Cord Cutters | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
I have Roku and playstation vue ...live in texas. Have yet to miss out on a live UConn game in 2 years (includes CBSSN thankfully)

YES or NESN however, I have never been able to get, but only because I'm not in the New England area - I'm pretty sure playstation vue has those channels for Mass, CT, RI, NH, Maine, VT

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
As a Comcast subscriber, I have access to NESNgo, which is their online streaming app. A quick run through their FAQ, and I think I saw that NESNgo is available through YouTube TV and PSVue. I believe SNY might be available through the NBC stream. I don't care know about the YES Network.

GemParty

Reaction Score
I have Roku and playstation vue ...live in texas. Have yet to miss out on a live UConn game in 2 years (includes CBSSN thankfully)

YES or NESN however, I have never been able to get, but only because I'm not in the New England area - I'm pretty sure playstation vue has those channels for Mass, CT, RI, NH, Maine, VT

Wasn’t planning on buying a game system. Any other options? I suppose I could go get wings & hit the pub for a few games I’m not attending. Baseball would be tough though.

GemParty

Reaction Score
A big question I have is streaming Data usage. Who wants to go thru all this & get buffering. Must you have unlimited super fast internet.?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Wasn’t planning on buying a game system. Any other options? I suppose I could go get wings & hit the pub for a few games I’m not attending. Baseball would be tough though.
Playstation VUE is available thru an app - you don't need a playstation.

I thought SNY was now on YouTube TV??

GemParty

Reaction Score
Playstation VUE is available thru an app - you don't need a playstation.

I thought SNY was now on YouTube TV??

Oh thanks. I might be viewing an old list. Had no idea theses a app for Vue.

Reaction Score
PlayStation vue is a live tv app (similar to Sling or YouTube TV)...you can download it directly on the Roku

Reaction Score
A big question I have is streaming Data usage. Who wants to go thru all this & get buffering. Must you have unlimited super fast internet.?

Fast internet is obviously great, but buffering isn't that bad with lower speed internet. My in-laws are able to stream YouTubeTV with a speed of about 3Mbps. It does buffer at that speed, but not terrible if no one else is using it at that time. I did notice that DirecTV NOW has a worse time of buffering even at fast internet speeds

GemParty

Reaction Score
You can't get SNY if you're outside the New York greater metro with YouTube TV, though.

You need to spoof your location to get it to work.

Are CT people in greater Hartford getting it?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We use a Roku, Netflix, Amazon Prime and You Tube TV. We had Sling TV for about two years but You Tube TV has a much better sports package. Also, You Tube TV has local ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX channels so you don't have to buy a separate Over The Air antenna.

Before cutting the cord we were $220+ for cable and internet at our home (I live in Florida and have Cox Cable).

Now, we pay $80 for internet (including all the taxes and fees), $Netflix (Not sure, think it's like $10/mo), Amazon Prime which we already had and $40 for You Tube TV. Save $40-$50 but get the streaming and ability to use any mobile device at any time.

You will want to verify what speeds your internet provider has and if they have any usage overages.

As far as speed and buffering, I bought a new dual channel (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) router for $150 at Christmas. I was looking at some of those $400 home internet networks and salesman told me if the devices are getting a signal but it sometimes buffers those wifi extenders aren't worth it.

It is very common in my home for son to have Xbox and laptop running, daughter having laptop and Roku going, wife on Roku and me using something and we don't have any other problems.

We used to use a Amazon Fire TV stick but I switched over to Roku and find it to be better interfacing.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Now, we pay $80 for internet (including all the taxes and fees), $Netflix (Not sure, think it's like $10/mo), Amazon Prime which we already had and $40 for You Tube TV. Save $40-$50 but get the streaming and ability to use any mobile device at any time.

Prime has a real cost to it though. My wife and I are "parasite" Prime members, latched on to my Sister in law's "host" account (they are allowed 4, if memory serves). We pay my Sister in law $25 a year to cover our portion, but satellite Prime members do not have access to Prime TV. At least we didn't last time I tried.

If you want to watch sports legally, cable is still the way to go imo. After you get all the services you need to watch live sports it's the same price as cable or close enough to it that the convenience factor is worth it
I'm unaware of a convenient method to record internet streams either. I rely on my DVR far too much.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Enter your zip code here... i believe yes.
YouTube TV - Watch & DVR Live Sports, Shows & News

Edit: I don't have YouTube TV but when I do cut the cord this is the service I'm getting. I think the only thing it's lacking is the Nick/MTV/VH1 viacom properties

Problem solved. Newington gets SNY & NESN with the zip search. Those other stations might be on Philos $16 a month.

Reaction Score
I have fubo. I don't get channel 8 or ESPN but I do get NESN, SNY, YES & MSG. It's $45/mo no taxes.

Where do you live that you get MSG. My current issue is that if I have Directv I get the NFL package to watch the Cowboys but then I also have to pay for the NBA package since I'm out of market for NY Knicks.

If I'm on Comcast (which is cheaper when bundled with my existing Comcast internet), ALL Knicks games are blacked out on MSG unless they play on ESPN/TNT and then I'm not getting the out of market NFL games.

I'm in Hartford which is apparently the Bermuda triangle when it comes to sports. Can't get MSG and I'm forced into the Boston market with NESN even though I have zero use for it.

Reaction Score
Also, since I've grown accustomed to the feature and basically watch everything off of DVR so I'm not forced to schedule everything around watching something live, is there a DVR option/workaround when it comes to cord cutting?

Reaction Score
Also, since I've grown accustomed to the feature and basically watch everything off of DVR so I'm not forced to schedule everything around watching something live, is there a DVR option/workaround when it comes to cord cutting?
I know with youtube tv you can record upcoming broadcasts. I've done it before for multiple games, shows, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom