Could someone please interpret this quote: | The Boneyard

Could someone please interpret this quote:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Yet the mistake now would be to blindly extend that continuity, to look solely at McEntee's performance and say, oh, he can improve, the receivers can run sharper routes, and let's stretch that improvement. A mistake because McEntee, as best as we've known, he had never won the starting job in the first place."

The way I see it: Like it or not ... agree or disagree ... 4 QB's were involved in Spring & Summer ball and the staff had to pick someone, therefore ... A QB WON THE JOB.

What am I missing?

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...onn-quarterback-0913-20110913,0,679272.column

Reaction Score
So far, the depth charts released always had an 'OR' between the quarterbacks (Johnny Mac OR Mike Nebrich), so technically, an outright #1 was never declared.

Reaction Score
"Yet the mistake now would be to blindly extend that continuity, to look solely at McEntee's performance and say, oh, he can improve, the receivers can run sharper routes, and let's stretch that improvement. A mistake because McEntee, as best as we've known, he had never won the starting job in the first place."

The way I see it: Like it or not ... agree or disagree ... 4 QB's were involved in Spring & Summer ball and the staff had to pick someone, therefore ... A QB WON THE JOB.

What am I missing?

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...onn-quarterback-0913-20110913,0,679272.column

I'm thinking that, with a new coaching staff, it's a clean slate & all positions are up for grabs. No qb has stepped up to the plate & grabbed the brass ring. Late in the game, Coach P. didn't want to have a new signal caller come into the game cold with Vandy's defense playing as aggressively as UConn's. He decided to live or die with J. Mack. This next game, however, he shouls see what Nebrich brings to the table sine he's already burned his redshirt for the season.
The short answer to that quote is that Coach P. is still publicly stating that the starter at the qb position is a gametime decision. Therefore, NO qb has won the job.

Reaction Score
The statement by Jacobs is absolutely correct. It needs no interpretation.

As I posted the night of the game, Pasqualoni threw away his own criteria during the Vandy contest. He changed from production to continuity But why is Mac continuity since he never won the job?

Reaction Score
Got it. So as long as P lists the QB's as "OR" and McEntee continues to get 90% of the snaps, no QB has "won" the job.

As Geddy Lee once said ... "if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice".

Reaction Score
Got it. So as long as P lists the QB's as "OR" and McEntee continues to get 90% of the snaps, no QB has "won" the job.

As Geddy Lee once said ... "if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice".
So you would choose free will?

Reaction Score
The statement by Jacobs is absolutely correct. It needs no interpretation.

As I posted the night of the game, Pasqualoni threw away his own criteria during the Vandy contest. He changed from production to continuity But why is Mac continuity since he never won the job?

Pal, that is a misrepresnetation, I think. He never "changed." He made a calculated gamble that he didn't want to throw a freshman in on the road under those circumstances when he had an even money chance to win with defense. Had he put Nebrich in and lost the same way, it very likey could have been a huge setback. I imagine that he is trying to groom the kid to take over somewhere around mid-season. Otherwise buring his redshirt as he has borders on incompetence. The continuity comment was shorthand or if you want to call it so, an excuse. No coach is going to say "I didn't want to put a player in under those condiditons." Bottom line is he took a risk that he could get enough out of the offense and the defense that UCONN could hang on. It almost worked. And you keep making the assumption that Nebrich would be better. Ther really is no basis for making that. By all reports he hasn't seperated himself in practice. In his limited game action he hasn't seperated himself either. Mike himself said he had a bad week of practice (I know, we never should believe the players comments... unless they support you position) which is another reason not to put him in. If we're in a similar situation Friday night at the Rent, no effective offensive play, I think the decision might be quite different...of course if Nebrich throws one to the wrong jersy at a critical moment, I also expect to see a post here from you asking why in heaven's name Pasquoloni didn't leave mac in and let the D win the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom