Connecticut Sun Let Go Mike Thibault and all assistants | The Boneyard

Connecticut Sun Let Go Mike Thibault and all assistants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“After much thought and consideration we have decided to make a coaching change with the hopes that this will allow us to achieve our ultimate goal of bringing a WNBA championship to Connecticut,” said team CEO Mitchell Etess. “We have the ultimate respect and appreciation for everything coach Thibault has done here, and he has played a huge part in establishing the Connecticut Sun as the model franchise in the league. However, our ultimate goal is the championship, and this change is made in with an eye to accomplishing just that.”

http://j.mp/Qs5Tor

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not surprised. Good coach, but ... didn't get them over the final hurdle after numerous chances with good players and good teams.

Reaction Score
Young team though; I thought he did one of his best coaching jobs last season. No sin in losing to the eventual champion (who seemed like destiny was on their side).

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Wonder who might be in the mix for the #1 job?
Got any realistic suggestions?

Reaction Score
I think this sucks. Having had the opportunity to watch Mike coach up close and to listen to him in the media room....the problem isn't with Mike...it's with the TEAM, who can't seem to push through that wall to get to the championships. The coach is passionate about winning...I just don't see that same passion on the part of everyone on the team.

That said, it's done. Too bad NY has already hired Laimbeer, maybe he's what this team needs to light their hair on fire.

Reaction Score
Geno, is that you, this is Sun CEO Etess, calling Geno...

Just say-n

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I think this sucks. Having had the opportunity to watch Mike coach up close and to listen to him in the media room....the problem isn't with Mike...it's with the TEAM, who can't seem to push through that wall to get to the championships. The coach is passionate about winning...I just don't see that same passion on the part of everyone on the team.

That said, it's done. Too bad NY has already hired Laimbeer, maybe he's what this team needs to light their hair on fire.
I don't know what this team needs, but I am curious as to whose hair needs to be on fire, in your opinion.

Reaction Score
It's not just one team that he was able to get as far as that last hurdle and no further, but two completely distinct and separate squads. When you get the same result from two squads where there is only one thing in common, it makes sense to look to that point of commonality as the cause.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO its a good decision and thought it should have been done last year. Getting Tina was his best GM move. However some of his other trades haven't worked out and some veteran players left that could have gotten the Sun to a title. Couldn't keep some of these veteran players happy and they wanted to leave. However, now we'll have to see who the Sun hire as both GM and/or coach. Got to make the right hiring decisions to make this firing pay off.

Reaction Score
No disrespect but that Griffin trade still confuses me to this day. Am I mistaken in thinking that a high draft pick was given up in that trade?

Reaction Score
OK. I have to believe that the Sun are considering Jen Rizzotti for the head coach job. She brings so many things to the position for the Sun, and this position would be perfect for her:

• Proven winner as both a player and a coach:
    • NCAA championship
    • WNBA Championships (2 with Houston)
    • USAA Basketball Championships
  • State Icon -- would bring instant state support and also a possible attendance draw
  • Familiarity with the Sun and its players. She was a commentator for the Sun last year
On her personal side, she has her whole family support system in Connecticut -- and she has been reluctant to move. This is one of the few local opportunities for her to move to a more visable coaching position and still keep her Connecticut roots.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The Sun need a small forward who can score. Love Kalana but she's not the answer.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
No disrespect but that Griffin trade still confuses me to this day. Am I mistaken in thinking that a high draft pick was given up in that trade?
Trade never made any sense to me. I think they got her for a first round pick.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Chris Sienko is officially the GM of the Sun, so technically I guess he was responsible for the trades the Sun made. However, IMHO Mike has been the public face of all the personnel moves the Sun has made. Perhaps Mike didn't agree with all the personnel decisions that were made. With that said, I still agree with the decision that the Sun made, its time to see if another coach can get them a WNBA title.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Chris Sienko is officially the GM of the Sun, so technically I guess he was responsible for the trades the Sun made. However, IMHO Mike has been the public face of all the personnel moves the Sun has made. Perhaps Mike didn't agree with all the personnel decisions that were made. With that said, I still agree with the decision that the Sun made, its time to see if another coach can get them a WNBA title.

Thibault was very open about wanting Kelsey Griffin and he worked out the deal that brought Griffin to the Sun. He spoke to Cheryl Reeve before the draft and the deal had the Lynx selecting Griffin #3 and then trading her to the Sun for its 1st and 2nd round picks in 2011.

Reaction Score
Meant to say "first round" instead of "#1". Edited my post accordingly.

OK that's make A LOT more sense. Still an interesting trade to say the least.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...Love Kalana...

- Me too! :)
-In fact, the only thing that interests me in the entire WNBA is the opportunity to see former UConn players play. What interests me in the Sun, in order: 1. They have massed the most UConn players on their team, 2. They adopted and represent the “Connecticut” name, 3. I like to root for the “home” team, even if it’s just in a professional league, 4. Last, but least, if they are competitive enough to do well in play-offs, that’s really nice too.
-Maybe its coincidence, but The Sun seem to be very perceptive to me in understanding those first three priorities may be important to some of their fans. I only know, as they add former UConn players, they really add to my interest, and if they lose any UConn players, they will certainly lose my interest accordingly, in a way not offset by winning a mere WNBA (?) championship. But that’s just me in NJ… and I have no idea if that is aligned with local fans in CT who really count.
-I’d like to see the Sun continue to rise in Connecticut, and hope above all else, it keeps brightening its unique ‘Connecticut’ aura.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The Rizzotti suggestion is intriguing and could actually be a serious possibility. It works from a lot of angles, especially as it would allow Jen to pad her resume for a future UConn vacancy without having to leave the state.

If she could win a WNBA championship in the next few years, that would make her the front runner to be Geno's successor.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Sorry to see Coach T go but I love that Sun management wants to put WINNING first. The easy way would have been to accept another good season and keep on keepin on.

I think that having Jen at the helm would put a few additional fannies in the seats (at least in the short term)... not many coaching selections would have that ability. I think the fans would LOVE her fire. She might also relate better to the players. I think there were signs that this was not always the case with Coach T (with Renee especially, but others too). She would need a WNBA-savvy asistant or two, I think... its a different world.

I wonder what Kara thinks (I bet she would LOVE Jen... two peas in a pod).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom