Cool story - how I may get tickets to the game at Stanford | The Boneyard

Cool story - how I may get tickets to the game at Stanford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As you know from a prior thread (or don't know because you never read it), I am flying out to CA for the game with Stanford as well as visit my son. I had heard from other posters that it is very difficult to get tickets to the game at the Maples Pavilion. I put my son on the case since he has many Stanford friends to see what he could do. But he struck out with that path. Apparently women's single game tickets are difficult to get. So, my resourceful son started checking to see if anyone had contacts with the Stanford Athletic Department. Still had no luck.

I got a text from my son last night at 12:41 ET (I was sleeping). All he said was "Alright, the Stanford qb is getting us two tickets to the UConn game so we should be all set". I'm like...WHAT????

He told me today how that happened. For background...He is leaving his current job to join a new start up company as essentially the CTO (at 22!). He signed his employment contract the other day and describes the enterprise as "a small American company contracted by a Cayman holding company to build software for a Mexican company". But all under the same company umbrella. (I asked if the attorney who put the whole thing together is named Saul Goodman. Only some of you will get that reference!) I am still not convinced this business is not a money laundering scheme for the Mexican drug cartel, but my son assures me it is all legit.

I digress...

Anyway, the new business is just getting off the ground. They have a contact who has family in Mexico and is the driving force behind getting my son's new company access to what they need in Mexico. So my son went to a sports bar last night to meet with Alvaro and provide the list of things that was needed when Alvaro goes to Mexico today.

Once business was done, my son, the liaison and his roommate ordered some wings and my son then asked Alvaro if he had any contacts in the Stanford athletic department. At that point, the roommate chuckled and raised his hand and said he was the starting quarterback for Stanford, so yes, he had contacts! And then he thanked my son and told him it was humbling and relieving to be at the only sports bar two blocks from Stanford's campus and meet someone who had no idea who he was.

Whether Hogan actually comes through with the tickets remains to be seen, but Alvaro told my son he would keep after him to make sure he follows through.

Such a serendipitous meeting. Sometimes life can be truly surprising!

Reaction Score
Super story. And Hogan's hometown is McLean, VA where I live now.

Reaction Score
I know I am early on this..... but if anyone has 2 tickets to this game at Maples, I will be in SF area and am looking to attend! Thanks very much anyone with extras.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am still not convinced this business is not a money laundering scheme for the Mexican drug cartel, but my son assures me it is all legit.

Lol. Well we all were thinking it. Might as well point the elephant in the room.

I wish him all the best. Great to be 22 and starting off on your career.

Enjoy the game!

Reaction Score
Living out here in CA, although far south of Palo Alto, I have gone to the last two Husky games at Maples. I had no trouble buying tickets through the Stanford website, although my seats were never very good (behind the basket, pretty high up, both times!) It is a great place to see a game, the Stanford campus is gorgeous, leave yourself time to look around!!! Stanford fans are knowledgeable and pretty friendly and polite considering the on-the-court rivalry! It appears that single game tickets are not on sale yet, I will try as soon as I notice them on sale. If your contact doesn't come through you could probably get them online. Good luck, maybe we will meet at this game?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom