Corresponding from Castellanzo. | The Boneyard

Corresponding from Castellanzo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Castellanza Arena Entrance.JPG

The entrance to the arena in Castellanza, about an hour from Lake Como Italy.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Castellanza team.JPG

The Castellanza team and the German pro team coach. yes, they are short. No, not that short, he's much taller than Geno.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Philster, what kind of competition resembles the teams that UConn has played? Would you say small D1 or good high school teams?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Anna from Frankfort.JPG

Anna is from Frankfort Germany, and played on the German team we played in Florence (five hour dirve away.) I wasn't sure why she was here. but it turned out the same team played the forst quarter, before the local team took over. I leanred after the game that the German team had just finished a game here, so Anna played a full game, then a quarter against UConn, and she's still beaming.

She played for the University of Bridgeport a few years ago.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Team pic with Phil and Lindsay.JPG

Team picture after final exhibition match, plus a coulpe picture crashers.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Phil, Are you just along for the vacation or are you the official stalker of the team trip?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
do they wear offical UConn uniforms for these game or just "practice" type gear?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
do they wear offical UConn uniforms for these game or just "practice" type gear?

They wear practice uniforms. They brought four uniforms, two white and two blue. They have a girls cut and a boys cut, I assume one of each color. I think the cut refers mainly to the shoulders. Interestingly, the team got to choose what cut. The color is determined by away or home, and we were away, although we sat at the home bench at one of the arena, I think.

The practice jerseys have numbers on the back, but not the front.This makes for some odd moments when a ref calls a fould and the player is facign them. He has to wait until the player turns or he has to run around to see the number.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Bria looks much bigger than 5'7". Oh, we've been down this road before.

I didn't do the right homework on this. I noticed I was eye to eye with Kaleena, and I'm 6' 1'' or maybe a half inch shy so her reported height of 6 feet sounds right. I didn't make the same observation while talking to Bria, she was usually sitting down when I talked to her, but I think 5' 7" sounds too short.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
They wear practice uniforms. They brought four uniforms, two white and two blue. They have a girls cut and a boys cut, I assume one of each color. I think the cut refers mainly to the shoulders. Interestingly, the team got to choose what cut. The color is determined by away or home, and we were away, although we sat at the home bench at one of the arena, I think.

The practice jerseys have numbers on the back, but not the front.This makes for some odd moments when a ref calls a fould and the player is facign them. He has to wait until the player turns or he has to run around to see the number.
thanks Philster

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The weakest team reminded me of Sacret Heart, so very small D1. The stronger team (Dutch Naitonal) reminded me more of Marist or even Xavier, fairly good Xavier came to mind becasue they had two bigs both taller than Steph.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Philster -- not that it matters, but any sense whether the two no-shows -- Nigeria and Sarrlouis Royals -- were expected to be tougher opponents?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Philster -- not that it matters, but any sense whether the two no-shows -- Nigeria and Sarrlouis Royals -- were expected to be tougher opponents?

The Sarrlouis Royals were there, sort of. They are the team I've been calling the German pro team. Having said that, their jerseys had some other name, so there's a chance I missed something. I am sure it wasn't the whole team, there were only eight, and they have a couple of Americans on the roster. I think it is early for them, and not everyone is there. The picture of the coach doesn't match the guy who showed up, but he could be the assistant.

I don't know how good the Nigerians are, but the odds are very good they would be better than the Castellanze team. Plus, more suited to the heat.

I just checked out the Sarrlouis Royals page, and I'm now convinced it was a different team, although I don't recall them explaining it to us. I don't see any pictures on that team page that match anyone I saw at the game.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Phil, you guys are lucky to also be missing Irene which is bearing down on us .. Looks like it will have the eye pass over Bridgeport and storrs will definitely be getting lots of rain and winds. They opened campus early for moving in since Sunday will be a total wash out. Good timing for you guys. Enjoy the rest of the trip.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Phil, you guys are lucky to also be missing Irene which is bearing down on us .. Looks like it will have the eye pass over Bridgeport and storrs will definitely be getting lots of rain and winds. They opened campus early for moving in since Sunday will be a total wash out. Good timing for you guys. Enjoy the rest of the trip.

Well although I think that Phil is a pretty lucky guy to have had the opportunity to go on that trip, Phil is not quite that lucky. He returned along with the team and is here in Connecticut, in the path of Irene, along with the rest of us. :(

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm sitting here in the rain. However, it could have been worse, if we had planned to return on Sunday, it might have been a real mess.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Ouch, thought you guys were totally going to luck out. Well, welcome back, we enjoyed the updates! Good luck with the storm!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm sitting here in the rain. However, it could have been worse, if we had planned to return on Sunday, it might have been a real mess.
Welcome back! I'm still envious, but appreciative of the pics and reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom