Cord Cutters | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOLZ. Love these threads.

@whaler11

How great is the new ESPN3 integration? Had like 30 different options for
Clemson/Bama.

In all seriousness streaming sports sucks. I had to sign up for a Fubo trial to watch Red Zone at the in-laws and you are 2-3 minutes behind. Everything spoiled by twitter, texts and score apps.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If you want to watch sports legally, cable is still the way to go imo. After you get all the services you need to watch live sports it's the same price as cable or close enough to it that the convenience factor is worth it

I pay right around $100 a month for internet and PS Vue and get all of my sports channels. If you can find me a Comcast package that costs anywhere near that AND gets all the ESPN channels and SNY, I'd be happy to switch over, but when I cancelled Comcast last year I was paying close to $220 a month and they said they could only lower my bill by about $15 at the most if I wanted to keep SNY.

I can live with being about 15 seconds behind the live feed to save $100+ a month. It sucks at times getting spoiled on twitter, but I just stay off of twitter until commercials.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If you want to watch sports legally, cable is still the way to go imo. After you get all the services you need to watch live sports it's the same price as cable or close enough to it that the convenience factor is worth it

Discalimer: I'm a YouTube TV fan boy.

Fios Internet + Youtube TV is $90. Most TV+Internet packages are going to be more than that, and offer less sports. Granted I'm only concerned with UConn/Giants/Yankees. The only thing I have to do is get an antenna which costs next to nothing for when Yankees are on WPIX.

Reaction Score
Discalimer: I'm a YouTube TV fan boy.

Fios Internet + Youtube TV is $90. Most TV+Internet packages are going to be more than that, and offer less sports. Granted I'm only concerned with UConn/Giants/Yankees. The only thing I have to do is get an antenna which costs next to nothing for when Yankees are on WPIX.
I haven't really checked out YouTube tv since it launched. I guess I could give it another look, but I pay $160/mo for charter cable and internet right now. If I wanted to have internet, YouTube TV, HBO go and one of prime/Netflix/Hulu it would be around $140ish. The $20/mo is worth it for the quality and ease of use.

GemParty

Reaction Score
I haven't really checked out YouTube tv since it launched. I guess I could give it another look, but I pay $160/mo for charter cable and internet right now. If I wanted to have internet, YouTube TV, HBO go and one of prime/Netflix/Hulu it would be around $140ish. The $20/mo is worth it for the quality and ease of use.

Your doing well. Most of us are tired of like $230 a month with a cable bundle. Phone, Internet, tv. So 150 looks appealing.

Reaction Score
Cut the cord within the last 2 months. Have the 'highest' speed cable will offer me, 32 channel modem (owned so we don't have to pay the silly fee), tplink router, netflix (family shared so $0), prime video (included with membership), and hulu live TV. Hulu live TV is great. i get every channel to watch any college bball game i can think of. My only pet peeve is that Hulu live tv FORCES you to watch commercials even if you record, or pause live TV. Super annoying. But as soon as basketball season ends i reckon we'll try some of the other providers (youtube tv, sling, fubotv, etc.).

Reaction Score
My family and I have been trying them out. I've used YouTubeTV, sling, and HuluTV. YouTube TV has had every UConn game where as sling only had the Nova game, and Hulu has had none (it may have had the Nova game but I had already cancelled the service)

Reaction Score
Your doing well. Most of us are tired of like $230 a month with a cable bundle. Phone, Internet, tv. So 150 looks appealing.
Yeah I'm due for a rate increase soon so after that happens I may have to re-evaluate it. My parents pay about $230 as well and theyre just a town over. I'm in a condo and I think there is a decreased rate because of the level of competition between the providers.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Where do you live that you get MSG. My current issue is that if I have Directv I get the NFL package to watch the Cowboys but then I also have to pay for the NBA package since I'm out of market for NY Knicks.

If I'm on Comcast (which is cheaper when bundled with my existing Comcast internet), ALL Knicks games are blacked out on MSG unless they play on ESPN/TNT and then I'm not getting the out of market NFL games.

I'm in Hartford which is apparently the Bermuda triangle when it comes to sports. Can't get MSG and I'm forced into the Boston market with NESN even though I have zero use for it.

I'd say your biggest issue in that scenario is the want to follow the Cowboys and/or Knicks. ;)

GemParty

Reaction Score
Who’s got some good CT high speed internet prices for unlimited, no overages. Company & cost please.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I bought the Roku Ultra for around $90 last spring and I love it. Performance wise, my stream never drops or lags and I find it to be a lot less clutter than having multiple cable boxes and wires through the apt/house.

I also find the user interface to be much more user friendly than any cable company that I've used before. I set UConn, Giants to season pass mode and it has a smart DVR, meaning it stops recording once the game is over; not when the program or additional time set runs out. I also like how when I turn it on first few boxes I see are preview windows of the channels I watch most.

One last nugget before I end my rambling, if you live by yourself, you can split a YouTube TV membership with a buddy who lives elsewhere and both have your own individual YouTube TV accounts (for DVR/preferences purposes). Two people can be logged under the same membership at once without any issue. So brings you down to $20/month.

Reaction Score
Also, since I've grown accustomed to the feature and basically watch everything off of DVR so I'm not forced to schedule everything around watching something live, is there a DVR option/workaround when it comes to cord cutting?
Sling has a decent sports package, but no CBSSN. Has YES but no SNY and you can DVR. The sports and DVR packages add about $15/month i think.

Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?
I have Fubo for MSG/SNY/YES and then order Sling just for the NCAA season to watch NCAA and then cancel it once the tournament starts. They have the app to watch for iPad and then I also have it hooked up to Roku. Nothing but satisfaction with it.

GemParty

Reaction Score
I bought the Roku Ultra for around $90 last spring and I love it. Performance wise, my stream never drops or lags and I find it to be a lot less clutter than having multiple cable boxes and wires through the apt/house.

I also find the user interface to be much more user friendly than any cable company that I've used before. I set UConn, Giants to season pass mode and it has a smart DVR, meaning it stops recording once the game is over; not when the program or additional time set runs out. I also like how when I turn it on first few boxes I see are preview windows of the channels I watch most.

One last nugget before I end my rambling, if you live by yourself, you can split a YouTube TV membership with a buddy who lives elsewhere and both have your own individual YouTube TV accounts (for DVR/preferences purposes). Two people can be logged under the same membership at once without any issue. So brings you down to $20/month.

Am I correct in thinking u need a Roku player for every tv in the house that u want to watch Youtube tv on? For example living room & a recroom?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Am I correct in thinking u need a Roku player for every tv in the house that u want to watch Youtube tv on? For example living room & a recroom?

Yes - I believe that to be the case. I only splurged and spend the $90 because I only needed one.

Other companies / models have cheaper alternatives though.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Do you have a Samsung or LG smart TV? There may be an app directly from the unit.

Reaction Score
My family and I have been trying them out. I've used YouTubeTV, sling, and HuluTV. YouTube TV has had every UConn game where as sling only had the Nova game, and Hulu has had none (it may have had the Nova game but I had already cancelled the service)

? I have HuluTV and I think it's had every game. It has ESPN3, so the breadth of games to watch on any given night (or Saturday during the football season) is outstanding.

The downside, as someone mentioned, is the DVR feature. The fact you can't skip commercials means that if you're recording a game you can't start watching a few minutes late (it makes you start at the beginning) or pause and catch up. That's a real pain. I think you can pay more for a better DVR, but it's substantial - $15-20 extra a month.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Do you have a Samsung or LG smart TV? There may be an app directly from the unit.
It’s a Samsung tv but older. Not a smart tv. Only got Netflix, when we realized out newer Blu Ray has it on the remote.

Reaction Score
Doesn't have to a Roku. It can be a chromecast for example. Most Smart TVs have it built in (my Vizio TV has a YouTube TV app.)

I cancelled cable about a year ago and have never looked back. $70 for 200mbps internet, and $40 for YouTube TV. I leach a Netflix account, and Amazon Prime I was paying for when I had cable anyways, so that's not an additive cost. My cable bill was $180 a month. Now I'm paying $110 and not missing a thing (plus the unlimited cloud DVR on YouTube is awesome.)

Reaction Score
Doesn't have to a Roku. It can be a chromecast for example. Most Smart TVs have it built in (my Vizio TV has a YouTube TV app.)

I cancelled cable about a year ago and have never looked back. $70 for 200mbps internet, and $40 for YouTube TV. I leach a Netflix account, and Amazon Prime I was paying for when I had cable anyways, so that's not an additive cost. My cable bill was $180 a month. Now I'm paying $110 and not missing a thing (plus the unlimited cloud DVR on YouTube is awesome.)

Thats interesting. I know I wasn't able to watch any games during my Hulu Trial. I'm not sure what the criteria are. Its funny, tonight is the first time I can watch UConn vs SMU on slingtv , but it doesn't matter because I'll be at the game

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
With all the cord cutters, why can’t cable be more competitive so people aren’t compelled to switch?

I did the math last fall and switched from Fios to Comcast. Cord cutting was going to cost me more. I pay $155 for fast internet, cable and phone. It came with free Netflix for 2 years so I cancelled that. It came with Starz, which I was also paying for. I pay for Prime which is a no brainer. I pay for the low end Hulu because my daughter wanted it for something. Just added HBO to Prime again.

I use Amazon Fire Sticks and my Xbox One S for streaming. The Comcast cable box actually has Netflix, Amazon and YouTube built in. Works very well with the voice activated remote, especially with ESPN3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom