Connecticut as a High-Level Recruiting Area | The Boneyard

Connecticut as a High-Level Recruiting Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
I posted this on the CR board but thought it deserved some discussion here.

Contrary to reputation, Connecticut and the northeast do surprisingly well as a producer of NFL talent:

http://Post original url/1edQH3K

Maxpreps data (http://www.maxpreps.com/news/J_G3Ol...ery-active-nfl-player-went-to-high-school.htm) is also telling:

03db0fa9-f36f-e211-a211-002655e6c126_original.jpg

Connecticut high schools produced 24 current NFL players. That ties Indiana and beats Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska -- most of which have a larger population than Connecticut. On a per capita basis, Connecticut is nearly as good as New Jersey and beats Pennsylvania and Michigan and Maryland as a producer of NFL talent. Ohio is the only B1G state that is distinctly better on a per capita basis.

It's true that the other New England states and New York don't produce many high level football players per capita. But I think the entry of the B1G to the region will have a big impact on regional football interest. Also, Connecticut, though doing well already (~10 BCS level players and ~2 NFL players per year) can do better, and will. High school and UConn football are rapidly rising in importance here.

I think this is evidence that UConn can compete readily with most of the B1G in football, and would not bring down the quality of B1G football if we were invited. We are essentially at the B1G state average as a source of high-level football players; and if UConn in the B1G brings a greater emphasis on football regionally, in NY and NE, then we may even help the B1G recruit.

Reaction Score
I followed CT HS talent for a number of years. As a bi-product I noticed that about two kids a year (who played HS football in Connecticut) went to the NFL.

That's why I think CT is under recruited and has much mre talent than it is being credited for.

We produce about ten 1A LOIs a year. If we produced as well as New Jersey that number would be closer to 25.

Reaction Score
I followed CT HS talent for a number of years. As a bi-product I noticed that about two kids a year (who played HS football in Connecticut) went to the NFL.

That's why I think CT is under recruited and has much mre talent than it is being credited for.

We produce about ten 1A LOIs a year. If we produced as well as New Jersey that number would be closer to 25.
The CT HS Coaches Assoc has to petition the CIAC to allow them the same rules that they have in NJ. Until the CIAC loosens their archaic rules 10 to 12 1A LOI's per yr is what CT will produce. And that isn't enough to get big name schools in here on OOC home and home scheduling deals. Funny thing is if these guys (Coaches Assoc) put in about 1/2 the work petitioning the CIAC that they did petitioning Hathaway to hire Pasqualoni the changes would be immediate!

Reaction Score
What rules does the CIAC have in place?
There are very strict rules that cover off season organized team activities. Outside of set practice times there can be no mandatory team activities of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom