Connecticut Gyms | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Connecticut Gyms

Reaction Score
Gyms haven't opened up where I live - the issue of masks there is a real tough one. They're absolutely right to require masks when in the gym, walking around, and in close contact. However, it gets a bit dicey when lifting weights or doing intense cardio as the reduced airflow presents a level of risk.

Wondering if anyone here has found lifting or any other gym exercise while wearing a mask to be difficult. All of my workouts now are on a giant open field so it's easy to go there and not be within 50 feet of another person, thus a mask isn't necessary once I get there. But I'd love to get back in a gym here when it's safe.
I wore one today and found it to be a minor inconvenience but didn't significantly change my workout. I think it's reasonable to not wear one with the right circumstances but nobody today was doing anything to keep distance so I made the choice to do what I could

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I go 5-6 times a week to Big Sky in Newington. It’s sanitary and nice.

Reaction Score
Gyms haven't opened up where I live - the issue of masks there is a real tough one. They're absolutely right to require masks when in the gym, walking around, and in close contact. However, it gets a bit dicey when lifting weights or doing intense cardio as the reduced airflow presents a level of risk.

Wondering if anyone here has found lifting or any other gym exercise while wearing a mask to be difficult. All of my workouts now are on a giant open field so it's easy to go there and not be within 50 feet of another person, thus a mask isn't necessary once I get there. But I'd love to get back in a gym here when it's safe.
I found it really uncomfortable and I was breathing heavier than I ever remember in the gym and sweating through the mask. I'm guessing that was partly because I jumped right back into lifting pretty heavy after 3.5 months of not lifting heavy but the mask had something to do with it. Is there any sort of mask people are using that's good for exercising? I just have the cheap blue hospital masks.

Reaction Score
I found it really uncomfortable and I was breathing heavier than I ever remember in the gym and sweating through the mask. I'm guessing that was partly because I jumped right back into lifting pretty heavy after 3.5 months of not lifting heavy but the mask had something to do with it. Is there any sort of mask people are using that's good for exercising? I just have the cheap blue hospital masks.
I've been using a cloth mask. It's admittedly not as good as the N95 masks but I didn't find it to be too difficult working out with it and it'll stop the majority of the droplets in and out, especially if masks are used on most others

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Apart from wearing a mask, does anyone know if it is legitimately safe to go to gyms or is this yet to be determined. I've been keeping away but it seems as though so far no major breakouts have occurred as a result of the gyms being open.

Reaction Score
Apart from wearing a mask, does anyone know if it is legitimately safe to go to gyms or is this yet to be determined. I've been keeping away but it seems as though so far no major breakouts have occurred as a result of the gyms being open.
Like everything else with this virus I don't think anyone has a clue including the "experts." I thought gyms sounded like they would be about one of the biggest spreaders earlier in the pandemic when we thought the virus was all over surfaces and stayed there a while but that all seems to be refuted. I remember a long time ago I was wearing gloves while pushing my grocery cart and looked around the whole store and not a single person had on gloves including the few blue hairs.

If people were right next to each other breathing heavy on each other I would feel differently but with reduced capacity, people spread out, and wearing masks I don't really see any problem.

Reaction Score
If people were right next to each other breathing heavy on each other I would feel differently but with reduced capacity, people spread out, and wearing masks I don't really see any problem.
I think this is the big thing, I was able to keep my distance and get a workout in. But if I looked across the gym people were within 2 feet of each other everywhere. As long as there's no huge spikes it is what it is and everyone can be happy still

Reaction Score
Do they make you reserve a time before going? If so, how much of a hassle is that?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

I know some people pre-Covid who wore masks to ramp up anaerobic exercise

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Do they make you reserve a time before going? If so, how much of a hassle is that?
I think this would be the way to do it. Reserve X machine or space at X time. The town pools are opening with a similar idea

Reaction Score
Gyms aren't open in NC. Probably going to look into getting a home gym set up.

Reaction Score
I know some people pre-Covid who wore masks to ramp up anaerobic exercise
I own two fitness studios (Stamford and Norwalk), we’ve seen a surprisingly large amount of members ready to come back as soon as we opened. I would say 60% of our pre-Covid membership is back - still not the best for being profitable...

We’ve taken extreme measures though. No equipment sharing during classes, 12ft social distancing, no mask for members but the trainers wear masks, temperature check pre class, electro-static spraying of all equipment and surface areas between classes, and we also installed a new hvac system which “claims” it kills all airborne germs and viruses. Separate entrance and exits, UV lights, the list goes on...

However, taking these measures make the members feels comfortable and getting back into the gym is the best part of their day (and mine). The issue we are having is not enough spots in classes for the demand. We can only hold 15 people, when before Covid we were holding 30+...it’s a crazy time but we are making the best of it and fighting to keep business alive and providing value for our members!

Exercising is great for the immune system, mental health, and obviously we know the physical health benefits
I totally respect the 12 foot distancing you have implemented since with heavy breathing while not wearing a mask, droplets can expel more than 6 feet so your protocol seems considerate and safe. Heavy exercising and breathing your own CO2 into a mask and getting it recycled back does not sound like fun.

Sounds like the new hvac and sterilizers are great ideas.

Absent those safety procedures, I would not want to go back to my gym or any other gym. 6 feet distancing is not enough in an exercise environment without wearing a mask, but the mask makes exercise uncomfortable. And, germ killing machines make a lot of sense.

I wish you success with your safety measures and profitability with your businesses.

Reaction Score
I own two fitness studios (Stamford and Norwalk), we’ve seen a surprisingly large amount of members ready to come back as soon as we opened. I would say 60% of our pre-Covid membership is back - still not the best for being profitable...

We’ve taken extreme measures though. No equipment sharing during classes, 12ft social distancing, no mask for members but the trainers wear masks, temperature check pre class, electro-static spraying of all equipment and surface areas between classes, and we also installed a new hvac system which “claims” it kills all airborne germs and viruses. Separate entrance and exits, UV lights, the list goes on...

However, taking these measures make the members feels comfortable and getting back into the gym is the best part of their day (and mine). The issue we are having is not enough spots in classes for the demand. We can only hold 15 people, when before Covid we were holding 30+...it’s a crazy time but we are making the best of it and fighting to keep business alive and providing value for our members!

Exercising is great for the immune system, mental health, and obviously we know the physical health benefits
Sorry you were closed for so long and had to put so much money into it but people will remember what you did during this time and it can make your businesses stronger in the future. Good luck to you.

Reaction Score
Massachusetts opening up gyms on Monday. The state has made great progress from the surge a couple months ago. I hope this doesn't become a mistake. Just please keep the bars closed. I don't want to see what is happening down south happen here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom