Connecticut Gyms | The Boneyard

Connecticut Gyms

Reaction Score
It's been a few days now, has anyone been? I was away for the weekend so wasn't a consideration for me but I'm torn. Curious if anyone has been going and feels like it's been safe

On a different note, they unsurprisingly charged my full monthly fee and annual fee the day they were able to reopen

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Honestly in March I was like “the second the gym opens I’m back in there!” Now I’m like ehhhhhhhhh. I’m a Big Sky member and so is my sister. She’s gone a few times and she says it’s been very scarce.

Reaction Score
Honestly in March I was like “the second the gym opens I’m back in there!” Now I’m like ehhhhhhhhh. I’m a Big Sky member and so is my sister. She’s gone a few times and she says it’s been very scarce.
That was me, posted on here I'd be back the day they opened and now I'm not so sure

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That was me, posted on here I'd be back the day they opened and now I'm not so sure
I’m the same thing with bars and restaurants. Just started going into stores. I hope more people stay away until they’re absolutely comfortable

Reaction Score
Haven’t gone yet. I can’t imagine working out with a mask on although I understand why that’s the case. I feel like I’d pass out.

Reaction Score
I’m torn. I feel like it’s safe but I live with both grandparents so I’m not taking the chance yet. I know someone who went. He said it’s safe and that the staff is really strict. Some machines are closed to ensure nobody gets too close to one another. There are signs everywhere saying to thorough wipe down everything after use. There’s also extra staff to wipe down anything else in between use.

Reaction Score
I belong to 2 gyms for free, Silver Sneakers for us old guys. I think it is still risky because even if they sanitize everything, you have to hope the others are wearing their masks properly so as not to release droplets. Yes, with heavy sweating from exercise, droplets can travel 12-14 feet. My basement is my gym. I spent a lot of money on personal training over the years, and learned that you can replicate most exercises with resistance bands, like lat pulldowns, rows, chest presses, rear delt flys. Just get the right resistance to challenge yourself.

Got my own TRX over the door. I whack tennis balls against a wall in an 80 square foot area of my basement, chasing them around, and standing on 3/4 inch foam interlocking tiles to cushion the impact on my plantar fasciitis prone left foot. Gets the heart rate up.

I punch a standing punching bag too in my basement.

Gyms now: unsafe to use lockers to put clothes in (what will happen in the fall and winter? Can't hang your jacket or coat on anything in the gym.

Then again, to each his own. Some are going back to the barber. Others are not. I bought an Andis clipper on Amazon and am cutting my own hair standing up and looking in the mirror. Doesn't look half bad.

If you are younger, do what motivates you, using an appropriate amount of caution.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I belong to 2 gyms for free, Silver Sneakers for us old guys. I think it is still risky because even if they sanitize everything, you have to hope the others are wearing their masks properly so as not to release droplets. Yes, with heavy sweating from exercise, droplets can travel 12-14 feet. My basement is my gym. I spent a lot of money on personal training over the years, and learned that you can replicate most exercises with resistance bands, like lat pulldowns, rows, chest presses, rear delt flys. Just get the right resistance to challenge yourself.

Got my own TRX over the door. I whack tennis balls against a wall in an 80 square foot area of my basement, chasing them around, and standing on 3/4 inch foam interlocking tiles to cushion the impact on my plantar fasciitis prone left foot. Gets the heart rate up.

I punch a standing punching bag too in my basement.

Gyms now: unsafe to use lockers to put clothes in (what will happen in the fall and winter? Can't hang your jacket or coat on anything in the gym.

Then again, to each his own. Some are going back to the barber. Others are not. I bought an Andis clipper on Amazon and am cutting my own hair standing up and looking in the mirror. Doesn't look half bad.

If you are younger, do what motivates you, using an appropriate amount of caution.
Is that also a dating thing, or is that Silver Singles?

Reaction Score
do you even lift?
I do not lift barbells. Too high a risk of injury for me.

I use free weights occasionally for curls or shoulder side to side or whatever it is called. I use them for a one arm bench row. I have done a bench deadlift with them.

I stand on a resistance band and do biceps curls. Also, I have a resistance band rapped around a support beam in my basement and do a paloof press. I counter that with a rear delt fly with the band around the beam to counter the pushing out of the paloof. I use a 2 handle core ball for chest presses or stand with my back to the beam and push out with a band.

As the trainer pointed out, with the appropriate resistance levels of the bands, you can replicate almost anything you do with weights. You can Google this on Livestrong.com.

When I went to the gym, I did the seated cable weighted lat pulldowns and rows. Now, I kneel on a pad and with the bands looped through the door anchor at the top of the door, I do a triceps pull and moving away after that, I do a lat pulldown. Similar resistance feel to the cable weighted machine.

With the TRX over my door, I do rows and a combo squat row. This is a body weight exercise developed by a navy seal. Also, I stand on a platform and with a rolldown device called the "wrist blaster," I work on the arm and forearm strength and I slowly unravel the blaster and then slowly bring it back up.

I guess it depends on your objectives. It depends on what you like, what works for you, and what minimizes the risk of injury.

Reaction Score
Went to the gym today. They took my temperature when I walked in, 25% capacity for now, every other treadmill or stairmaster has a no use sign, showers, saunas, steamrooms, and I think the pool is closed. Not allowed to use the water fountain but the fountain that you put your bottle under can be used. Everything is the same in the weight room. Need to wear a mask while working out which is no doubt uncomfortable and will take some getting used to. I was breathing really hard and sweating my buns off.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I just wish the most basic set of free weights at a decent weight wasn’t so crazy expensive.

Reaction Score
I belong to the Edge in Trumbull. I’ve gone about 3 times, sucks with the mask but thankfully I’ve been able to lower it bc the rule only applies when someone is within 6 feet of you. I’m there at 5:45 am and there’s barely anyone there so that’s why I’m able to lower it at times. Every other machine closed, and they’re constantly cleaning. I wipe machine down before and after I use it. Water fountain closed but the fridge is open to buy water if needed like normal and locker room is open but no showers (never use them anyways).

Reaction Score
I own two fitness studios (Stamford and Norwalk), we’ve seen a surprisingly large amount of members ready to come back as soon as we opened. I would say 60% of our pre-Covid membership is back - still not the best for being profitable...

We’ve taken extreme measures though. No equipment sharing during classes, 12ft social distancing, no mask for members but the trainers wear masks, temperature check pre class, electro-static spraying of all equipment and surface areas between classes, and we also installed a new hvac system which “claims” it kills all airborne germs and viruses. Separate entrance and exits, UV lights, the list goes on...

However, taking these measures make the members feels comfortable and getting back into the gym is the best part of their day (and mine). The issue we are having is not enough spots in classes for the demand. We can only hold 15 people, when before Covid we were holding 30+...it’s a crazy time but we are making the best of it and fighting to keep business alive and providing value for our members!

Exercising is great for the immune system, mental health, and obviously we know the physical health benefits

Reaction Score
I’ve been 3 times this week although I’m going to continue with my outside workouts on the days I don’t go to the gym. At my gym, you have to wear a mask while lifting weights. It’s difficult and I’m not sure how safe it is on some lifts. For example, on the bench press the mask obstructs vision so I can’t tell if I’m even or when the bar is going to hit my chest. But overall, it’s been good. The staff worked really hard to make it as safe as possible and it’s not busy at all yet.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was breathing really hard and sweating my buns off.
Indoors. For at least an hour I’m guessing? At least a dozen people?

Hard to imagine that being anything but a Petri dish of potential infection irrespective of masks.

Reaction Score
Indoors. For at least an hour I’m guessing? At least a dozen people?

Hard to imagine that being anything but a Petri dish of potential infection irrespective of masks.
I'm bad at #'s but definitely well over a dozen people. It's a pretty huge space so you just stay away from each other. I was there for probably around an hour. I love working out and it's been slightly over 3.5 months so if it's open I'm going. My friends are flying again and many of the flights are overbooked which seems pretty crazy to me but they have to make money. Same with bars and restaurants opening up. I don't see everyone sticking to 25% capacity, everyone needs money.

Reaction Score
Have not gone to the gym since Mar 10 when had knee replacement surgury.
Am 83 and have at risk family. Strict rules apply in my house.
Not going to put myself or family at risk.
Can't imagine anyone so selfish . Am a avid golfer and gym member and these are off limits until we get antigen and vacine.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I do not lift barbells. Too high a risk of injury for me.

I use free weights occasionally for curls or shoulder side to side or whatever it is called. I use them for a one arm bench row. I have done a bench deadlift with them.

I stand on a resistance band and do biceps curls. Also, I have a resistance band rapped around a support beam in my basement and do a paloof press. I counter that with a rear delt fly with the band around the beam to counter the pushing out of the paloof. I use a 2 handle core ball for chest presses or stand with my back to the beam and push out with a band.

As the trainer pointed out, with the appropriate resistance levels of the bands, you can replicate almost anything you do with weights. You can Google this on Livestrong.com.

When I went to the gym, I did the seated cable weighted lat pulldowns and rows. Now, I kneel on a pad and with the bands looped through the door anchor at the top of the door, I do a triceps pull and moving away after that, I do a lat pulldown. Similar resistance feel to the cable weighted machine.

With the TRX over my door, I do rows and a combo squat row. This is a body weight exercise developed by a navy seal. Also, I stand on a platform and with a rolldown device called the "wrist blaster," I work on the arm and forearm strength and I slowly unravel the blaster and then slowly bring it back up.

I guess it depends on your objectives. It depends on what you like, what works for you, and what minimizes the risk of injury.
This is easily the best answer ever to a "Do you even lift?"

Reaction Score
Time to look for the weights stashed in the basement. Haven't lifted anything but my butt out of chairs since Jan. But do walk 2-4 miles / day.

Reaction Score
Have not gone to the gym since Mar 10 when had knee replacement surgury.
Am 83 and have at risk family. Strict rules apply in my house.
Not going to put myself or family at risk.
Can't imagine anyone so selfish . Am a avid golfer and gym member and these are off limits until we get antigen and vacine.
You must be walking to rehab the knee... why not golf too? It’s been a reasonable risk for me. No worse than supermarkets.

Reaction Score
I went this morning for the first time. Basically the same as @superjohn with his post above. With the caveat that 80+% of people were not wearing masks. Someone was walking around to check but said nothing to anyone while I was there

Reaction Score
Gyms haven't opened up where I live - the issue of masks there is a real tough one. They're absolutely right to require masks when in the gym, walking around, and in close contact. However, it gets a bit dicey when lifting weights or doing intense cardio as the reduced airflow presents a level of risk.

Wondering if anyone here has found lifting or any other gym exercise while wearing a mask to be difficult. All of my workouts now are on a giant open field so it's easy to go there and not be within 50 feet of another person, thus a mask isn't necessary once I get there. But I'd love to get back in a gym here when it's safe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom