Congressional response to post season ban | The Boneyard

Congressional response to post season ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) [--] The decision to ban Connecticut men's basketball team from next year's postseason because of past academic problems has led two members of Congress to say they will take a closer look at the NCAA.
U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal and Rep. John Larson, both Connecticut Democrats, said the system used to enforce NCAA standards "often appears arbitrary and unfair."
UConn faces a postseason ban because of several years of low scores on the NCAA's Academic Performance Rate. The school argues the penalty was applied retroactively and hurts current students, who had nothing to do with the low scores.
Blumenthal and Larson say they plan to "shine a light on the way the NCAA enforces its rules and review all possible courses of action to compel reform."

Reaction Score
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) [--] The decision to ban Connecticut men's basketball team from next year's postseason because of past academic problems has led two members of Congress to say they will take a closer look at the NCAA.
U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal and Rep. John Larson, both Connecticut Democrats, said the system used to enforce NCAA standards "often appears arbitrary and unfair."
UConn faces a postseason ban because of several years of low scores on the NCAA's Academic Performance Rate. The school argues the penalty was applied retroactively and hurts current students, who had nothing to do with the low scores.
Blumenthal and Larson say they plan to "shine a light on the way the NCAA enforces its rules and review all possible courses of action to compel reform."
Send in the clowns...

Reaction Score

It's good to know that that the ncaa has to answer to someone. I hope that Congress fixes the ncaa's wagon

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The thing of it is, it is the arbitrary enforcement of the rules that makes it so unfair.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Huh. The arbitrary, retroactive punishment of UConn leads to an investigation that brings the entire NCAA to its knees. The system is teetering already.
Not likely to happen, but not really impossible, either.

Reaction Score
Does this give us any chance at all for next year or is it just for future situations? I will laugh all the way to Atlanta (2013 Final Four) if they somehow get this accomplished. The greatness would be two-fold. The NCAA will finally get revealed on how big of a joke they are and we could play for number four.

Reaction Score
Huh. The arbitrary, retroactive punishment of UConn leads to an investigation that brings the entire NCAA to its knees. The system is teetering already.
Not likely to happen, but not really impossible, either.
The whole country needs to be well-informed about the arbitrary, retroactive punishment. I can guarantee most Americans don't like that BS.

C

Chief00

I think the NCAA is probably a fairly sloppy organization because they have never been under the microscope themselves. Bottom-line the suck-up staff knows Emmert's feelings toward UConn and particular Calhoun - they direct their scarce resources in that direction - my guess is there would be some incriminating e-mails between the staff.

Reaction Score
True, but these two are just looking for votes.
Well they'll have my vote. Does this automatically mean the GOP is for the NCAA?

Reaction Score
Yup. One more vote for me too (if it leads to Uconn being eligible in 2013).

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
I've only been able to find scores for the last few years...10-11 (975, I think I saw), 09-10 (826), and 08-09 (844). Does anyone know what the scores were for the years leading up to these years? All I've been able to find on the NCAA site is rolling scores from 07-08 on back. I keep reading about low scores for several years, but as I understood it, it was more for very low scores over just a couple of years.

Thanks in advance.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
In their defense, Blumenthal isn't up for re-election for four years and Larson is never in any danger anyway. This isn't quite as shameless as it might appear.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Well they'll have my vote. Does this automatically mean the GOP is for the NCAA?

I don't know that it means that.

But, post that on the Cesspool and you will get a lot of affirmation....

Reaction Score
The whole country needs to be well-informed about the arbitrary, retroactive punishment. I can guarantee most Americans don't like that BS.
Would you care if this were happening to KY instead of Uconn? Take that answer and extrapolate it out. Most Americans will not care about the details and will not understand if this is arbitrary or retroactive. They will only marginally care that Uconn is affected. They will still watch next year's tournament and bet their brackets.

Reaction Score
uh, no. Blumenthal has another 4 yrs, till running, and CT is as blue as they come. He's not worried about getting reelected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom