Congrats to Palatine | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Congrats to Palatine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well said 68.
And the comment that Nick was "slow" in learning the nuances of the passing game is beneath ridiculous--his absence had everything to do with coaches opinions on how and when to use certain personnel. And as we know, that was every bit a hit or miss proposition. Don't you agree, Mr.Easley?

Reaction Score
Given space Williams has ALWAYS been hard to tackle. Get him the ball and let people try to tackle him.

Has he had a couple WTF moments in deciding whether to catch the ball, fair catch or run it out of the end-zone....yes he has.

He could be molasses slow and I would try to get him the ball if he always seemed to get the extra yard. But he's not slow.

So does he have bad hands? I doubt it...fielding punts/KO's tells me he can catch the ball.

Maybe he never ran routes well or couldn't get separation? I don't think that's it either. Simple patterns are not that difficult. The coaches need to design plays to get him the right match-up. You don't need him to read the D and have some mind meld with the QB and change the plays on the fly like the Patriots do.

So why do I think he didn't see the field? Honestly, it could've been the QB. Maybe Nick doesn't quite have the body control to catch a pass that isn't right where it should be. Maybe HCRE didn't think he had the ability to out jump a corner. Maybe Randy just thought the other guys were better.

Me....I don't care. Every time I see him get the ball in space I feel like he has the chance to get it to the end zone. I don't feel that way about any other player on the team. Nick is that guy. Hopefully having him on the field helps open things up for everyone else.

Reaction Score
No, what some posters think is that someone who doesn't play WR for into his 3rd year while leadin Div1A in kick return average yardage and then in game 4 of his 3rd year gets a couple of short catches for over 100 yards:

1. Might have been worth getting some playing time at WR like Difton;
2. Might have gotten better sooner with some playing time earlier (strange how playing time tends to improve skill players - or prove they can't do it);
3. Might just be that everyone struggles in the mental aspect of the game if you want to see that in a player you will - how good is the coach in seeing "its worth the struggles for this guy vs. the alternative";
4. Might be worth a look if the team can't get a passing game for squat and he is a slot receiver where quick passes and runs are possible with even uconn type pass blocking and qb play.
Husky 68 I think the points you make are good ones-any and/or all of them could in fact be true.

Reaction Score
NIck has been productive whenever he has been used.

Great coaches use players in ways that amplify their strengths and minimize their weaknesses, they put players in the best position to succeed. Nailing players to the bench, or never calling their number, doesn't help the player, team or coach.

For the record, I never said Nick would be great player. I simply said he has skills that should be looked at - tried - as part of the offense. To this pint he had been completely ignored.

Reaction Score
Nick did a great job and he is a play maker. Very nice to see a player step up. McCoombs is getting worse week to week. Missing holes, no power, taken down easily... Very disappointing.

Reaction Score
Nick did a great job and he is a play maker. Very nice to see a player step up. McCoombs is getting worse week to week. Missing holes, no power, taken down easily... Very disappointing.
My guess as to what is happening with McCoombs, is that at the beginning of the season, teams had to play us more straight up, just in case our unknown QB's could torch them if they loaded the box with minimal defensive presence in the secondary. Once they saw they could safely load the box against our team, McCoombs was done for. While I think he can certainly be a decent back at the 1A level, he has zero ability to get YAC. With a stacked box, you have to be able to break at least one tackle. I think if our passing game continues to develop and teams can't stack the box, we'll get to see him better put to use his skill set. He is quite good at making a quick cut and getting upfield in a hurry. If he gets some semblance of running lanes, he'll be fine I think.

Reaction Score
Seeing Marcus Easley in Buffalo reminded me of something ... with this NW thread ... Edsall often made comments on a WR blocking ability. Seems to me that, with a lack of real playmaking ability at the WR postion over the last few years, both RE and PP should simply try to get a kid to perform what is clearly something he has innately. Maybe he grows into your ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom