Coombs out with injury for remainder of season | The Boneyard

Coombs out with injury for remainder of season

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Unfortunate news via UConn...hope she gets to travel

STORRS, Conn. –
UConn women’s basketball freshman guard Mikayla Coombs will miss the remainder of the 2017-18 season and is being treated for deep vein thrombosis.

The Buford, Ga., native had seen time in 25 games and was averaging 1.1 points per game with 17 steals. Coombs was the 2017 Georgia Gatorade Player of the Year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
DVT? Yikes! Too many flights? Best wishes, Mikayla!

Reaction Score
Very few of these seen in young athletes. Wonder if it was bang/bruise induced at practice.
I have three nieces on D1 basketball scholarships and none report the consistent number of stress fractures and related ankle/foot/etc. issues of UConn. Not saying that the fitness regime is good or bad-just curious if there is any factual info regarding topic.

Reaction Score
Darn, hope the best for her - and that she comes back this fall fully healthy and hearty.

I was liking her poise in the way she handled the ball, and moving without the ball.

Didn't get to see her shoot much, but my sense was there is some definite strong upside with her. :)

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
..... and none report the consistent number of stress fractures and related ankle/foot/etc. issues of UConn....

Totally NOT true.

Two such "issues" for UCONN this year. KLS aggravated a previous ankle injury and Crystal Dangerfield has a stress fracture that is being managed. BOTH are healthy and playing their regular minutes.

You were probably thinking of Notre Dame, Duke, South Carolina, Iowa, Arizona, Baylor or you made a careless assumption that UCONN must be the leader in the leg injury department as well as every other category

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just awful news for Mikayla. I was hoping that Coombs would be available in a pinch for a few minutes off the bench, but that’s the least of my concerns. DVT is a potentially life threatening condition if not properly treated and, as others have pointed out, very unusual to see in a young, superbly conditioned athlete.

Last edited:
Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
Get well soon Mikayla. All Boneyarders are pulling for you.

And now the silver linings.

1. Geno likes a 11 member team (so I heard some time ago).
2. It is time for Lexi Gordon to step up (where?)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow, unexpected. I'm glad it was caught before the clot dislodged. Reminds me a bit of A.J. Price and his AVM. Scary stuff.

Reaction Score
Man, this young lady has been snake bit. Truly wish her the best of luck and there should be no reason she can't bounce back.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Caring vibes and a wish for a full and fast recovery coming at ‘ya Mikayla.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
WOW - a serious condition regardless of age. All the best to Mikayla.

Reaction Score
She was my pick to take kia's spot next season so i hope she can fully recover from this setback.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This can be very serious no matter the age of the person. Fortunately it was caught and will be treated. I remember when Serena Williams had a blood clot after cutting her foot and how she returned a champion after treatment. I also remember Quincy Jones and his many aneurysms when they weren't caught early. Only good thoughts from the BY are going out to this young lady. Come back strong next year tough girl.

Reaction Score
I have three nieces on D1 basketball scholarships and none report the consistent number of stress fractures and related ankle/foot/etc. issues of UConn. Not saying that the fitness regime is good or bad-just curious if there is any factual info regarding topic.
What ankle/foot issues? You mean Lou who has a chronic condition dating back to high school?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom