Congrats To The Nl | The Boneyard

Congrats To The Nl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since the Yanks won 3 of 4 from '96 to '99, the National League now has 6 of the last 11 World Series, including 3 of the last 4 and 4 of the last 6.

For the interleague disparity during the regular season, seems like having the depth, defense and late inning strategies may be shining out a little more in the post-steroid era.

2011 - St Louis Cardinals
2010 - SF Giants
2009 - NY Yankees
2008 - Philadelphia Phillies
2007 - Boston Red Sox
2006 - St Louis Cardinals
2005 - Chicago White Sox
2004 - Boston Red Sox
2003 - Florida Marlins
2002 - Anaheim Angels
2001 - Arizona Diamondbacks

Reaction Score
Since the Yanks won 3 of 4 from '96 to '99, the National League now has 6 of the last 11 World Series, including 3 of the last 4 and 4 of the last 6.

For the interleague disparity during the regular season, seems like having the depth, defense and late inning strategies may be shining out a little more in the post-steroid era.

2011 - St Louis Cardinals
2010 - SF Giants
2009 - NY Yankees
2008 - Philadelphia Phillies
2007 - Boston Red Sox
2006 - St Louis Cardinals
2005 - Chicago White Sox
2004 - Boston Red Sox
2003 - Florida Marlins
2002 - Anaheim Angels
2001 - Arizona Diamondbacks
Really? A one win advantage that was - until last night - NO advantage at all means the NL is better ? You're not serious.

Reaction Score
Show me where I said the NL is better.

I said that it looks to me like good defense, good late game strategy and having a good solid TEAM of contributors is evening things out. No more juiced up, masher lineups.

And, on last night? Carpenter held the major's 3rd best run scoring lineup in check on 3 days rest. I guess though, if he pitched in the AL, his ERA would be 2 runs higher. Oh well.

Reaction Score
Show me where I said the NL is better.

I said that it looks to me like good defense, good late game strategy and having a good solid TEAM of contributors is evening things out. No more juiced up, masher lineups.

And, on last night? Carpenter held the major's 3rd best run scoring lineup in check on 3 days rest. I guess though, if he pitched in the AL, his ERA would be 2 runs higher. Oh well.
Pretty sure Barry Bonds never suited up for a single game in the AL. I'm not claiming the AL is better, but you are clearly inferring that this one NL win, that breaks a 5-5 tie over the last 10 years, does the opposite.

One win, or even one series win is meaningless. This postseason was bizzaro in the extreme. I can't believe you are trying to make hay out of a single Carpenter start when clearly the best pitching staff in all of baseball couldn't get out of the first round.

Reaction Score
a) I think that, the way most AL fans speak of the NL, even a 5-5 split is more than it "should" be.
b) Bizarro how? Because the Red Sox and Yankees didn't get in?

Reaction Score
Interesting that the AL vs NL thing the biggest pro sports conference rivalry? In terms of generating interest, arguments and something to talk about the rivalry actually supports not changing the two things most baseball fans would like to change. Namely the conflicting DH rules, and to a much lesser extent the All-Star game determining WSeries homefield.

For the latter a better way to 'market' this rivarly could be to make it determined by interleague game results. That would encourage lots of squabbling about schedules, matchups, homefield etc.. Kind of talk radio formula where controversy = ratings.

Reaction Score
a) I think that, the way most AL fans speak of the NL, even a 5-5 split is more than it "should" be.
b) Bizarro how? Because the Red Sox and Yankees didn't get in?

a) quality shows through more clearly in 162 game schedules than short series for anyone claiming there is a difference

b) bizzaro in that the mantra is "good pitching beats good offense" and yet the best pitching in the game was bounced in the first round and then there was an unseemly number of 9-6 type games when you expect playoff baseball to be more of a defensive, low run, good pitching style game. And then in the end the team with the worst record IN the playoffs won it all. Are you telling me you didn't get the impression this was a weird postseason ?

Reaction Score
Interesting that the AL vs NL thing the biggest pro sports conference rivalry? In terms of generating interest, arguments and something to talk about the rivalry actually supports not changing the two things most baseball fans would like to change. Namely the conflicting DH rules, and to a much lesser extent the All-Star game determining WSeries homefield.

For the latter a better way to 'market' this rivarly could be to make it determined by interleague game results. That would encourage lots of squabbling about schedules, matchups, homefield etc.. Kind of talk radio formula where controversy = ratings.
Pretty much. The only other thing that comes to mind is NBA East vs. West as "defense" vs. "fast break offense". I still think that is generally thought to be the case. There is the AFC vs. NFC thing, though I think the overall parity in the NFL prevents you from making many conclusions about either one.

Reaction Score
Yeah the NBA certainly did have that back in the 80s and I think the East vs West perception persists although it now applies to college hoop and pro hoop, with maybe even a little more emphasis in college. I think its more likely that someone says "they don't play D in the WAC" vs someone saying the western conference winner won't win the nba title cuz they play no D. That only applies to certain teams (Phoenix, Denver, GState).

Personally if my team is out I don't have a rooting interest in AL vs NL. I would have guessed I'd pick AL based on knowing the players/watching more AL. However looking at recent history
2011 - rooted for Rangers
2010 - rooted for Giants
2009 - rooted for Phillies
2008 - can't remember if I rooted for Phillies or Tampa

Reaction Score
Yeah the NBA certainly did have that back in the 80s and I think the East vs West perception persists although it now applies to college hoop and pro hoop, with maybe even a little more emphasis in college. I think its more likely that someone says "they don't play D in the WAC" vs someone saying the western conference winner won't win the nba title cuz they play no D. That only applies to certain teams (Phoenix, Denver, GState).

Personally if my team is out I don't have a rooting interest in AL vs NL. I would have guessed I'd pick AL based on knowing the players/watching more AL. However looking at recent history
2011 - rooted for Rangers
2010 - rooted for Giants
2009 - rooted for Phillies
2008 - can't remember if I rooted for Phillies or Tampa
I still go almost exclusively based on the team I root for. For the Yankees, it is the Yankees, then AL East, then AL. Even when that AL team is the Red Sox <ptooey> I go AL East all the way. Yes, that means I wanted to see the Sox <ptooey> win in 2004 and 2007. Though I did have moments of weakness in 2007 when I considered it wouldn't be so bad if the Rockies won.

You're right about the NBA, too, especially as it applies to the playoffs. If the old axiom is true, it is mostly in the regular season and applies probably more to middle of the pack teams than playoff contenders. Like Golden State.

Reaction Score
Wow. Wow, never would have guessed that.
I feel that conference affiliation in college hoop but not pro sports.

Reaction Score
Wow. Wow, never would have guessed that.
I feel that conference affiliation in college hoop but not pro sports.
I feel it even more with pro football. There was a time when the NFC was the unquestioned king. As a Cowboys fan I go for the NFC East, then the NFC. Except when I was forced to live directly in the middle of Redskin country at VA Tech. Was among about 5% of campus that wanted to see the Broncos win in 1987-88. Though nowadays I do appreciate the solid play of other conferences and divisions. Especially like the way the Ravens defense can dominate a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom