Couger ThoughtZ™ | The Boneyard

Couger ThoughtZ™

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. Houston scored the first 5 points of the game.
  2. We scored the next 16.
  3. Whaley "I'm kinda sorta open, so I'm just gonna shoot this 18 foot jumper." Boom. 16-5. Wow! That was great. The next two times he did that, not so much.
  4. Seemed like Houston resisted fouling Vital all game long, until we gave them no choice. He did not shoot a free throw until there were 48 seconds left in the game. Then he went 8 for 8 in winning time. Shades of Bazz in the 2014 Tourney.
  5. How do you win a game in which the opposition has 23 more FG attempts than you? Well, it helps that they only made 2 more than us.
  6. We were out rebounded by NINE -- by a dozen on the offensive boards.
  7. There were 44 boards available (missed shots) off their rim, compared to 29 at our end.
  8. They had more assists than us. More steals, too. They shot 100% from the FT line compared to our 76%. Other than blocked shots and FG% they led every column across the box score. Yet we won.
  9. Sid made his return. Other than 4 fouls, his line would have been empty, were it not for one timely, uber athletic and very important block. And the play-by-play guy game Whaley the credit for Sid's only highlight.
  10. My favorite Bouk moment (is this a Book Report?) was when he went coast to coast literally weaving his way through the defense. The antithesis of a fast break. Really demonstrated how his handle has improved.
  11. The last few minutes of this game was NOT recommended viewing for old men with a heart condition.
    Every time they scored (especially a 3) I'd be holding my breath until the inbounds pass went to CV. And as soon as he got fouled, I could breath easy again, because I knew he wouldn't miss. Until they scored again, and I'd be holdng my breath again. In the back of my head, computing how long we can hold on trading two for three.

Last edited:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
We reversed the FT disparity from the first game and made up for the rebound difference with offensive efficiency. On Whaley's shot I wonder if he has the green light? I see no mention of our defense either. Look at the stats for UH starting 5

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Whaley needs to learn to stop at 1 make on jumpers
If that's the only thing he does wrong - I am great with that
Without him this team is in a different place
He has been so dominant on the inside

Reaction Score
My favorite call of the game, Adams at the line. Announcer 1: i like to call him mr action because when he comes in something happens. Announcer 2: and he just missed 2 free throws. Lolol!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
At halftime I was thinking we played really well and are still down by 7.

That had me worried a bit considering UConn dominated 16 minutes. Houston had the first minute and the last three and was up. When UConn came out in second half and tied it up right away I was much more comfortable.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I have no problem with Whaley shooting a couple of jumpers a game. They are low percetage for sure....BUT.... if he develops that into a reliable shot, and he needs to shoot to do, he will be weapon. That's how guys develop.
I agree with you. He has been money at the FT line, and his shot looks good to my untrained eyes!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
  1. Houston scored the first 5 points of the game.
  2. We scored the next 16.
  3. Whaley "I'm kinda sorta open, so I'm just gonna shoot this 18 foot jumper." Boom. 16-5. Wow! That was great. The next two times he did that, not so much.
  4. Seemed like Houston resisted fouling Vital all game long, until we gave them no choice. He did not shoot a free throw until there were 48 seconds left in the game. Then he went 8 for 8 in winning time. Shades of Bazz in the 2014 Tourney.
  5. How do you win a game in which the opposition has 23 more FG attempts than you? Well, it helps that they only made 2 more than us.
  6. We were out rebounded by NINE -- by a dozen on the offensive boards.
  7. There were 44 boards available (missed shots) off their rim, compared to 29 at our end.
  8. They had more assists than us. More steals, too. They shot 100% from the FT line compared to our 76%. Other than blocked shots and FG% they led every column across the box score. Yet we won.
  9. Sid made his return. Other than 4 fouls, his line would have been empty, were it not for one timely, uber athletic and very important block. And the play-by-play guy game Whaley the credit for Sid's only highlight.
  10. My favorite Bouk moment (is this a Book Report?) was when he went coast to coast literally weaving his way through the defense. The antithesis of a fast break. Really demonstrated how his handle has improved.
  11. The last few minutes of this game was NOT recommended viewing for old men with a heart condition.
    Every time they scored (especially a 3) I'd be holding my breath until the inbounds pass went to CV. And as soon as he got fouled, I could breath easy again, because I knew he wouldn't miss. Until they scored again, and I'd be holdng my breath again. In the back of my head, computing how long we can hold on trading two for three.

As to #6, it played out as though Hurley said, "Yeah, let 'em get their offensive rebounds. It''s what they do. Just limit their scoring off of them."

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I have no problem with Whaley shooting a couple of jumpers a game. They are low percetage for sure....BUT.... if he develops that into a reliable shot, and he needs to shoot to do, he will be weapon. That's how guys develop.
His form is decent and he’s a good athlete. Usually a good combo Ultimately Donny Marshall became a reliable shooter for the same reasons. If IW adds that to his arsenal, he can have a phenomenal senior year.

Reaction Score
This may have been said already but Whaley reminds me of Facey trajectory just a year earlier.

Feels like one of those kids that has some potential combined with great attitude, just needs to be coached up and is willing to be coached up. Hoping next year is that “extra” year Kentan sadly didn’t have to put it all together [edit - for a full season]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whaley's not bad from the FT line. If he's shooting somewhere in the 15 ft. range, I'm alright with the jumpers. I still remember at practice one day my coach walked a 15 ft arc around the hoop and told me I should make all those shots with the same frequency as FT's. I don't know why.. but it worked for me.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m not saying I don’t want Whaley to shoot at all. Just seems he typically will hit his first then miss 2 or 3 more

Reaction Score
And to think we lost to this team 84-45 in aac tourney last year. Granted they lost a lot of talent, but what a great turnaround

Reaction Score
At halftime I was thinking we played really well and are still down by 7.

That was crazy. Houston had that crazy run of baskets in the last 1:30 or so and went from down 3 to up 7 just like that. It felt like we dominated the half. Fortunately we came out firing in the second and erased the deficit quickly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom