Could any of our guys start on a Power 5 team? | The Boneyard

Could any of our guys start on a Power 5 team?

Reaction Score
Watching Darrian Beavers on Cincinnati made me wonder if any of our guys could start for a Power 5 team or a legitimate team like Cincinnati. Other than 1st team Matt Peart, no Huskies even made AAC honorable mention in 2018 or 2019. That would suggest a "no" but these awards are not perfect since Tyler Davis was snubbed but was good at Georgia Tech and now in NFL. However, the only players that started at Power 5 schools were recruited by Crazy Bob (including Beavers who got an offer in early December 2016). The recurring excuse from current staff is that "the cupboard was bare" when they got here, but there were a number of good players from the old regime. And now that we have a few recruiting classes, I am sad to say I can't think of any easy names. Maybe the cupboard IS bare. But I am looing forward to next season and hope there's a spring game. It's been too long since I have tailgated at The Rent.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I gotta be honest...after not seeing the team for over a year and all the transfers and new commitments, I barely know who is on the team let alone their current ability.

I hope RE finds a way to get the fans connected to the team again this spring. Some sort of spring game is needed.

Reaction Score
Watching Darrian Beavers on Cincinnati made me wonder if any of our guys could start for a Power 5 team or a legitimate team like Cincinnati. Other than 1st team Matt Peart, no Huskies even made AAC honorable mention in 2018 or 2019. That would suggest a "no" but these awards are not perfect since Tyler Davis was snubbed but was good at Georgia Tech and now in NFL. However, the only players that started at Power 5 schools were recruited by Crazy Bob (including Beavers who got an offer in early December 2016). The recurring excuse from current staff is that "the cupboard was bare" when they got here, but there were a number of good players from the old regime. And now that we have a few recruiting classes, I am sad to say I can't think of any easy names. Maybe the cupboard IS bare. But I am looing forward to next season and hope there's a spring game. It's been too long since I have tailgated at The Rent.

Posted Dec 3rd 2019.. Van Demark made honorable mention.

1FA81371-A487-440E-9C6A-FB385BDF1E93.jpeg

Reaction Score
And there are more.. did you do any research before posting there were no AAC honorable mention in 2018 or 2019? It wasn’t hard to find some of UConn’s players on those lists..

Attachments

• 7F7E5073-C724-4FB2-BB2E-230758FC5949.jpeg
    7F7E5073-C724-4FB2-BB2E-230758FC5949.jpeg
    535.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 8EA9F8E7-9D73-426A-BBD8-89F0106352ED.jpeg
    8EA9F8E7-9D73-426A-BBD8-89F0106352ED.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 219
Reaction Score
And there are more.. did you do any research before posting there were no AAC honorable mention in 2018 or 2019? It wasn’t hard to find some of UConn’s players on those lists..
Ok, you found some stuff from PFF. I was using the AAC.org website, and that's where the coaches vote, which is a better gauge of talent. Guys from Bama or Ohio State are described as All-SEC or All Big Ten, not All-PFF. So we have 2 honorable mentions and a third-teamer from PFF. I guess that's better than nothing.

Reaction Score
What happened to Tyler Coyle once he transferred to Purdue? Doesn’t look like he put up many stats and I think he had some injury issues, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he is playing on Sundays, based on his UConn performance. He was our best player last year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I couldn't name five starters for UConn right now. And neither can anyone else. It's all subjective. By the time UConn plays a game in August or September 2021 it will have been about 20 months since anyone has taken a snap at UConn.

Reaction Score
I tend to think if you surround a decent player with other guys that are as good or better he can perform adequately. For instance if you put some of our backs behind a stud P5 line he could do well. If you put some of our D lineman on a line with stud P5 lineman he could do well as those lineman can command double teams etc giving him some room to work
Conversely if you take a P5 stud and put him on our young team he could struggle a bit depending on the position. Football is complimentary

Reaction Score
I couldn't name five starters for UConn right now. And neither can anyone else. It's all subjective. By the time UConn plays a game in August or September 2021 it will have been about 20 months since anyone has taken a snap at UConn.
Offense
LT Van Demark
LG Niedrowski
C Walker
RG Haynes
RT Wyant
WRs Ross Drayton (Maurisseau)
TE Rose, Medlock in 2 TE sets or as a HBack
RB Mensah
QB ? Needy here

Defense
DL They are going to have a full 2 deep rotation and will be the most improved unit of the team.
KJones Uguak TJones Moore Watts Gourdine DeVaughn Quay Harris (McCarthy)
LB Morgan Mitchell Forte
DB Harrell Bell (Ferrell Lucien)
K McFadden
P Kerr
LS Keating
KR (Ross Brewton)
Hopefully some younger good surprises

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s been incredibly impressive to see how committed the players have been to turning the disappointment of a canceled season into a collective mission to get bigger, stronger and smarter. One important example (among many) has been the demonstrable transformation of linebackers DJ Morgan, Jackson Mitchell and Omar Fortt. This unit should be reminiscent of some of our best.

Reaction Score
There are plenty of crappy P5 teams. It ain't all Alabama and Clemson. There are a bunch of Kansas, Illinois, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Duke, Rutgers, and Boston Colleges in the P5.

Reaction Score
I would say there might be a few lower level P5 teams that a few of UConn players could possibly make the 2 deep for.

Reaction Score
Talk about the players, how about the coaches. Could any of our coaches get the same coaching positions at a power 5 team.

Pretty sure HCRE2.0 could not get a head coaching job at a power 5 team. How about the rest of the coaches?

Reaction Score
There are plenty of crappy P5 teams. It ain't all Alabama and Clemson. There are a bunch of Kansas, Illinois, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Duke, Rutgers, and Boston Colleges in the P5.

Even "crapppy teams" have some good players...

BC.......1st round OG
BC........3rd round DE
BC........3rd round S
BC........7th round TE

Reaction Score
What happened to Tyler Coyle once he transferred to Purdue? Doesn’t look like he put up many stats and I think he had some injury issues, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he is playing on Sundays, based on his UConn performance. He was our best player last year.
Played in only 4 games due to injuries...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom