Contradictory Strategies | The Boneyard

Contradictory Strategies

Reaction Score
I’m reading 2 recommendations here repeatedly during the recent losses:

1. Get the guards to attack the rim more;
2. Play Sanogo and Clingan together.

In order to accomplish #1, the middle is going to have to be opened up even more than it already is. But if #2 is implemented, the middle will become even more congested than it already is. Not just with our bigs but with their defenders as well. I don’t see how you can have it both ways.

Reaction Score
1. AJax should run the point. He is a good facilitator and maybe he will be willing to attack the rim more. Play TN as the 2. He is a threat from outside .
2. The game has changed. AS is NOT a stretch 4. This is what he really needs to work on to be successful at the next level.
DC is a true center. In terms of big east play, Xavier is the only team I would consider playing them together in stretches.

Reaction Score
1. AJax should run the point. He is a good facilitator and maybe he will be willing to attack the rim more. Play TN as the 2. He is a threat from outside .
AJ already effectively runs the point. What games are everyone watching that keep asking for this “change”

Reaction Score
AS rarely seals his defender to allow for an open lane to the hoop.. In fact.. He frequently brings his defender into the middle --and adds to the congestion--in the hopes of receiving a pass/dump off.. Good offensive teams work on spacing in the lane for their guards/slashers to do their thing.. IMO..This is one reason why you don't see Jackson attacking the hoop more.. Always congested.

AS is not a 4

Reaction Score
AJ already effectively runs the point. What games are everyone watching that keep asking for this “change”
Not true. They share the point guard position but it seems to me that Newton runs it more than Jackson. He's usually the one bringing the ball up off of scores and initiating offense. I would like to see Jackson running point and Newton off the ball always looking to score. It's a more natural fit for their abilities.

Reaction Score
I’m reading 2 recommendations here repeatedly during the recent losses:

1. Get the guards to attack the rim more;
2. Play Sanogo and Clingan together.

In order to accomplish #1, the middle is going to have to be opened up even more than it already is. But if #2 is implemented, the middle will become even more congested than it already is. Not just with our bigs but with their defenders as well. I don’t see how you can have it both ways.
I don’t think #1 can happen magically like flipping a switch with existing line up of guards and they are who they are. We’ve seen enough with about 20 games into the season.

But we can certainly try #2. It does not hurt. When something is not working, try something else.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
AS rarely seals his defender to allow for an open lane to the hoop.. In fact.. He frequently brings his defender into the middle --and adds to the congestion--in the hopes of receiving a pass/dump off.. Good offensive teams work on spacing in the lane for their guards/slashers to do their thing.. IMO..This is one reason why you don't see Jackson attacking the hoop more.. Always congested.

AS is not a 4
it’s a pure speculation on your part. How is 4 supposed to play? He is out there shooting 3s, given opps.

Reaction Score
it’s a pure speculation on your part. How is 4 supposed to play? He is out there shooting 3s, given opps.
The speculation is that DC/AS should be playing together as mentioned in the OP.. And there are other OPs on the Yard stating the same. It is my opinion that AS would not be an effective 4.. Karaban and other lineup combinations are a better fit.. AS would not be able to guard athletic 4s

Reaction Score
The speculation is that DC/AS should be playing together as mentioned in the OP.. And there are other OPs on the Yard stating the same. It is my opinion that AS would not be an effective 4.. Karaban and other lineup combinations are a better fit.. AS would not be able to guard athletic 4s

No sir. OP outlined two adjustments in the offense strategy, not speculations.

You on the other hand, doled out the statement that “AS would not be able to guard athletic 4”. That is what you think because it has not happened yet for he never played at 4. But we all know now Alex K won’t be able to guard athletic 4, that’s a fact.

Reaction Score
I don’t think #1 can happen magically like flipping a switch with existing line up of guards and they are who they are. We’ve seen enough with about 20 games into the season.

But we can certainly try #2. It does not hurt. When something is not working, try something else.

I agree with your first point.

Trying #2 can certainly hurt. This team is 15-3, not 3-15. That’s not a team for whom things are not working. Making a radical change such as #2 can be very disruptive to what has been built. Beating ranked teams on the road is very difficult for anyone. Losing those games does not mean things are not working.

In both the Xavier and Providence games, we shot 50% +/- from the FT line and our opponents shot 80+%. Both were aberrations from season norms. If FT shooting us normal in those 2 games, both are 4 point games instead of 10-12 point games. The Marquette loss was a 6 point game All on the road. Those results are not the basis for trying to reconstruct the team.

Reaction Score

You on the other hand, doled out the statement that “AS would not be able to guard athletic 4”. That is what you think because it has not happened yet for he never played at 4. But we all know now Alex K won’t be able to guard athletic 4, that’s a fact.

Your claim about AK is not a fact.

Reaction Score

A little confused about where you're coming from.. I agree with @Billy Jack's comments in post#1.. "Liked' it..
The guards have shown over the course of the season.. perhaps not recently.. That they can get to the rim and have the talent to do so when opportunities present themselves.. For the last month--On the Yard-- There has been lively debate.. for and against.. Of playing AS/DC together.. Clingan's excellent freshman year and his progress have certainly influenced that thinking.

I am in agreement with BJ's response to Point#2..Spacing would be a major issue with those two on the floor for any extended period of time and would have a major detrimental impact on guards getting to the rim because of the congestion in the paint that they (and their defenders) would bring to the lane.

Over three years it has become apparent that when AS is isolated outside of the paint and/or around the three point line.. His lack of foot speed is quickly exposed and exploited by the opposing teams by their athletic 4s and 5s.. Not debatable.

Until or if Samson returns and depending upon the foul situation on Karaban.. AK is our best defensive solution at the 4. Other lineup combinations are a second resort dictated by game conditions. Karaban's coach continues to start him at the 4 because he's doing an excellent job.. That's a fact.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Your claim about AK is not a fact.
I think it is. AK has a tough time on the defensive end when going against older and physically stronger players. They go at him like the freshman that he is, and they should. When he puts on some more lbs and muscle, and gains more experience, that will stop. He will get there,.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think it is. AK has a tough time on the defensive end when going against older and physically stronger players. They go at him like the freshman that he is, and they should. When he puts on some more lbs and muscle, and gains more experience, that will stop. He will get there,.
Right now AK is the best solution at the 4. Samson, in his limited play has been a foul machine plus he won’t have any stamina. AS cannot cover 4 and 5 that are active and have fast feet. We’ve seen that movie way too many times.
As far as guards driving the lane, you’ve got to get AS and his opponent out of the lane - it’s been a parking lot for them
More motion by the UConn offense the more alleys you see. Also, whoever the PG is du jour, they have to take the ball and run it up the court. UConn plays best when their feet are moving.

Reaction Score
I agree with your first point.

Trying #2 can certainly hurt. This team is 15-3, not 3-15. That’s not a team for whom things are not working. Making a radical change such as #2 can be very disruptive to what has been built.
That can be a sign of dehydration.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Right now AK is the best solution at the 4. Samson, in his limited play has been a foul machine plus he won’t have any stamina. AS cannot cover 4 and 5 that are active and have fast feet. We’ve seen that movie way too many times.
As far as guards driving the lane, you’ve got to get AS and his opponent out of the lane - it’s been a parking lot for them
More motion by the UConn offense the more alleys you see. Also, whoever the PG is du jour, they have to take the ball and run it up the court. UConn plays best when their feet are moving.
Good points. I just think our sample size on Samson is too small right now to make judgements on his game.

Reaction Score
It’s funny to see people talk about spacing with Adama and DC in the game together. No one goes to the hole except Tristan anyway and he passes it too much when he does so why not a couple outlets? AJ passes it 98% of the time as well. This isn’t about being worried about the other end it’s about getting the other coach to worry about how they will stop our 2 bigs. I mean versus Xavier, Providence and Marquette our defense was awful anyway you have to try something else it can’t hurt. Shaka would’ve had to bring in another big which would eliminate one of the athletes who were ripping us up on the other end. Go 2-1-2 and make them shoot it from the perimeter if they make a few then you need to drop the idea, if they don’t it’s better than backing us in and scoring all day. There is absolutely no reason not to throw them in together with 3 shooters or at least AJ/Hawk with Joey and Alleyne/Tristan.

Reaction Score
It’s funny to see people talk about spacing with Adama and DC in the game together. No one goes to the hole except Tristan anyway and he passes it too much when he does so why not a couple outlets? AJ passes it 98% of the time as well. This isn’t about being worried about the other end it’s about getting the other coach to worry about how they will stop our 2 bigs. I mean versus Xavier, Providence and Marquette our defense was awful anyway you have to try something else it can’t hurt. Shaka would’ve had to bring in another big which would eliminate one of the athletes who were ripping us up on the other end. Go 2-1-2 and make them shoot it from the perimeter if they make a few then you need to drop the idea, if they don’t it’s better than backing us in and scoring all day. There is absolutely no reason not to throw them in together with 3 shooters or at least AJ/Hawk with Joey and Alleyne/Tristan.
Our coaches certainly try other combinations, why not this????? Give it a 5-minute run in each half.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Why are 1 and 2 mutually exclusive? You can run different schemes during the course of the game. In fact, being so predictable is one of the Huskies problems. I'm not taking a stance on either choice just pointing out you can do a lot of things in 40 minutes.

IMO the more styles of play we can excel at, the better. It's part of what makes swapping AS and DC so effective - it's not just that they are both good but that they play a completely different game and that can throw off their opponents.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom