow ND to get the benefit of the ACC championship game without joining full time.

Unless the goal is to farther weaken the ACC it is a terrible idea.

Reaction Score

So a 4 game schedule determines a division winner? UGH!

Reaction Score
This would be one way for the ACC to guarantee that their big shots are always in their title game year after year: put Florida State in a division with Syracuse, Wake and Boston College.
Keeping Wake and BC in the same division would also guarantee at least 1 win for one of those schools!
Wake 3 BC 0. Oh boy.

Reaction Score
And here I thought that Notre Dame was in a division by itself.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members