Corner tackling | The Boneyard

Corner tackling

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I can't find a thread for this, so I am starting a new one.

I am not surprised that we are having these kind of problems tackling by our DB's given how far off they are playing. Sprinting to close that much space against a wide receiver in space is not easy. It is an easy move for the WR to juke the DB and have him grabbing air in that situation.

I think we need to have tighter coverage so that those WR screens are more dangerous passes, or drop more back so we are gang tackling, rather than asking DB's to make miracle tackles in space.

Reaction Score
I agree with your points, but I think you are missing the most important point. UConn is playing way too many freshmen at DB and the types of players UConn recruits need to be developed and preferably redshirted. The freshmen DBs just aren't ready to compete at this level and you can see it on the field. On a positive note, this year's experience will help in the future.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree with your points, but I think you are missing the most important point. UConn is playing way too many freshmen at DB and the types of players UConn recruits need to be developed and preferably redshirted. The freshmen DBs just aren't ready to compete at this level and you can see it on the field. On a positive note, this year's experience will help in the future.

I agree with that, but I think the DB's should be playing no more than 5 yards off, especially if there is safety help deep. Those long passes are not easy completions for college quarterbacks, and I am not as worried about getting beaten on a sideline route 40 yards downfield against a 2 deep then getting chewed up in 15 yard chunks all day long.

Reaction Score
Been beat to death in scheme discussions. I'd rather see them in press coverage and being physical at the LOS to disrupt timing and give rush another second and contest the bubble. And, yes they will get beat deep on many occasions. Having players make one on one tackles with 7 yard gaps against physically stronger and faster players is a formula for disaster. But Betty thinks it will get magically better with big cushions.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
On the 95 TD, Swan was right on the guy and he was brushed aside like nothing.

Brayden Brown had an angle on him. If it was Obi, it would have been a 35 yard chunk. Brown was 15 yards behind when the WR crossed the goal line.

In an ideal world, Swan would have two more years of weight training before being asked to make that play.

Reaction Score
On the 95 TD, Swan was right on the guy and he was brushed aside like nothing.

Brayden Brown had an angle on him. If it was Obi, it would have been a 35 yard chunk. Brown was 15 yards behind when the WR crossed the goal line.

In an ideal world, Swann would have two more years of weight training before being asked to make that play.
I just rewatched this play. Swann is clearly overmatched; however, it's the Safety's responsibility to clean things up. Brayden Brown might've have had an angle later on on that play but Marshe Terry completely whiffed on that play himself. He was right there with Swann. He should've grab ahold of that WR until the calvary came at the very least. If you look at the game as a whole he's proven that he too needs a ton of work tackling. He needs to clean up missed tailor. He's our last line of defense at Safety. Honestly, inexcusable.

scoobydoo

Reaction Score
I just rewatched this play. Swan is clearly overmatched; however, it's the Safety's responsibility to clean things up. Brayden Brown might've have had an angle later on on that play but Marshe Terry completely whiffed on that play himself. He was right there with Swann. He should've grab ahold of that WR until the calvary came at the very least. If you look at the game as a whole he's priven that he took needs a ton of work tackling. He needs to clean up missed tailor. He's our last line of defense at Safety. Honestly, inexcusable.
Time

Reaction Score
I am surprised no one is demanding we go to the Big East because of our tackling.

Reaction Score
Swann looked like he was falling (or diving) at the WR's feet. Could have slipped. But was lying on the ground when he tried to make the tackle.

Notice that Coyle stayed step for step the whole way but couldn't close.

Reaction Score
Part of it is speed part strength. In fact that is a really big part. Most of these guys shouldn’t be playing every down or any down for that matter. Most really needed a year in the weight room and a year on the scout team to become stronger and to learn technique. One reason for the big cushion is that the game is just too fast for many of these guys. Swan I think will be a good player but in a normal situation he would return punts and kick offs and mate play an occasional extra dback situation. Forte belongs in the weight room and so does Coyle. They aren’t covering 16 year olds any more. They are now the ones being out muscled. And athleticism isn’t enough to succeed at this level. You need strength and you need technique. And technique isn’t just about coverage. It is also about being in position to bring down the receiver if he makes the catch.

scoobydoo

Reaction Score
Swann looked like he was falling (or diving) at the WR's feet. Could have slipped. But was lying on the ground when he tried to make the tackle.

I heard it was scheme.

Reaction Score
I heard it was scheme.
That played a role. He started off dropping back on the snap and then had to stop and attack the receiver in open space. Not sure why he went down but the cushion had something to do with either way.

scoobydoo

Reaction Score
That played a role. He started off dropping back on the snap and then had to stop and attack the receiver in open space. Not sure why he went down but the cushion had something to do with either way.

Don't play Koi, it had nothing to with scheme. hahahaha

scoobydoo

Reaction Score
I rewatched the play numerous times on ESPN3.

Are you being coy? Sometimes what you see isn't what you think you see. LOL

hahaha

Reaction Score
Cornerbacks tackling? Channeling my inner John McKay....'I'm all for it!'

Reaction Score
The extra yards give receiver a chance to make a move. Youth just adds to the problem.

We are not fast enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom