Could Paige and Azzi play four years together? | The Boneyard

Could Paige and Azzi play four years together?

Reaction Score
If...big if...the 2020/21 does not happen, could Paige and Azzi be considered freshmen in 2021/22 and have the same four years of eligibility together? If so, would that sway Azzi's UConn decision?

Would be phenomenal.

Reaction Score
Right now I'm satisfied that Bueckers has 4 years. Landing Fudd would be like hitting the lottery twice. I don't even want to contemplate the 2000/2001 season being cancelled but if it was I would expect that UConn would get but 3 years from Bueckers, who will have gotten her degree and who would be moving on to the pros.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The 2020/21 season is going to happen, even if OOC and league play are slightly shortened. But it's going to happen people.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The 2020/21 season is going to happen, even if OOC and league play are slightly shortened. But it's going to happen people.
Not sure if you’re just being positive or know something we don’t know. It seems to me that if the virus diminishes over the hot months and returns late fall, there would have to be a preventive vaccine or some known medication that pretty much controls the worst effects of the virus. Otherwise, why wouldn’t we be stuck again with the nightmare of distancing? International travel restrictions would have to be gone too. UConn would be affected as much as many because we’re due to have 3 non US players. The big keys seem to be will the virus return and will there be an effective control available in time if it does return.

Reaction Score
Not sure if you’re just being positive or know something we don’t know. It seems to me that if the virus diminishes over the hot months and returns late fall, there would have to be a preventive vaccine or some known medication that pretty much controls the worst effects of the virus. Otherwise, why wouldn’t we be stuck again with the nightmare of distancing? International travel restrictions would have to be gone too. UConn would be affected as much as many because we’re due to have 3 non US players. The big keys seem to be will the virus return and will there be an effective control available in time if it does return.
The other problem is Connecticut being a densely populated state will go back into lock down mode at the first sign of corona again in the fall. The WCBB seasaon probably isn't going to be a consideration for the governor if this virus makes a strong come back. We will likely have a situation where schools in the hot spots have a risk of having their seasons interrupted or canceled, while in other parts of the country they might be OK. Hopefully the NCAA is working on plans to handle such a scenario. If Paige et al end up not being able to play or losing part of their season, the NCAA should either grant them an extra year no questions asked, or at least allow a penalty free transfer.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I suppose it's a symptom of all this social isolation that people's imaginations are so actively involved in scenario planning. Wow.

Reaction Score

I've also read that there is evidence there won't be a summer letdown which might be good for basketball. By September there might be enough of a herd immunity to allow a normal social life and lift travel restrictions. They could also extend the season if the regional and FF arenas can adjust. I just hope that the team can scrimmage this summer. If they can start practice by Halloween it could be OK.

Reaction Score
I suppose it's a symptom of all this social isolation that people's imaginations are so actively involved in scenario planning. Wow.
It's not isolation..........it's COVID-19's cousin WCBBD-20! Instead of the lungs it attaches to anyone's brain cells that just 'considers' a cancelled season! Twice as difficult to contain I hear! :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
October 1st is 6 months away. We'll know a lot more then about the state of our country, this virus and the probability of college athletics resuming this fall. Right now, no one knows what "state of the virus" will be then.

We're all hoping it be contained and eradicated (a cure/antidote found) by then, and life has returned to normal. I'd like to believe that a cure is a week or two away from being discovered. Teams of researchers are working around the clock, around the world to find a cure/antidote. I'm holding on to that. I'm also holding out for the season to start on time. :) It doesn’t cost anything to hope.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

No excuse needed on the BY. ;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
October 1st is 6 months away. We'll know a lot more about the state of our country, this virus and the probability of college athletics resuming this fall. No one knows what "state of the virus" will be then.
We're all hoping it be contained and eradicated (a cure/antidote found) by then, and life has returned to normal. I'd like to believe that a cure is a week or two away from being discovered. I'm holding on to that. I'm also holding out for the season to start on time. :)
One of the biggest problems is the people who have not taken this situation seriously enough and continue to gather in closed places and participate in large gatherings. They are aiding the spread of the virus and putting in jeopardy the lives of so many others. This can cause the danger to last longer than it ordinarily would.

Reaction Score
I hope that I am wrong ten times over and will gladly eat all my words soaked in castor oil if I am, but I am dreading the possibility that Azzi isn't coming to UConn. I do realize that she and Paige are BFFs, but at the same time, they are unspoken rivals--in the competitive sense of course--as to who is the preeminent player of their era, and supreme rivals very rarely can coexist. Given this, I see Azzi going elsewhere... Again, if I'm wrong about this, I'll gladly drink the castor oil...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yea, I'm thinking, no more man-to-man defense. Probably have to play zone.
It occurred to me, I would’ve been a star playing hoops with social distancing. Maybe making varsity. I had a pretty reliable jumper with range. Nobody guarding me, i was a stud. And because I couldn’t jump to save my life and Bugs Bunny was a better ball handler, nobody near me to steal the ball or jump over me for a rebound. My lack of D would not have been an issue. I might start a league.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I offer this as the other side of the story you seldom hear. First, just as humans work fast to make the virus less deadly, the virus is doing the same thing. Viruses survive via hosts; the better hosts survive the better a virus survives. When you hear "mutating virus" the instinct is that they are out to get us like some alien race, but the opposite is true. This allegedly is a fast mutating virus, which should mean it is "learning" quickly to adapt to its new host. Over time it may have the same fatality rates as the flu ... or measles.

I bring up measles because a person in this country is ten to hundred times more like to die from contracting measles, depending on which USA dataset you pay attention to (Japan's is pretty definite at 0.03%, or far less than the chance to die from childbirth in this country. Our fatality figures have ranged from the lowest I've seen at 0.2% to as high as 3%). An underdeveloped country's fatality rate from measles can range from 10-25%. When you see alarming world death tolls from measles it is chiefly due to underdeveloped countries with poor environmental conditions and immune systems.

Those figures reveal that when it comes to infectious diseases immune systems matter a great deal. Ours suck big time for a developed country. One thing people should be working on before a second peak arrives in the fall is adopting a lifestyle that will boost your immune system to survive infection. This is at least as responsible a thing to do as social distancing, but no where near as easy a responsibility and no authority I've heard even brings it up when calling for us to be responsible.

As for mass gathering prolonging the infection, actually the opposite is true. Mass gatherings will speed the infection rate with the two consequences being death or immunity. Previous infection, in fact, will achieve herd immunity quicker and more thoroughly than vaccinations. There is still a chance of infection after vaccination; there is less so from previous infection as the antibody count is higher. The problem, of course, is all the deaths, particularly in a country with lacking immune systems, plus overwhelming resources to the extreme, causing even more deaths.

In the end, the goal is to get towards herd immunity without overwhelming deaths or overwhelming our resources. To get a better idea of all this I suggest researching what other countries are doing to achieve herd immunity and comparing their successes or lack thereof.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One of the biggest problems is the people who have not taken this situation seriously enough and continue to gather in closed places and participate in large gatherings. They are aiding the spread of the virus and putting in jeopardy the lives of so many others. This can cause the danger to last longer than it ordinarily would.

To your point, 20 minutes ago, I watched an interview on CNN featuring a choir director that had a rehearsal early in March, before the pandemic grew some legs. 15 of them became infected, 2 of them died. Some folks won’t take this pandemic seriously until or unless someone they know or are related to dies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Everybody please keep safe...….
And please everyone, get back on your medications so we can get back to to rational discussions on this board...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The problem, of course, is all the deaths, particularly in a country with lacking immune systems, plus overwhelming resources to the extreme, causing even more deaths.

Kind of a big problem...

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Kind of a big problem...
I don't know if I came across as callous. I believe people can be a lot more responsible than assumed by authorities ... if in possession of a fuller picture of actual goals and mechanisms. My post was intended to encourage less fear over the future and more responsibility for the present, ultimately to the effect of lessening deaths and impacts on resources.

Granted I am not a doctor, but recommending people take steps to strengthen their immune systems, in a country where that is a problem, has absolutely no irresponsible downside.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom