Could be TJ's time...Why Not? | The Boneyard

Could be TJ's time...Why Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As we all sit and wait, I have been mulling over all the names and I couldn't stop thinking about TJ Weist
and how he got left out last time around. Since then he has added to his resume with stops at Michigan and most recently 10-2 USF which takes on South Carolina to tomorrow in the Birmingham bowl. TJ is the head coach for the bowl.

1. Offensive strategist
2. Popular with UCONN fans, knows the ropes at UCONN
3. Recruiting - knows Northeast and can possibly pull some recruits from Florida, etc.
4. Knows the teams in The AAC
5. Great Offensive teacher

He could put together a staff pretty quickly and should get off the ground quickly. If Moorhead says no, I would prefer TJ over Randy. He's younger and for sure you will see a more dynamic offense under him. Who knows, maybe we find out after tomorrow's Birmingham bowl!

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
I'd be delighted to have TJ back.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Never in my life did I imagine that UConn fans would so quickly and readily settle for mediocrity.

Look, I get it, we want a coach who provides some semblance of sanity on the sidelines. Yes, Weist and Edsall would do that. But is that all we want? Stop thinking of UConn as a crap job. Where is our usual confidence?! The Big XII fiasco obviously brought us low, along with the current state of the men's BB team. We are UConn Dammit! I am not going to be happy with Benedict making a late coaching change unless he did it because he pulled a rabbit out of the hat. It's what I'm expecting. A big name, a surprise, a guy who ESPN and CBS and Fox quickly say: Wow! I didn't think he'd go to UConn! We've used up all our freaking bad luck...karma owes us on this.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Lol the love affair for a dude that went 3-5 with the best QB we've had in years against a garbage schedule is peak boneyard. "Well he wore short sleeves in December, and not red pants dagnabbit, that's my kinda guy, let's give him 1.5M and a 5 year contract by golly".

Reaction Score
Never in my life did I imagine that UConn fans would so quickly and readily settle for mediocrity.

Look, I get it, we want a coach who provides some semblance of sanity on the sidelines. Yes, Weist and Edsall would do that. But is that all we want? Stop thinking of UConn as a crap job. Where is our usual confidence?! The Big XII fiasco obviously brought us low, along with the current state of the men's BB team. We are UConn Dammit! I am not going to be happy with Benedict making a late coaching change unless he did it because he pulled a rabbit out of the hat. It's what I'm expecting. A big name, a surprise, a guy who ESPN and CBS and Fox quickly say: Wow! I didn't think he'd go to UConn! We've used up all our freaking bad luck...karma owes us on this.

I hear what you are saying but we can't always be going through a rebuild. We've been doing that for 6 years! TJ could start where he left off. I understand that TJ is not a huge name like Les Miles but I also don't consider him mediocre. Many of the current AAC head coaches were successful coordinators Plus TJ did coach UCONN. TJ brings quite a resume plus knows UCONN and the AAC. On the contrary, I think he's a strong yet practical candidate.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Not likely. He doesn't have the qualifications that AD David Benedict laid out, mainly head coaching experience.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, he was brought in by Warde through their Michigan connections as essentially the coach-in-waiting should PP fail miserably that season. He got his tryout, went 3-5, and Warde still went with someone other than him. His own guy didn't even want to hire him. Why would DB?

Reaction Score

I understand the need for UConn fans to have something to be excited about. But I remind you that it was perfectly reasonable for us to be excited about Diaco.

I am far more concerned that DB hires someone who will improve and build the program over time. If it's not sexy, but it works, I'm all for it.

Reaction Score
I hear what you are saying but we can't always be going through a rebuild. We've been doing that for 6 years! TJ could start where he left off. I understand that TJ is not a huge name like Les Miles but I also don't consider him mediocre. Many of the current AAC head coaches were successful coordinators Plus TJ did coach UCONN. TJ brings quite a resume plus knows UCONN and the AAC. On the contrary, I think he's a strong yet practical candidate.

Why hasn't anyone offered TJ a head coaching job? Why, after his stint at UConn, did it take him a few years even to get back to being a coordinator?

Are the odds high that it is because no one but the UConn fanbase understands the odds that he will succeed as a head coach?

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, he was brought in by Warde through their Michigan connections as essentially the coach-in-waiting should PP fail miserably that season. He got his tryout, went 3-5, and Warde still went with someone other than him. His own guy didn't even want to hire him. Why would DB?

Here's what Harbaugh said about him when he hired him:

"T.J. has a wealth of coaching experience and will be an excellent addition to our staff," said Harbaugh, the J. Ira and Nicki Harris Family Head Football Coach. "He has shown the ability to develop countless NFL caliber wide receivers over his career and has immense knowledge of the collegiate game. He will be a great asset to our program."

Reaction Score

"T.J. has a wealth of coaching experience and will be an excellent addition to our staff," said Harbaugh, the J. Ira and Nicki Harris Family Head Football Coach. "He has shown the ability to develop countless NFL caliber wide receivers over his career and has immense knowledge of the collegiate game. He will be a great asset to our program."

Cool. A head coach didn't trash a newly hired assistant to the media. He must be the second coming of Bear Bryant.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I understand the need for UConn fans to have something to be excited about. But I remind you that it was perfectly reasonable for us to be excited about Diaco.

I am far more concerned that DB hires someone who will improve and build the program over time. If it's not sexy, but it works, I'm all for it.

Agreed. On paper Diaco was a solid hire. He turned out to have too many unique quirks when running a program. So Benedict will get someone with HC experience, where those traits have been exposed. One of the keys for me with DB is that he worked in the Big Ten, the Pac 10 and the SEC. He has connections. I think he's trusting his judgment, and his staff's. But would a guy like that gravitate toward an ex UConn coach he doesn't know who coached at Maryland?

Successful beats sexy, but he's also got a fan revolt on his hands. This hire has to inspire confidence. It needs a little bit of zing.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

He lasted 1 year

Reaction Score
Lol the love affair for a dude that went 3-5 with the best QB we've had in years against a garbage schedule is peak boneyard. "Well he wore short sleeves in December, and not red pants dagnabbit, that's my kinda guy, let's give him 1.5M and a 5 year contract by golly".

Take your ball and go home.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
What was he going to say? Introductory praise for a WR coach is hardly an endorsement to run a program.

Interview him if you want, but he hasn't shown enough to be ready for this job.

Reaction Score
Why are so many people obsessed with a coach having Uconn Connections? I've read Holtz, Edsall, Moorhead, Orlando, Brown, and Weist all being thrown out as possible candidates. Uconn Fans should be proud of their history, but come on. Is it just a fear that if one of these guys had success they wouldn't leave? Some might not, but others assuredly would. I'm not trying to disparage the potential of any of these candidates, just asking why not broaden your search?

There are a multitude of coaches who could be successful at Uconn that have zero ties to the program. As a Penn State Fan I understand the bizarre fascination of fans in every base(especially our own) have with the next coach always needing to be a ______ Guy. Therefore I was thrilled when it was disclosed that Franklin was the primary target. I knew he could energize the fan base and recruit the players needed to compete with OSU and Michigan. I hope Benedict thinks like this. Don't worry about if he is a Uconn Guy, worry if he is the right guy.

Reaction Score
Why hasn't anyone offered TJ a head coaching job? Why, after his stint at UConn, did it take him a few years even to get back to being a coordinator?

Are the odds high that it is because no one but the UConn fanbase understands the odds that he will succeed as a head coach?

All good questions but still say it could be his time. Why is he named the interim coach for the Birmingham bowl? Why was he named UCONN's interim? I'm not going to pretend that I know all that goes into these decisions but if you add up all the variables, TJ stacks up pretty well, except for those golf shirts in Dec. If I'm Benedict that needs to go into the contract. No Izod's in Winter!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
After making a decision that invokes making the huge payout, I just can't imagine any business person bringing back TJ or Randy.
This HAS to be a big splash hire - it has to create fan base excitement while ensuring coaching and recruitment success
This HAS to be an experienced HC
This HAS to ensure a transition that promotes and shows a level of success not seen in UConn football history
AD David Benedict's future depends on it

Reaction Score
Cool. A head coach didn't trash a newly hired assistant to the media. He must be the second coming of Bear Bryant.

I as curious what the job at Michigan "Offensive analyst" involved. Here is what I found. Certainly not 2nd coming of Bear Bryant but a lot more goes into this than I thought:

Job Detail

Offensive Football Analyst
How to Apply

A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.

Job Summary
Assist with management of the service and support functions of the Football program.

Responsibilities*
General Duties include the following:
1) Maintain and update football computer database. Attach opponent data to video to allow assistant coaches to efficiently view opponent video.
2) Type and print documents created by Assistant Coaches.
3) Assist with class checking of current student-athletes.
4) Assist academic support staff with organizing and monitoring study table.
5) Copying and distributing weekly opponent scouting reports.
6) Creating, copying, and distributing team playbook.
7) Monitor team curfew during preseason training camp.
8) Lifestyle monitoring of student-athletes. Monitor off-campus student-athlete housing.
9) Assists with administrative oversight of graduate assistants and football analysts.
10) Administrative duties as assigned by the Associate Athletic Director for Football and Director of Director of Football Operations.
Recruiting:
1) Assist recruiting coaches with campus tours during official visits.
2) Transport prospects to and from the airport during official visits.
3) Transport prospects to and from academic meetings during official visits.
4) Provide tours of Schembechler Hall for prospects on unofficial visits.
5) Assist recruiting coaches with athletic campus tours during official visits.
Game Day:
1) Chart and record play calls and opponent play calls.
2) Provide assistant coaches with statistical data compiled during the game.
Summer Camps & Coaches Clinics:
1) Provide administrative support to the position coaches for summer camp.
2) Assist in organization of position skill instruction.
3) Provides on-field oversight for the men's football experience.
4) Other administrative duties assigned by coaching staff.

Required Qualifications*
Must possess a Bachelor's degree.
Must possess prior experience assisting with the management of the service and support functions of a Division I football program.
Must possess prior Football Analyst experience at a Division I football program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom