Congratulations from an ND Fan | The Boneyard

Congratulations from an ND Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hi All,

I posted for the first time here yesterday and told you all how I've enjoyed reading your board in anticipation for last night's game. I just wanted to say congratulations on the big win last night. As an Irish fan, all our worst fears were realized. It seems we would have been quite over matched even with Natalie playing, but without her, we were simply no match at all. I was thinking to myself as I watched that game that you might have the best women's team ever. When Stewart is on her game, it's not realistic for 99.999% of women's teams to be competitive, because she has such unprecedented size, length and athleticism. I say the following with absolutely no disrespect, but it's almost like watching a men's college player playing amongst the girls. Then when you throw in 4 more All-America type players with size, it's almost not even fair :).

Congratulations again on an exceptional season and I hope that we're able to give you a game next year!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Hi All,

I posted for the first time here yesterday and told you all how I've enjoyed reading your board in anticipation for last night's game. I just wanted to say congratulations on the big win last night. As an Irish fan, all our worst fears were realized. It seems we would have been quite over matched even with Natalie playing, but without her, we were simply no match at all. I was thinking to myself as I watched that game that you might have the best women's team ever. When Stewart is on her game, it's not realistic for 99.999% of women's teams to be competitive, because she has such unprecedented size, length and athleticism. !

Although not the same size
I so admire Loyd's such exceptional athletic and BB gifts
in a way similar to Stewie, just a pint-sized version.
But she was hounded to near extinction yesterday.

But certainly here is a player you can build a championship team (or nearly so) around.
UConn just had too much last night.
But surely ND will be back, competing at a very high level next year.
Though, perhaps, they'll just have to reconcile themselves to being #2 for a while.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your thoughtful and humble post. It's exciting for ND to have one high school player of the year coming to SOUTH BEND next year. I personally don't think we need A'ja Wilson to continue our dominance. If she does come to UConn, now that would be totally unfair to the rest of WCBB. Our 90 in a row win streak could seem like a distant second best record as we could run up 100, 110 or 120 wins in a row over the next 3 years...............

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Thanks for the post - much appreciated as Fiftyish said.

This weekend's unfortunate off-court dramatics notwithstanding, MM to me is clearly the best coach in the women's game not named Geno, and she consistently gets incredible execution and production from her squads. Most of all the Irish have moxie; other squads only know how to talk the talk. ND has shown it can walk the walk.

I agree (so did Kayla) that even with Achonwa we would have been too much last night--it was just ours to lose. Going forward, I fully expect ND to be better each year than the preseason prognosticators predict, simply because she not only gets very good players but she knows how to develop them. McBride being a perfect example.

Next year they return Loyd--who's got superstar talent-- and will reload with Turner and others. New faces, but they will be better than expected. Again.

McBride's future is very bright in the WNBA, and she may also make some noise on the National Team level. She is special.

Reaction Score
Thank you all for the kind comments. We are certainly excited to add Turner to the mix next year, but I think what will continue to hold ND back in terms of being able to finally win that second title is their lack of a true post player, a Dolson type if you will. Muffet does a great job getting a lot out of her players, but they can't be competitive with teams like they saw last night running out a couple of post players at 6'1 and 6'3. They need some more size.

And I agree, I think the next two years are UConn's to lose as long as Stewart stays healthy.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your generous words. Looking forward already to next year's Jimmy V game!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't remember Loyd getting an alley oop, did she?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I don't remember Loyd getting an alley oop, did she?

I think they attempted one, but she had to do a 180 in the air just to get her hands on it - She came down and then went back up to convert the bucket. OTOH it might have been an actual Jewelly-oop that was converted. I just can't remember. Much more acrobatic than your garden variety J-oop.

I need to go back and see replay (first half) but I recall it was very impressive regardless. No shocker considering her ability tho.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think they attempted one, but she had to do a 180 in the air just to get her hands on it - She came down and then went back up to convert the bucket. OTOH it might have been an actual Jewelly-oop that was converted. I just can't remember.

I need to go back and see replay (first half) but I recall it was very impressive regardless. No shocker considering her ability tho.
My point in asking is I think that our team was very aware of keeping the back door shut and not letting Jewell get loose that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom