could boatright start at all this year | The Boneyard

could boatright start at all this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i have a feeling that its gonna be SN unless an injury

Reaction Score
Shabazz is the starting PG through and through. And mentioning an injury to any player is blasphemous. *knocks on wood*

Reaction Score
SN is a perfect floor general for this team. Lightning off the dribble, money on the spot up J.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
We are going to have so much flexibility in the line-up this year it is going to be scary. We can go big or small, make it a pressing, running game or a half court game and dominate on the inside. This is going to be a fun year. This has got to be one of the top three deepest teams in the JC era if not the deepest.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Never say never. I hope not because if so, then Shabazz is struggling and the team will have a leadership gap. But who's to say that there is no chance that Boatright might be really good with some seasoning?

Reaction Score
Yes if JC decides to go with a 3 guard set to start the game. I am not a proponent of going into pre season giving anyone anything. If the Boatshow (the best show on earth) schools SN in practice and breaks SN's ankle with 1 of his patented Boatshow crossovers then of course RB will start!:)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Absolutely, and it doesn't have to be a disaster. There should be a time early in the season when Shabazz forgets he has several potential NBA's on the team and underutilizes them. And JC, being JC, remind Shabazz by giving a start to Ryan.

Reaction Score
maybe he`ll get to start a couple pre big east games but once in league play its not going to happen unless sn is playing awful basketball and rb is playing out of his mind.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised at all. RB has "superstar" written all over him I just can't see Napier ever developing into that type of player. Ya he's solid..good defender but makes some dumb decisions and not always the type of player you want to "set the pace" with. Boatright will run out of the gates firing and exploding to the rim setting the pace for the rest of the game while Napier is more of a player you want to come in and slow down the pace, maybe hit a couple shots...Well it worked last season at least with Kemba. Come Big east play once we're done with all the cupcakes when the teams flaws start to show I could see us making the switch. Fortunately we start off with some weak big-east opponents so we probably won't have to sacrifice any games before the change and could very well make an all time run with the frosh at the point passing to the big guy in the middle.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised at all. RB has "superstar" written all over him I just can't see Napier ever developing into that type of player. Ya he's solid..good defender but makes some dumb decisions and not always the type of player you want to "set the pace" with. Boatright will run out of the gates firing and exploding to the rim setting the pace for the rest of the game while Napier is more of a player you want to come in and slow down the pace, maybe hit a couple shots...Well it worked last season at least with Kemba. Come Big east play once we're done with all the cupcakes when the teams flaws start to show I could see us making the switch. Fortunately we start off with some weak big-east opponents so we probably won't have to sacrifice any games before the change and could very well make an all time run with the frosh at the point passing to the big guy in the middle.
Now that MB has made a short term sacrifice to open the scholly for the "The BEAST of the East # 15 (maybe the # was part of the deal)" it will be interesting to see if that unselfish move has the capability of putting other personal moves in prospective relating to playing time. Mr. Basketball from the state of Illinois (The Boatshow) and Austin Rivers are the two best incoming points in AMERICA. Teague (Kentucky) and Pierre Jackson (Baylor/the unknown commodity) come in with the next group of points JMHO. If coached properly and used in a way to capitalize on his immense talents it is my opinion RB will have one of the most memorable careers of any UConn player in the history of the program. This will be a challenge at times for the coaching staff so lets see what happens. here a a couple links that probably have already been posted here so forgive me as I am relatively new to the the-Boneyard.com. RB has a close relationship with Derrick Rose who he will also look to for some guidance this year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/high-school/post/_/id/1004/boatright-earns-player-of-the-year-honors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76_ABgXrgl4

Reaction Score
“I’ve always been small and got the job done. [Connecticut star] Kemba [Walker] is the same size as me as far as height. I’m not as small as people think I am. Kemba doesn’t nearly have as much as athleticism as I do. He can’t finish above the rim like I can." -Ryan "The Boat show" Boatright.

Now that is confidence...:cool:

Reaction Score
“I’ve always been small and got the job done. [Connecticut star] Kemba [Walker] is the same size as me as far as height. I’m not as small as people think I am. Kemba doesn’t nearly have as much as athleticism as I do. He can’t finish above the rim like I can." -Ryan "The Boat show" Boatright.
Whoa, easy there hoss.

Reaction Score
Talk about a tyranny of high expectations. If Boatright is as good as many claim; he is way better than Drummond. UConn is very thin at 1-2 no matter how talented the players are. So no injuries or excessive foul troubles among Napier, Boatright, and Lamb is necessary but not sufficient to give UConn a satisfctory season.

aka zymurg

Reaction Score

Wow- This little big man talks a lot-I can't think of many players that are as athletic as Kemba- he was so smooth with amazing body control.

Wait, so what is the deal with his height? I had thought it was 5'10", but on the uconnhuskies new roster page, he's listed as 6'.

The biggest concern for this team is at the 1&2. It will be interesting to see the development of SN and JL, along with Boatright. They lose the versatility, fire, and passion of Kemba and the presense of DB. However, they are a year older and bring in a highly touted freshman. Until we see these things, I think I'm going to be a little cautious in my optimism.

Reaction Score
"So no injuries or excessive foul troubles among Napier, Boatright, and Lamb is necessary but not sufficient to give UConn a satisfctory season." Charlie

So whats your pre season speculative call on UConn this season?

A) Lose/Upset in the 2nd round of the NCAA
B) Sweet 16
C) Great 8
D) Final 4
E) National Finalist
F) National Champs
G) None of the above they get bounced in the 1st round of the NCAA tourney by a #15 or #16 seed....

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Talk about a tyranny of high expectations. If Boatright is as good as many claim; he is way better than Drummond. UConn is very thin at 1-2 no matter how talented the players are. So no injuries or excessive foul troubles among Napier, Boatright, and Lamb is necessary but not sufficient to give UConn a satisfctory season.

aka zymurg

On the Boneyard, every freshman is the greatest player in UConn history, and every sophomore is limited into how good they can ever be, and probably needs to be replaced by a freshman.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Kemba could take body contact and still finish. From the limited film I saw of Ryan he has a better vertical leap than Kemba. I'll be thrilled if he is 75% as athletic as Kemba. Anything more is gravy.

Reaction Score
i have a feeling that its gonna be SN unless an injury

Agreed...SN is the starter...RB will be the main backup at PG and I think they can play together at times

Reaction Score
As far as pure athletic ability RB may very well be more naturally gifted then Kemba. But Sticks was more gifted as well and sometimes it does not translate to being a better player.

We will see if Boat can check his ego at the door and play within the system well. He has been "the man" since 8th grade and will be playing with two more young pups who have also been in his shoes their whole life DD and AD. I think DD and AD are very level headed kids and do not see any issue with them blending in- but we have 2 PGs that certainly believe in themselves and if they bond it really could be fun to watch. I hoping they develop a close relationship- but there is the outside chance for this to be the one area were the team chemistry could take a hit.

If Bazz treats at Boat like Kemba treated Bazz- we will be in good shape.

Reaction Score
We will see if Boat can check his ego at the door and play within the system well.
After reading up on this kid, and watching him in that all-star game, I don't think he has an attitude or is unwilling to play in the system. With the game on the line late, he drove and dished what would have been a go-ahead layup to a big who dropped the pass. He then hit a three the next trip down the court to tie up the game if I remember it right. The kid plays defense hard, and shares the rock. I don't think we'll have any chemistry issues with this team.

Reaction Score
The PG position to lose is Bazz'z. RB was a super HS palyer, but the BE is not HS. I've only seen him on tape, but he is a goddie. Starting is an ego thing for athletes. The important issue who finishes the game. I see possibly a 3 guard rotation, but we are small and have to hit the 3 to be effective in that set, or any set. I loved the way JC used Bazz last year. He was the Uconn micro wave. When he came in things changed, and yes he does make a few bonehead decisions and his handle, though very good, can sometimes get him in trouble, bazz can and did play on the biggest of stages and delivered. RB is going to be interesting to watch develop. Speed to burn, vg handle, adroit at passing and shooting the rock, and extreme confidence in his abilities. Bazz/Rb will be fun to watch and a nightmare for coaches to defend because not only can they finish plays, they make it possible for others to get involved.

Reaction Score
On the Boneyard, every freshman is the greatest player in UConn history, and every sophomore is limited into how good they can ever be, and probably needs to be replaced by a freshman.
...and Stanley Robinson isn't a Big East-caliber athlete.

Reaction Score
The videos i've seen of him really show his speed and handle. Looking forward to his having the opportunity to show it off for us.Kemba's leadership will be really missed this year, although I think Bazz can run the show if he stays focused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom