Congrats to Tierney Lawlor..!! | The Boneyard

Congrats to Tierney Lawlor..!!

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
This was posted by Blarney76 in a thread I wrote before the MSU game. I thought TLAW deserved her own thread. While the last game may not have finished perfectly, T lived the dream for 4 years. Congrats, Tierney..!!!

img_6704-jpg.21340

"And has been rewarded with a (so far) 152-1 record! And on top of the record books regardless what happens! Not bad for a girl from the valley that had a dream to be at Connecticut. She will remain as beloved a player as they come from this state." - CBear01

From her early beginnings as a tough young player on the Armory court in Ansonia, Tierney has always played basketball with the same grit and heart we see on display every time she wears the UCONN uniform. And while her minutes for the Huskies have been limited, what she has brought to the team, her fans, her community and her family over the last four years is something no stat sheet could ever capture.

Although she initially opted not to play basketball at the collegiate level, her high school career certainly warranted the interest she received from several DII schools. While at AHS she compiled admirable stats and recognitions for her skilled play and academic prowess. T was a four-year varsity starter in all 92 games, as well as a three-year captain, amassing 901 career points, 739 rebounds and close to 200 assists while shooting 70% from the free throw line. She helped lead her team to four consecutive Naugatuck Valley League and Class M Quarterfinal State Tournament appearances.

A winner on the court and in the classroom, T was a CAPT Scholar and recipient of the Yale University outstanding high school student award, graduated third in her class with an advanced placement course schedule, received the Connecticut Association of Schools CIAC Scholar Athlete Award, was appointed to the Connecticut High School Coaches Association Academic All-State Team, earned the New Haven Tap-Off Club Scholar Athlete Award, as well as a spot on The Waterbury Republican Winter All Academic Team. She was also named a three-time NVL All Brass Division player, a Connecticut Post Super 15 All Star Girls’ Basketball Team appointee, received New Haven Register All-State honorable mention and was named Female Athlete of the Week multiple times by the Connecticut Post, New Haven Register and Republican American newspapers.

With a successful high school career neatly tucked away in the memory books and the focus now shifted solely to academics, few could have forecasted the fairy tale that would soon unfold. When the now infamous "Stewie walk-on tweet" hit social media on April 15, 2013, the long-imagined pipe dream suddenly billowed with possibility. The rest, as they say, is history.

It's no surprise to those who know her best that Tierney has continued her commitment to giving 100%, both academically and athletically. Expect to see that same level of commitment and effort in the field as she forges ahead with her farming career once the Dance in Dallas is done. Thank you Tierney for all you have brought to the UCONN program during your four years.

Blarney76

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Tierney was a perfect example of what a walk-on, whether they earn a scholarship or not is supposed to bring to a program.
She was zeroed in every practice and game to what she should bring to her teammates to make the program better for her being there for 4 years!
As she led the pregame player huddles to her cheering, "coaching" on one knee in front of the bench, to high 5's after a 3, to handing the clip board to Geno at timeouts she was totally involved in the action from first whistle to final buzzer!
What ever she chooses to do for a career, farming seems to be her future commitment, she will succeed just like she did as a member of the UCONN WCBB program!

Reaction Score
Tierney was a perfect example of what a walk-on, whether they earn a scholarship or not is supposed to bring to a program.
She was zeroed in every practice and game to what she should bring to her teammates to make the program better for her being there for 4 years!
As she led the pregame player huddles to her cheering, "coaching" on one knee in front of the bench, to high 5's after a 3, to handing the clip board to Geno at timeouts she was totally involved in the action from first whistle to final buzzer!
What ever she chooses to do for a career, farming seems to be her future commitment, she will succeed just like she did as a member of the UCONN WCBB program!

Perfect description of Tienery Lawlor---Ansonia must be proud. So few Connecticut kids get to play for Uconn--and one of the
Naugatuck Valley girls (along with Maria Conlon) have shown the grit. Thanks Rsherm!!

Reaction Score
This was posted by Blarney76 in a thread I wrote before the MSU game. I thought TLAW deserved her own thread. While the last game may not have finished perfectly, T lived the dream for 4 years. Congrats, Tierney..!!!

img_6704-jpg.21340

"And has been rewarded with a (so far) 152-1 record! And on top of the record books regardless what happens! Not bad for a girl from the valley that had a dream to be at Connecticut. She will remain as beloved a player as they come from this state."

From her early beginnings as a tough young player on the Armory court in Ansonia, Tierney has always played basketball with the same grit and heart we see on display every time she wears the UCONN uniform. And while her minutes for the Huskies have been limited, what she has brought to the team, her fans, her community and her family over the last four years is something no stat sheet could ever capture.

Although she initially opted not to play basketball at the collegiate level, her high school career certainly warranted the interest she received from several DII schools. While at AHS she compiled admirable stats and recognitions for her skilled play and academic prowess. T was a four-year varsity starter in all 92 games, as well as a three-year captain, amassing 901 career points, 739 rebounds and close to 200 assists while shooting 70% from the free throw line. She helped lead her team to four consecutive Naugatuck Valley League and Class M Quarterfinal State Tournament appearances.

A winner on the court and in the classroom, T was a CAPT Scholar and recipient of the Yale University outstanding high school student award, graduated third in her class with an advanced placement course schedule, received the Connecticut Association of Schools CIAC Scholar Athlete Award, was appointed to the Connecticut High School Coaches Association Academic All-State Team, earned the New Haven Tap-Off Club Scholar Athlete Award, as well as a spot on The Waterbury Republican Winter All Academic Team. She was also named a three-time NVL All Brass Division player, a Connecticut Post Super 15 All Star Girls’ Basketball Team appointee, received New Haven Register All-State honorable mention and was named Female Athlete of the Week multiple times by the Connecticut Post, New Haven Register and Republican American newspapers.

With a successful high school career neatly tucked away in the memory books and the focus now shifted solely to academics, few could have forecasted the fairy tale that would soon unfold. When the now infamous "Stewie walk-on tweet" hit social media on April 15, 2013, the long-imagined pipe dream suddenly billowed with possibility. The rest, as they say, is history.

It's no surprise to those who know her best that Tierney has continued her commitment to giving 100%, both academically and athletically. Expect to see that same level of commitment and effort in the field as she forges ahead with her farming career once the Dance in Dallas is done. Thank you Tierney for all you have brought to the UCONN program during your four years.

Blarney76

Thanks David--count you to be compassionate of one our own. Third in her advanced placement class wow--everything else
is frosting o her high earned cake. Thank you.

Reaction Score
These postings about those female practice players and Connecticut kids playing in practice against the greatest WBB talent
say a lot about the program and even more about the kids. Without postings like these we ma never know the work done,
that these are not just Gym rat they are academic achievers. I love women athletes--but even more I love ACADEMIC
achiever Women.

Reaction Score
These postings about those female practice players and Connecticut kids playing in practice against the greatest WBB talent
say a lot about the program and even more about the kids. Without postings like these we ma never know the work done,
that these are not just Gym rat they are academic achievers. I love women athletes--but even more I love ACADEMIC
achiever Women.
Post of the day

Reaction Score
She was in a enviable position as a "Walk-On". She observed the entire coaching staff as she had to learn from square one..she heard all the game by game coach talk. She played and practiced with and against the very best ... Thus she has become a very learned basketball mind, learning from the entire UConn family .. If I were her why not become a graduate assistant for a year or two then grab a High School position, and work her way up the ladder.....???

mr006

Reaction Score
"a tough young player on the Armory court in Ansonia..."
Just as a note, that court made an appearance in the ESPN documentary on UConn WBB a few years back. They were looking for a "rustic" looking court in the area, and it is definitely that :)

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Can't believe that they are still using the old armory. It was old and run down when i watched my future brother in law play there in the early 60's. Unbelievable that TL is the 2nd player from my hometown to play for The best wbb program in the country!

Reaction Score
"a tough young player on the Armory court in Ansonia..."
Just as a note, that court made an appearance in the ESPN documentary on UConn WBB a few years back. They were looking for a "rustic" looking court in the area, and it is definitely that :)

You are correct, very good recall. It was pretty exciting to have some former UCONN WBB greats visit our community.

ESPN makes film on UConn Women Huskies

Reaction Score
IMG_6784.JPG
Can't believe that they are still using the old armory. It was old and run down when i watched my future brother in law play there in the early 60's. Unbelievable that TL is the 2nd player from my hometown to play for The best wbb program in the country!

The Armory is likely very similar to how you may remember it, a historic red brick structure set high atop a hill on North Cliff Street with a near perimeter of arched windows streaming natural light onto the gymnasium floor below.

Since the city took ownership of the building there have been several safety upgrades to keep it a usable space for the local youth, but overall it has remained very much the same.

It continues to be a thriving and much needed practice space for our Valley sports programs. In fact, I will be there this evening for indoor softball practice! Pretty neat that you too have been in this very historic space.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
I walked past it for 4 years while attending high school and also belonged to the YMCA across the street.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom