Congrats to Miss st | The Boneyard

Congrats to Miss st

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This upset win by Mississippi State was truly remarkable, as has been their run this entire season. To come back from a 60-point drubbing against UConn in last year's Sweet 16, and then put together the kind of season they did, and then to overcome a bit of a late-season slump, and then to put together this postseason run ... what can you say, other than it's truly remarkable.

Congratulations to Vic Schaefer, Morgan William, and the entire team. Well earned.

Reaction Score
Congratulations Miss State!!! Hell of a game. Now we start over again. Great season Huskies!!! Can't wait til next year.

Thank you Saniya for a great season, we wish it could end with a ship but there's always next year. Good luck on what the future brings for you, hopefully the W and international ball.

So, sooo proud of this team.....until next year folks!!

Reaction Score
UConn shot better. MSU had a huge edge on rebounding the whole game except OT. The fact we were still in the game by OT is a gift. Said it in the game thread, people say this wasn't supposed to be our year; this game exposed that to be the case. We should be happy with the winning streak.

Reaction Score
Big congrats to Miss St. Nothing but heart and guts in those ladies. I think both sides showcased it's not the size of the dog in the fight. Gabby fighting in the paint all night against McCowan and Miss William playing leaps and bounds bigger than her stat line says.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
MSU did so much right but we had so many poor plays. Head bang Still if we had to lose, I am happy it was done my Morgan William. Her story is really phenomenal. We will be better next year and we will take it out on everyone.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well done by Miss St. They played really tough.

We got about as far as I thought we would this year and did it with a better record than expected. Great season.

Plebe

Reaction Score
MSU did so much right but we had so many poor plays. Head bang Still if we had to lose, I am happy it was done my Morgan William. Her story is really phenomenal. We will be better next year and we will take it out on everyone.
Last year Morgan William won me over with her toughness and fighting spirit; however, she was battling a lower-leg injury that severely slowed her, and this year we've seen what she can do with her quick wheels under her. She's been nothing short of great this year, and nothing short of spectacular this postseason, elevating her game to an all-American level.

Morgan William embodies what I love about women's basketball. It couldn't have happened to a better kid.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Miss St and the progression of its program..... a great win for you tonight.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This is kinda like the 1980 US Hockey team beating the USSR in the Olympics.... they still had a game to play after that to get the gold medal.

Its gonna be tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooough for MSU to win Sunday in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Obviously could not watch every game during the season. The one team that impressed me the most was Miss State in their loss to South Carolina. I knew then, they would be dangerous. They may have outdone that tonight. Congrats.

Reaction Score
This game was for the ages and one of the best I've ever seen. Congratulations Huskies on your fine season. I never expected your streak to continue and for your play to reach such high levels with so much youth.

I am so happy for my alma mater and the Lady Bulldogs. This program has had some good years in the past but they were few and far between. Vic has transformed the culture and these players are so much fun to watch. Mississippi State hasn't won a NC in any sport. The baseball team lost in the CWS finals in 2013 and the men's basketball squad made the FF in 1996. That's as close as it's been. The whole state, even those who don't care for women's basketball, is cheering us on. After tonight, the Lady Dogs added some new fans because everyone in the country, even those not that familiar with the sport, knows UConn is the king of the mountain.

Hope the Lady Dogs finish the job on Sunday.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I wish people would appreciate the teams on their own merits, and not overstate the significance of conference affiliation. This year, the two teams that elevated their game when it counted most and have won five consecutive NCAA tournament games happen to be from the same conference, the SEC. Last year, no SEC teams made the Final Four, but it doesn't mean they were a horrible conference then and suddenly became a good conference this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I will say, one eensy-weensy silver lining is that this outcome will surely humble the overused narrative of various negative qualities attributed to the SEC.

I wish people would appreciate the teams on their own merits, and not overstate the significance of conference affiliation. This year, the two teams that elevated their game when it counted most and have won five consecutive NCAA tournament games happen to be from the same conference, the SEC. Last year, no SEC teams made the Final Four, but it doesn't mean they were a horrible conference then and suddenly became a good conference this year.

I agree. And I hope it curbs the taking every game as a win for granted. What these players do every game/season is not easy and we should appreciate each one and not assume that UCONN will be in the finals every year..... we get everyone's best effort... and anything can happen in sports, that's why the games are actually played.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I agree. And I hope it curbs the taking every game as a win for granted. What these players do every game/season is not easy and we should appreciate each one and not assume that UCONN will be in the finals every year..... we get everyone's best effort... and anything can happen in sports, that's why the games are actually played.

Tonight you got Mississippi State's herculean effort. They were determined not to lose that game from the jump.

I've NEVER seen them play so ferociously. They were a pack of lions tonight.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Meh.

Mississippi State won while shooting 36% and dribbling the varnish off the floor to wear the shot clock down to the nub every possession. There's a reason UConn took a minuscule 46 FG attempts. Add in UConn's uncharacteristic poor free three shooting, including at critical junctures, and lack of intensity for nearly the entire first half .

They played very hard, harder than UConn, but they aren't close to the better team which makes the loss exceedingly disappointing.

Reaction Score
Last night
Meh.

Mississippi State won while shooting 36% and dribbling the varnish off the floor to wear the shot clock down to the nub every possession. There's a reason UConn took a minuscule 46 FG attempts. Add in UConn's uncharacteristic poor free three shooting, including at critical junctures, and lack of intensity for nearly the entire first half .

They played very hard, harder than UConn, but they aren't close to the better team which makes the loss exceedingly disappointing.

Well this just goes to show how incredible a 111 game winning streak is. Every game you have an opponent determined to beat you. Some nights all the stars line up and another team plays an outstanding game while you are not at your best. Great teams sometimes lose and that's what makes sports so exciting. The outcome is not predetermined.

Sure I'm disappointed in the loss. I bet the Russian hockey fans were too in 1980 when their all-star team played an uncharacteristically bad game and lost to a bunch of nobodies. But everyone else in the world relished an unbelievable underdog story. Just as I'm sure the rest of the country today will be rooting for an unbelivable underdog story for the finals.
Congrats to Mississippee State!

Reaction Score
they outplayed us all game and Vic Schaefer coached brilliantly

Congrats to them

:(
I will second that. Congratulations to them! Also, I am very, very, very proud of our young ladies. They exceeded all expectations this year. I feel really bad to hear the disappointments and hurts in their voices during the post game interviews. I think that the finality of the loss, especially for this year's seniors is the most difficult aspect of it.
Now I do not want this to be taken as a criticism of the coaching staff (well, Geno), but I was intrigued that we seem not to have made adjustments regarding the pace of play, and also how Morgan Williams was defended. We did not attempt to speed them up but allowed them to continuously walk up the ball to set up their offense (except on one occasion late in the fourth quarter that resulted in a turnover on which we scored), we did not take the ball out of Morgan Williams' hands (ala Jewell Lloyd or Mabrey2 from ND in the past, or other players). I thought at some point we were going to deny M Williams and let somebody else run their offense. I know our bench was short (hence the fear of tiring the starters) but maybe in spurts? Throw in Molly, Kyla, just to disrupt their offense? We were very, very passive in this game. I think to a fault and very un-UCON-like. Maybe it was all due to Miss State and nothing would have made a difference. In fact the game was lost on offense, not defense, I get that. But maybe a little less passive defense would have allowed us to sneak a win. Just my thoughts and observations.
But as I said the loss takes nothing away from a successful year for these your ladies. All credits to Miss State for a great game.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom