Cord Cutting...Sports? | The Boneyard

Cord Cutting...Sports?

Reaction Score
We are close to pulling the trigger, but, in the event of the return of live sports, I'd still need YES, ESPN, and FS1. What is the best route to take here?

Reaction Score
Just cut mine today. Went with YouTube TV for now. I’m watching Bundesliga right now on FS. No YES (I’m a Yankee fan so that can be an issue in the future). No MSG, but those aren’t my teams sports. Hulu Live has YES, but not MSG either.

I believe ATT has YES and MSG, but i think it comes to over $80.

Reaction Score
We are close to pulling the trigger, but, in the event of the return of live sports, I'd still need YES, ESPN, and FS1. What is the best route to take here?
I cut YouTube once March Madness was canceled but once sports is back, I'm joining Hulu Live TV. It has all the sports you mentioned.

As a Huskies/Yankees/Rangers/Giants fan, the only downside about Hulu is that is doesn't have MSG, but F Dolan. I've learned how to stream live Rangers games pretty easily on my laptop.

Reaction Score
I've had Fubo, Hulu, Playstation Vue and now Youtube TV. All have their strengths and weaknesses. Fubo is the most stable of the lot but no ESPN or Yes. Hulu doesn't have NESN but I'm a Mets fan so I don't care. Youtube is the best "value" but no YES. Keep in mind that straight up internet in Comcast world is $77.95/mo.

Reaction Score
Speaking of the Mets, I'm sure you're aware but you can get Mets games only by purchasing a subscription to MLB a la carte for about $90 a season. I've done it for 3+ years now, absolute steal of a deal for someone who lives outside the broadcast area or doesn't have access to SNY.

Reaction Score
I am paralyzed regarding cord cutting. Down in here south Florida, Comcast or Xfinity or what ever they're calling themselves this week, are playing hardball. They are telling customers they cannot simply cut TV service and keep just internet service. You get both or lose both. Also, as I look at the fine print in my monthly bills, I see they have moved a channel or two each month out of my package and into an extra cost entertainment add-on package. I'm paying more and getting less. I have Amazon Prime and a Fire Stick, too. Still, I'm afraid of missing out.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Speaking of the Mets, I'm sure you're aware but you can get Mets games only by purchasing a subscription to MLB a la carte for about $90 a season. I've done it for 3+ years now, absolute steal of a deal for someone who lives outside the broadcast area or doesn't have access to SNY.

One important distinction: it's only available if you live outside the broadcast area of SNY. If you live in NY and have a cable provider that does not have SNY, you are still not eligible for that service (unless you use a VPN).

Reaction Score
One important distinction: it's only available if you live outside the broadcast area of SNY. If you live in NY and have a cable provider that does not have SNY, you are still not eligible for that service (unless you use a VPN).
Be careful with a VPN. I'm in FL and Hulu wouldn't get me my stations even with a VPN...there are other ways they track your actual location. VPN still provides security, but is not a lock for out of market games.

Reaction Score

I had a hilarious disaster of a time one year I lived in Pomfret, this was before Charter/Spectrum had SNY, so I got the MLB package and it blacked out the Mets even though the company didn't carry them - but they had the option to and hadn't done it yet.

Reaction Score
Get your sports here. Acme Streamz is the place. $99 a year for two TVs, every regional sport channel from the east to the west plus NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA and ESPN+. Yes it has NESN, SNY, YES and MSG. You download the app to Amazon Firestick, you do need the 4K version and your up and running within 30 minutes. I set a friend up yesterday, start to finish. Go to acmestreamz.com and see whats there. O yeah, every movie premium channel also including Sky TV from the UK. I'm in SW FL and I also hooked up my daughter in CT. I just have Frontier internet here, upgraded to 500 mb.

Reaction Score
I'd like to get some more information about that.. Seems sketchy, and not user friendly if it can only be accessed thru a bootleg Fire Stick app?

Reaction Score
Get your sports here. Acme Streamz is the place. $99 a year for two TVs, every regional sport channel from the east to the west plus NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA and ESPN+. Yes it has NESN, SNY, YES and MSG. You download the app to Amazon Firestick, you do need the 4K version and your up and running within 30 minutes. I set a friend up yesterday, start to finish. Go to acmestreamz.com and see whats there. O yeah, every movie premium channel also including Sky TV from the UK. I'm in SW FL and I also hooked up my daughter in CT. I just have Frontier internet here, upgraded to 500 mb.
Sounds too good to be true....

Reaction Score
It's clearly an illegal off-shore provider. There is no way to offer such a service at that price and comply with copyright restrictions. I'm not happy with the prices for some content, but I draw the line at stealing. If you are comfortable doing so then there are many such services out there.

Reaction Score
I cut Youtube TV since there are no other sports besides soccer on now. I have Sling Blue package. I will see the EPL and my Liverpool team win their first Premier League title in 30 years(It wasn't even called that then) and the other soccer is on FS1. So I'm covered until Uconn basketball starts in the fall. I will probably pick up Youtube TV again when the time comes. This is the great flexibility with streaming. You aren't tied into a long term bad contract.

Reaction Score
Interesting link on being reimbursed for sports channels where there are no sports to be broadcast.
I think I should be at least partially reimbursed but looks like no luck for me.

sports-tv-refund/

Reaction Score
OK, Acme Streamz is perfectly legal. Also check out their facebook page, used for support and advise, Also it is user friendly through the firestick controller. You can use a free trial to check it out or one of the monthly package, one month $10. I been on it for over a year now and I will never go back.

It is true and it is good.

Reaction Score
OK, Acme Streamz is perfectly legal. Also check out their facebook page, used for support and advise, Also it is user friendly through the firestick controller. You can use a free trial to check it out or one of the monthly package, one month $10. I been on it for over a year now and I will never go back.

It is true and it is good.
How do you know it is perfectly legal? Their website doesn't even have a legal notices page describing the licensing and copyright limitations common to all content. Do you really believe that all of those channels have licensed their content for such a low price that they can offer it to subscribers for $99 per year? That's roughly the per user cost of ESPN's channels alone. Meanwhile their servers are situated in Malaysia. A service that wanted to legally deliver the best quality content to U.S. subscribers would at least have cache servers situated in the United States to make sure the most heavily watched content is delivered close to the users. There's a reason legal networks (even IP networks) cost more - a combination of licensing fees and building out infrastructure to meet QoS demand.

There are legal questions whether receiving unlicensed copyrighted transmissions is, in itself, a crime, but the act of transmitting unlicensed copyrighted content is illegal. There is no question that these providers are taking copyrighted content illegally and redistributing it.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Another thing you may not know about cutting the cord if you haven't done it yet - you don't have to worry about adding time to the end of a live event. The playback gives you the entire event by default. I can't imagine going back to cable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom