could boatright start at all this year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

could boatright start at all this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"RB has a close relationship with Derrick Rose who he will also look to for some guidance this year."

Hopefully not academic guidance.

Reaction Score
"RB has a close relationship with Derrick Rose who he will also look to for some guidance this year."

Agreed. I like Rose and I think he has a good head on his shoulders. RB is hooking his wagon to a good resource for bball.

Reaction Score

I already have our sights set on Jaylin Fleming out of Chicago. The Boat Show could help us land him. Maybe we can offer him a scholly when he gets to 8th grade! He seems like a smart kid so no worries about him sitting for the SAT's. Boatright and then Fleming sounds good to me! :D

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hey 990411 where did the SR reference come from?

Long standing Boneyard 'argument', where one poster steadfastly claimed SR was 'not a big east caliber athlete'. Many incarnations of the 'debate' occurred around that time. Nonetheless, it was a one sided affair.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's amazing how certain things are forever remembered. Anyone lurking on the football board will be familiar with how much in depth and interesting nelson's analysis regarding teams and conferences can be.

Reaction Score
If JC sticks to his usual MO, Bazz gets the early nod as the starter. But as the season goes on, if Boat were to outplay Bazz, I would not be shocked to see him start Boatright, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Now I would not be surprised if Ryan ends up the more talented of the two. The PG spot next year might be up for grabs. Boat is a better athlete than Bazz. For a li'l guy he explodes quickly over the rim and plenty over it. Now Bazz is sneaky quick and quick with the ball. I haven't seen a freshman PG play with so much confidence and poise since Khalid. Bazz is special.

Ryan seemed cut from the same mold though based on what I saw on TV. But that was HS. This is D1. Let's just see how he adjusts and how much of his game translates to this next level. I have little doubt that it will, but until we get to see what he's capable of doing, it's hard to predict this sort of stuff.

One thing did cross my mind. If Ryan plays Bazz evenly or even out-plays him at some point in the season, would JC go back to bringing Napier off the bench. I am a tad concerned that he will pick up a quick foul playing as aggressive as he does. Part of JC's reasoning to bring him and Chuck off the bench last year was to let the refs get those quick whistles out of they system and try to shorten the game for those two players so that they could play aggressively with less of a chance of fouling out. With Kemba gone, I don't think he'll do that to Bazz and reward him with the starting PG position. That's what I prefer, but it is something to keep an eye on. Even if he gets all ball, officials often try to send a message early and will quickly call the reach-in even if the defender didn't get the arm. Hopefully his reputation of being a good theft-guy he get the benefit of th doubt more times than not.

Reaction Score
At all? Yes. Most likely as JC tries to figure out the best team dynamics, it will be SN as 1 and JL as 2 with RB spelling someone else that isn't performing as well, moving the spots up one or to give one of SN/JL a breather.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
If JC sticks to his usual MO, Bazz gets the early nod as the starter. But as the season goes on, if Boat were to outplay Bazz, I would not be shocked to see him start Boatright, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Now I would not be surprised if Ryan ends up the more talented of the two. The PG spot next year might be up for grabs. Boat is a better athlete than Bazz. For a li'l guy he explodes quickly over the rim and plenty over it. Now Bazz is sneaky quick and quick with the ball. I haven't seen a freshman PG play with so much confidence and poise since Khalid. Bazz is special.

Ryan seemed cut from the same mold though based on what I saw on TV. But that was HS. This is D1. Let's just see how he adjusts and how much of his game translates to this next level. I have little doubt that it will, but until we get to see what he's capable of doing, it's hard to predict this sort of stuff.

One thing did cross my mind. If Ryan plays Bazz evenly or even out-plays him at some point in the season, would JC go back to bringing Napier off the bench. I am a tad concerned that he will pick up a quick foul playing as aggressive as he does. Part of JC's reasoning to bring him and Chuck off the bench last year was to let the refs get those quick whistles out of they system and try to shorten the game for those two players so that they could play aggressively with less of a chance of fouling out. With Kemba gone, I don't think he'll do that to Bazz and reward him with the starting PG position. That's what I prefer, but it is something to keep an eye on. Even if he gets all ball, officials often try to send a message early and will quickly call the reach-in even if the defender didn't get the arm. Hopefully his reputation of being a good theft-guy he get the benefit of th doubt more times than not.

I agree...Bazz will need to adjust to a different role that needs him to play more conservatively in some ways, such as avoiding foul trouble and giving up "unforced errors." If RB does start, it means that Bazz is having significant problems and we have ourselves a leadership breakdown. Maybe Jeremy can surprise by really taking on the "go to" guy role and taking some of the pressure off of the others. He will need to be able to break down defenders, handle contact, and be more than a shooter off of screens or when left open. He already was scoring more off the bounce late in the season, but may have more difficulty with the added attention he will get this year.

On the other hand, if Ryan is just downright better (which I don't expect), he will eventually get the spot.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Barring injury, I don't see it happening. That's not a knock on Boatright by any stretch.

Reaction Score
Eagerly waiting to see him. Scote, hope he's the real deal and a "yute" that can "blend" better than "my cousin Vinny!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom