Coronavirus and FF | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coronavirus and FF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Flu and its complications account for something between 12,000 - 60,000 US deaths each year and 100,000s of hospitalizations.
It's been reported that the Corona Virus has 20-30 times the mortality rate of the flu, so rounding this to 25 and then multiplying, then this could mean 300,000- 1,500,000 deaths.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I walked around mid-town Manhattan for an hour at mid-day and no one absolutely no one was wearing a mask...but traffic was lighter than normal...cabs and buses could move.

After a series of medical appointments, we're driving back to VT tomorrow...Really no choice, I had robotic open heart surgery in Oct and have suffered with virus' and sinus infections all Winter (played havoc with the ski season)...I am a prime candidate for an early grave if I catch this thing.

I follow developments closely; we have cases in Mass. and NH now, just not officially stated. St J has a fine boarding academy replete with Chinese and Korean kids but for the most part they didn't go home for the holidays and as of yet inter-continental transmission has been ruled out. :)

I've read a great deal about the 1917-18 episode and this one sounds a whole lot like that one. Scary thought; hundred of thousands of ill people; no way the medical establishment could cope...In NYC alone, 17 hospitals have closed in the last decade...and where will the Dr's come from. This isn't China where the government can just order personnel to the front lines.

So yes, I'm concerned, absolutely not in a panic...not going out and buying masks or stocking up on toilet paper. just taking reasonable precautions like getting out of Dodge...but I believe those experts who say that community spread is inevitable and probably under way...and such minor matters of BB games and the like, pale in comparison to a rapid reduction in the senior population...although I can see the ultimate fiscal benefits of that to the economy.

Could make SS and Medicare solvent :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just as a note; Cars over-ran the parking lot at Costco's in LA this morning. Normally, before 11:00am, the lot is half empty ( and the lot is huge ). Today, cars were 3-4 deep, waiting in each parking aisle for someone to leave. We gave up and went home.

Buying supplies for the great hibernation to come. Costco stock up 10% today.

If people stop doing everything, the economy will tank. And it is a self-sustaining negative proposition. Revenues decline, layoffs occur, people's income diminishes, spending dries up, more companies fail, followed by more lay-offs.

Hope we are all over-reacting.

Ugh.
So this will be the means to usher in an econonic depression? Uh oh.

Reaction Score
Hopefully one difference between the swine flu in the early 1900s and now is our treatment and understanding of it has greatly improved. I', getting older so I always get the flu shot and have never had a problem with it. I wonder how long before an immunization becomes available. I know that takes time but should be available before next season. The prime season for viruses is winding down now due to warmer weather where people go outside instead of being shut in close together inside...well until this bunker down stuff spreads.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It's been reported that the Corona Virus has 20-30 times the mortality rate of the flu, so rounding this to 25 and then multiplying, then this could mean 300,000- 1,500,000 deaths.

That's assuming it's as easily transmissible as the flu, which it doesn't appear to be.

In all of China, 86,500 people have been confirmed infected and 2942 have died. Most of these are in Wuhan, which is a city of 11,000,000 people. So in the epicenter of where the virus has affected far and away the most number of people, only 0.8% of the population there has contracted the virus, and .026% of people in Wuhan have died from it. Numbers of new cases reported in China have been consistently slowing too over the past month.

I think measures should be taken to prevent further spreading and slow down the virus but I think all of the coronavirus hysteria is getting blown way out of proportion.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What's funny is the bottom ad on my BY page is for N95 Masks.:eek:

I need to go get some masks for the upcoming grass cutting season.... hopefully nobody will buy up all the masks at Ace Hardware before I get there :eek: :confused::p:eek:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hopefully one difference between the swine flu in the early 1900s
This brings to mind my favorite meme from the 2009 swine flu outbreak...

1583254786853.png

It still makes me laugh.

Reaction Score
At my local market, if you wanted Hand Sanitizer, you had to get it at the pharmacy counter. 2 per person, once a day.:eek:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I'll be making my way to the ACC tournament tournament tomorrow..... carrying hand sanitizer for sure... possibly a mask... just in case i pass by any Tarheel fans. :eek:
(Not to make light of a very serious situation, but...:) Although cheateritis does seem to be contagious these days, one has to actively seek it out to succumb to the condition, so you should be safe.

Reaction Score
I am not accusing you of being the only reason for the shortage of these masks. I wasn't under the impression that you single handedly put the global supply of these at risk.

I'm simply saying that its you and others like yourself that don't do their research that caused this shortage, which is supported by the article I linked. :)

The shortage is due to the fact that masks are manufactured in China and China has banned the export of the masks to insure enough for it's citizens. It isn't just masks, it includes the vast bulk of the pharmaceuticals of US citizens. The US government has cut the budget of the CDC, eliminated their epidemic preparation staff and frankly have chosen to protect the economy rather than aggressively fight the spread of the virus. There is no win option, both choices have a downside. But to deny testing to all but a very few instances is a political decision, if you don't test you don't have active cases.
What I disagree with is the assumption that anything that gives the public a truthful picture of reality is being called panic-inducing. There is certainly a reason for concern and a reason for people to prepare for shortages of necessities and to refrain from large crowds. There's a huge gap between prudence and panic.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
At my local market, if you wanted Hand Sanitizer, you had to get it at the pharmacy counter. 2 per person, once a day.:eek:
[/QUOTE
Went to Sam's Club this morning and every cart that I saw had the four pack hand sanitizers, the pallet that they had them on had more empty box holders than what was left. They had a sign stating limit one per purchase.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
As I feared this thread is treading dangerously into areas not for this forum. Yes the tournament(s) and attendance is a pertinent issue but the geopolitics and economics is not. Locking this thread. When this topic brought back onto this board, please restrict discussion to those issues pertinent to WCBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom