Corey Evans on UConn Recruiting | The Boneyard

Corey Evans on UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
BasketballRecruiting.Rivals.com - Twitter Tuesday: Kentucky's Plan B, UConn, Tyger Campbell

While Kevin Ollie would like nothing more than to secure the commitment of a five-star prospect, he and his staff have also begun to value prospects of a different ilk.

Do not forget, Shabazz Napier didn’t come to UConn as a top-50 prospect; neither did Hasheem Thabeet nor Jeremy Lamb nor Amidah Brimah. Ollie and his staff have seemingly started to prioritize grit over immediate ball skills.

UConn's 2017 class is a good example of this. While the freshmen do not sport any go-to scorers just yet, it does look as if Josh Carlton, Tyler Polley and Isaiah Whaley could evolve into quality pieces and help turn the program an AAC contender again.

The 2018 haul is another sneaky group led by a pit bull in James Akinjo, major interior muscle with Lukas Kisunas and a highly versatile wing with Emmitt Matthews, someone the staff is hoping could evolve into the next Lamb.

Will the Huskies ever land another five-star prospect? Yes, but Ollie and his staff seem to be emphasizing fit over flash, no matter the rankings.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I like Matthews and Akinjo (despite his low 2 pt FG%), but I don’t like the sound of Ollie residing to 3 star/fringe 4 star kids just because they’re a system fit. Ollie’s system doesn’t really have an identity and he hasn’t shown he can develop his recruits consistently.

2019 recruiting will be the same story with Ollie because he’s going to have to sell recruits on a system that has produced back to back bad seasons. Then if Ollie gets fired following next year, the next coach up will be stuck with 3 star drivel following the likely exodus that would come.

I want nothing more than for Ollie to succeed, but I’m very nervous at what will happen if he’s given another chance, but doesn’t improve.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
You have to have a stud or go to guy. That lessens the pressure on the other players and affords them the opportunity to grow into their roles.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Not sure I like the strategy of recruiting less heralded and talented players.
I don’t either. There’s a whole lot of grey area between Cam Reddish and 3 star recruits. Maybe if Ollie spent more time on Reeves and Duke rather than superstars like Shittu and Reddish, we’d have a top 15 class rather than forcing ourselves to believe that our whole class are hidden gems.

In 2019 we have studs in NE like Delaire and Akok, and we have heard almost nothing about them since the summer. Ollie and his assistants should be camping in their backyards.

Reaction Score
I don’t either. There’s a whole lot of grey area between Cam Reddish and 3 star recruits. Maybe if Ollie spent more time on Reeves and Duke rather than superstars like Shittu and Reddish, we’d have a top 15 class rather than forcing ourselves to believe that our whole class are hidden gems.

In 2019 we have studs in NE like Delaire and Akok, and we have heard almost nothing about them since the summer. Ollie and his assistants should be camping in their backyards.
Delaire isn't coming here, don't think we're too involved with Akok either.

Reaction Score
You still need one superlative athlete/scorer/ballhandler or what have you. As long as the guys that are coming here can do or be one of those things it'll be ok I suppose. There are a lot of super quality 4-stars that I wish we had been able to reel in. But in Ollie's offense, predicated on 1-on-1 breakdowns, you absolutely need those type of skills out of at least one guy a class.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Also of note: this idea that lower ranked players are hard workers or have grit, and the top ranked players are soft is the foundation of the Diaco recruiting philosophy that worked out so well.

Pretty sure Jeff Adrien was a top 50 recruit. He didn't have toughness?

I know this article was just a little blurb and not sure how much of it is rooted in actual strategy by the part of KO and staff, but it does seem to fit in with the players we've gotten lately and are our on the trail for.

Reaction Score
I think their kicking the tires everywhere. But are also spending time with some less heralded kids that are talented and with potential so that we don't have a situation where we strike out with everyone and have a shallow bench.

Reaction Score
Assuming all of your recruits are underrated is fools gold.

The bottom line is that UConn is being outcoached and out-recruited. With the on-court product being so poor, it will be difficult to change either of those things.

Sid Wilson is a beast, though. He will easily be the best freshman on the team next year. He was putting up better numbers than most of the 5* talent in his brief Under Armour Association stint this spring for New Heights. 20 PPG on great shooting%. A healthy Gilbert and him would be a great foundation for any coach.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
No, nobody in conference. I meant we’re missing on all of the targets that we put the most time in with (Diallo, Shittu, Reddish, Bamba, Stone).

Indeed. Which is why the Blaze strategy is a solid one. We need good players who can learn the system over a period of time. We cant be left scrambling for crumbs after every 5 star swing and miss. Nor can we have a bunch of players like the top 5 who all think they are Bagley Jr. and are corrosive to team chemistry.
Im sure KO will continue to try and get the right top player when it makes sense. Like all coaches do. But Calhoun built an empire with 2nd level ranked players. and then was able to up the higher ranked player quotient off that success. We can still do that.

Reaction Score
Indeed. Which is why the Blaze strategy is a solid one. We need good players who can learn the system over a period of time. We cant be left scrambling for crumbs after every 5 star swing and miss. Nor can we have a bunch of players like the top 5 who all think they are Bagley Jr. and are corrosive to team chemistry.
Im sure KO will continue to try and get the right top player when it makes sense. Like all coaches do. But Calhoun built an empire with 2nd level ranked players. and then was able to up the higher ranked player quotient off that success. We can still do that.
Agreed, but I’d hammer that 30-100 range rather than the 3* one.

Reaction Score
Calhoun built an empire with big time high school players, this revisionist history that he won with plucky kids with chips on their shoulder is nonsense.

Reaction Score
Assuming all of your recruits are underrated is fools gold.

The bottom line is that UConn is being outcoached and out-recruited. With the on-court product being so poor, it will be difficult to change either of those things.

Sid Wilson is a beast, though. He will easily be the best freshman on the team next year. He was putting up better numbers than most of the 5* talent in his brief Under Armour Association stint this spring for New Heights. 20 PPG on great shooting%. A healthy Gilbert and him would be a great foundation for any coach.

I agree. Even if Adams and Larrier left after this season (TBD on that), there should be enough playmakers based on high school accolades that shouldn't force a less heralded recruit to become a central figure to the roster. In this "worst-case scenario", you still have a line up next season of:
  • Gilbert (McDonald's All-American)
  • Vital (we have already seen he was underrated out of high school IMO)
  • Sid Wilson (top 100 kid out of high school)
  • Mamadou Diarra (top 100 kid out of high school)
  • Josh Carlton (looks promising but we will see)
with...
  • James Akinjo (top 100 coming off bench I presume at least to start season)
  • Isaiah Whaley (we have already seen he was underrated out of high school IMO)
  • Kisunas (we will have to wait and see)
  • Evans is high on Matthews Jr. but we will see
  • Cobb (MIA)
  • Polley (we hope he makes a jump shot in the next millennium)
  • KW
Long-term sure looking for diamonds in the rough probably won't work (not everyone is Gregg Marshall), but I think UConn would be OK next season and it would be paramount to bring in some more top recruits down the road but not as critical in the immediate future. The nice thing is that of the bunch mentioned above, they are all underclassman so the talented guys already on the roster that have shown promise aren't going anywhere for a while (last offseason notwithstanding).

If you believe in the guys above particularly that top 7 IMO in terms of raw talent, development, and that they are not transferring or inexplicably going pro(particularly the guys in bold), there wouldn't be any significant roster turnover for 2-3 years after this season. That gives Ollie a lot of time to bring in your next top 50 guy to build off of this core.

We went through growing pains with Vital last year and look how that has paid dividends this season. We have already seen it to some degree with Whaley and Carlton.

Reaction Score
Not sure I like the strategy of recruiting less heralded and talented players.

We're building from ground zero. A middle of the road AAC team can't waste all their time and resources chasing 5-stars that have 0% of coming here. The staff is signing building blocks to get the program back on its feet. They need momentum and a story to sell before they can land the big tuna. Unfortunately, rebuilding is a process but I feel they are going about it the right way. Find guys with chips on their shoulders who are willing to do what it takes, even if its 4 years on the roster, to build us back up. The alphas will come in time

Reaction Score
I agree. Even if Adams and Larrier left after this season (TBD on that), there should be enough playmakers based on high school accolades that shouldn't force a less heralded recruit to become a central figure to the roster. In this "worst-case scenario", you still have a line up next season of:
  • Gilbert (McDonald's All-American)
  • Vital (we have already seen he was underrated out of high school IMO)
  • Sid Wilson (top 100 kid out of high school)
  • Mamadou Diarra (top 100 kid out of high school)
  • Josh Carlton (looks promising but we will see)
with...
  • James Akinjo (top 100 coming off bench I presume at least to start season)
  • Isaiah Whaley (we have already seen he was underrated out of high school IMO)
  • Kisunas (we will have to wait and see)
  • Evans is high on Matthews Jr. but we will see
  • Cobb (MIA)
  • Polley (we hope he makes a jump shot in the next millennium)
  • KW
Long-term sure looking for diamonds in the rough probably won't work (not everyone is Gregg Marshall), but I think UConn would be OK next season and it would be paramount to bring in some more top recruits down the road but not as critical in the immediate future. The nice thing is that of the bunch mentioned above, they are all underclassman so the talented guys already on the roster that have shown promise aren't going anywhere for a while (last offseason notwithstanding).

If you believe in the guys above particularly that top 7 IMO in terms of raw talent, development, and that they are not transferring or inexplicably going pro(particularly the guys in bold), there wouldn't be any significant roster turnover for 2-3 years after this season. That gives Ollie a lot of time to bring in your next top 50 guy to build off of this core.

We went through growing pains with Vital last year and look how that has paid dividends this season. We have already seen it to some degree with Whaley and Carlton.
I like all of the players you bolded and Matthews too, but my fear would be us struggling again next year under Ollie, him being fired, and then players transferring left and right. If this all happened, the next coach faces a huge project rebuilding.

Ollie has recruited very well in the past, but it’s not going to be easy to secure good 2019 commits when you’ve put up seasons like we have for the second year in a row now.

Reaction Score
Translation:
Ollie is no longer wasting time on the high 5* players that aren't coming to UConn, and instead is working harder on recruits he could actually land.

This is our new reality, at least under Ollie.

There's nothing wrong with doing due diligence on Plans B and C.

But I thought that jettisoning Glen Miller (architect of the highly-visible Diallo disaster) and bringing in Chillious was intended to give us a shot at those blue-chip recruits. If we were just going to fold up the tent and resign ourselves to fringe-top-100 players, why not keep the guy who can coach (but can't recruit) and why bother to bring in the guy who can recruit (but can't coach)?

Reaction Score
I like all of the players you bolded and Matthews too, but my fear would be us struggling again next year under Ollie, him being fired, and then players transferring left and right. If this all happened, the next coach faces a huge project rebuilding.

Ollie has recruited very well in the past, but it’s not going to be easy to secure good 2019 commits when you’ve put up seasons like we have for the second year in a row now.

Yes if Ollie is gone, it is guaranteed to be a couple years before relevancy again provided the new coach ends up being a good hire. I'm going under the assumption that this team continues to grow (NIT/NCAA tourney appearance fingers crossed), Ollie comes back and figures it out. Regardless he has the rest of this season and something that will be evaluated in April. Every thread is poisoned by this conversation so I will stop there.

Assuming Ollie figures this out, which I really hope since I think it is the best option for UConn, and assuming the core above grows, Ollie won't need (he certainly can and should) but at least need to bring in a top 50/75 guy until 2020 when a new core needs to be brought in the follow the guys above. You would hope 2019 so they can learn from these guys but it may be hard if playing time isn't available.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom