Consecutive "Final Fours" | The Boneyard

Consecutive "Final Fours"

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
During this afternoon's Clemson vs Georgia Tech football game, the 2 broadcasters said that if you relate the CFB Playoffs to the CBB Final Four, then Dabo Sweeney is in rare territory because the record for consecutive years is 6, by Dabo and John Wooden!!!
Um, you might want to check the WBB Coach and Team from Storrs CT.
I was kinda surprised but then realized that it might be considered a normal thing seeing how it is just NCAA WBB.
BTW, the game was on ABC/ESPN.

Reaction Score
I don't see the problem. College football v College basketball...now if it was woman college football v woman college basketball well then...but it isn't.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, if you are going to mix apples and oranges, might as well pick the right apple.

On the other hand, with Clemson sitting on an empty runway to the Championship Tournament in the anemic ACC, would not take it to seriously anyway

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Well, if you are going to mix apples and oranges, might as well pick the right apple.

On the other hand, with Clemson sitting on an empty runway to the Championship Tournament in the anemic ACC, would not take it to seriously anyway
Was not the AAC WBB Conference pretty anemic as well?

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
But had you put them in any conference. It still would’ve been pretty anemic especially during Breanna Stewart’s time
The comment about Clemson referred to the last three seasons, since they have been really good.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Oh Donald, how can you even compare the corrupt world of D1 CFB that is owned and dictated by the P5. Why is it every other Division 1AA, 2 and 3 can have 16 team playoff to crown a true National Champion by beating 4 teams yet the current D1 grants only 4 teams the possibility so yes, win the Anemic ACC Title and get granted a bye into the Fab 4. Open up the D1 championship to 16 teams and see if Clemson could win those 1st 2 games to truly earn a final four.

Reaction Score
College Football needs to have at least a top 16 playoff! Take a week off and then play 4 weeks in a row. Or have 32 teams and don't take the week off. As for the Bowl Games just have the BG cover the playoffs with the higher paying bowls in the last couple weeks! CFB Final Four! The Championship would be earned just like MBB!

Reaction Score
College Football needs to have at least a top 16 playoff! Take a week off and then play 4 weeks in a row. Or have 32 teams and don't take the week off. As for the Bowl Games just have the BG cover the playoffs with the higher paying bowls in the last couple weeks! CFB Final Four! The Championship would be earned just like MBB!

I disagree. If the goal is to crown a true champion, then only teams that have a legitimate chance of winning the title should play in the college football tournament. In that case eight teams would be the perfect number. On any given year there are eight teams that can legitimately consider themselves a contender for the national title. Any more than that and the field is just to watered down The first round would be a given, the equivalent of 16 versus one in men’s college basketball. There is the additional component of the physical wear and tear on the football players’ bodies compared to that of basketball, and therefore five additional games would Just be way too much.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I disagree. If the goal is to crown a true champion, then only teams that have a legitimate chance of winning the title should play in the college football tournament. In that case eight teams would be the perfect number. On any given year there are eight teams that can legitimately consider themselves a contender for the national title. Any more than that and the field is just to watered down The first round would be a given, the equivalent of 16 versus one in men’s college basketball. There is the additional component of the physical wear and tear on the football players’ bodies compared to that of basketball, and therefore five additional games would Just be way too much.
Why is 8 perfect when all 4 other divisions of CFB have 16 teams qualify?

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I don't see the problem. College football v College basketball...now if it was woman college football v woman college basketball well then...but it isn't.
Then why not include the North Dakota State Bison? 9 consecutive FFs...
But I am sorry that this thread swerved into a FBS thread. My original intent was just to point out again how broadcasters can cite John Wooden's records (and he has earned his accolades from over 40 years ago) but don't recognize WBB where the streak is twice as long and very recent.

Reaction Score
Because like most mainstream newcasters they do no research just regurgitate the little they know. As an aside Iowa won 9 NCAA titles in a row ....

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

The aac is a better football conference Than the rest of the acc outside of Clemson

Reaction Score
It's a lot better than having all those 6-6 teams making a bowl game! With what you stated I guess there's no parity in CFB and MCBB either!

Reaction Score

The AAC was not UConn's choice. Notre Dame and Louisville went to the ACC. The religious schools stayed in the Big East and kicked UConn out. Also, UConn beat most of the toughest opponents out-of-conference on their schedule.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
The AAC was not UConn's choice. Notre Dame and Louisville went to the ACC. The religious schools stayed in the Big East and kicked UConn out. Also, UConn beat most of the toughest opponents out-of-conference on their schedule.
What does this have to do with the post eebmg made? I was responding to his/her post. See above.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Yes. My point is that in CBB, you need to play 4 games to reach the FF and we try as hard as we can to have the strongest OOC schedule. Clemson seems to have found a pretty good niche. Go 11-0 playing a soft schedule (but just decent enough OOC to not be completely laughed at) and book the FF. No Biggie since they deserve to be there based on their playoff record

Reaction Score

Not exactly correct. When Pitt, Louis, N Dame & Rutgers left the BE it was decided that the BE would play football or else they would lose more teams. In response, the Catholic schools left the BE and formed their own basketball conference. The Big East was renamed the AAC since few of the teams were eastern and the Catholic schools bought the BE name for a few million. It's often erroneously stated that UConn left the BE when the truth is that UConn was practically the only longtime BE team that didn't leave the BE.

Reaction Score
It's a lot better than having all those 6-6 teams making a bowl game! With what you stated I guess there's no parity in CFB and MCBB either!
In men’s college basketball the record is 135-1 in the 16 verses one matchup. With the 2 seeds it is 132-8. (Not sure why the difference in total number of games.) You could argue that football has even less parity because it’s tougher to field a 125 person team than a 11 person team. I cannot remember the last time that there were more than eight teams in college football that had a legitimate chance of winning the national championship. Therefore, as I stated earlier, if your goal is to crown a legitimate champion why have more than eight teams? I have always felt that four was not enough, because there’s been many times that teams ranked fifth or sixth had a legitimate chance to win the title. A couple examples that come to mind was TCU and Baylor in 2014, and UCF in 2017. However past eight, none have a realistic chance. Also, due to scheduling differences it is sometimes difficult to determine who are the best four teams. I’m not saying anything about the parity, because obviously in all reality there is not parity at the upper echelon’s in the first round, but March madness is extremely unique, for reasons that we all understand, and there’s no reason to discuss at this time.As far as the bowl games, that is also unique because of the amount of sponsorship money that it brings to colleges, regardless of the records of the teams that are playing, or the empty stadiums for the games. Therefore, what I’m saying is that you’re bringing up unrelated topics. My personal stance is that if you want a legitimate champion in college football you should expand it to 8 teams. Almost every year there are at least five or six teams with a legitimate shot to win, but there is seldom more than eight, therefore, no reason to have a first round of watered down games.

Reaction Score
Then why not include the North Dakota State Bison? 9 consecutive FFs...
But I am sorry that this thread swerved into a FBS thread. My original intent was just to point out again how broadcasters can cite John Wooden's records (and he has earned his accolades from over 40 years ago) but don't recognize WBB where the streak is twice as long and very recent.
How about the Patriots 8 consecutive trips to the AFC Championship, the NFL's version of a FF???

Reaction Score
If you knew about the mens tournament. You would know it started with 32 teams. With your way of thinking UConn women should just be given a spot in the FF every year with Notre Dame and chose the other 2 teams! What about UConn Men when they won in 2011 and 2014 with your thinking they shouldn't have made the tournament.
All the Div.1 programs make for there schools nowadays and you don't think a 16 game playoff isn't justified. Maybe if more teams can be in the playoffs. Possibly the teams work harder for that spot.
How about High Sports in Connecticut. There are certain basketball programs that are the Top teams every year in their classes! Why is the CIAC letting 120 teams in the Tournament every year! Just let the Coaches chose the winners. Forget the tournaments because the players on those other teams stink! Stop wasting everyones time and money.
Out of all of College Sports there are today. Division 1 football is the biggest joke for a playoff! They might as well let the polls pick the Champion again!

Reaction Score
If you knew about the mens tournament. You would know it started with 32 teams. With your way of thinking UConn women should just be given a spot in the FF every year with Notre Dame and chose the other 2 teams! What about UConn Men when they won in 2011 and 2014 with your thinking they shouldn't have made the tournament.
All the Div.1 programs make for there schools nowadays and you don't think a 16 game playoff isn't justified. Maybe if more teams can be in the playoffs. Possibly the teams work harder for that spot.
How about High Sports in Connecticut. There are certain basketball programs that are the Top teams every year in their classes! Why is the CIAC letting 120 teams in the Tournament every year! Just let the Coaches chose the winners. Forget the tournaments because the players on those other teams stink! Stop wasting everyones time and money.
Out of all of College Sports there are today. Division 1 football is the biggest joke for a playoff! They might as well let the polls pick the Champion again!
Once again you are getting off on a tangent that has nothing to do with what I stated or even the topic. I am not even disagreeing that the CFA playoffs is a joke. What I said was that 8 is a good number. There is never anyone past that who has a legitimate chance to win. When you choose four, you are leaving out several who are deserving of a chance at the title. Everything else you stated is so far away from what I stated that it barely makes sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom