Confirmed: 7 Catholic Schools Agree to Leave the BE | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Confirmed: 7 Catholic Schools Agree to Leave the BE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn football is the only thing preventing UConn from UMass's fate.

Why would you hate that?

Hind sight is 20-20. At this point in time, we would have been better served staying a basketball only school.:oops:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Which will somehow come as a surprise to the ACC when they see Louisville up close.

Don't laugh, we've got Boise. Literacy is optional.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I try to be a glass half full kind of guy but this is beyond deflating. I mean Rutgers has made the NCAA tournament ZERO I REPEAT ZERO times (in Big East) and they land in the best conference of all? We are in a terrible spot, but there is hope that eventually we will land on solid ground. It's just going to take a long time. The catholic schools may view this as a victory, but that league will never compete with the BCS schools. Outside of Georgetown and maybe Villanova that's not exactly a stellar list of basketball schools, and good luck finding TV dollars.

Reaction Score
Hind sight is 20-20. At this point in time, we would have been better served staying a basketball only school.:oops:

I honestly don't understand how you come to this conclusion.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
ND's Mike Brey also said the nation's Catholic schools are discussing joining the Big East's seven Catholic schools and making a national Catholic conference with Xavier, Saint Louis, Dayton, Creighton, Gonzaga and possibly Saint Mary's, as well.

Reaction Score
ND's Mike Brey also said the nation's Catholic schools are discussing joining the Big East's seven Catholic schools and making a national Catholic conference with Xavier, Saint Louis, Dayton, Creighton, Gonzaga and possibly Saint Mary's, as well.

That's gay

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Some people need to stop typing or at least think before they write down their thoughts.

Reaction Score
UConn football is the only thing preventing UConn from UMass's fate.

Why would you hate that?

What are you talking about? This is the first time in the programs history that the existance of UConn football has worked against UConn basketball, at least in the short term. You keep suggesting schools in the Catholic Conference will falter into irrelevency, but I just don't see it. Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, Butler, VCU, etc. Not only do those schools have storied programs, but they have really good head coaches (the jury is still out on Wright but the rest of them can coach circles around a lot of these slouches in major conferences) pushing the program in the right direction. St. Johns and Providence also have young, capable coaches who could take their program to the next level. They are forming a very strong league, and if UConn and Cincy were invited as well, it would be not too far behind the B1G and ACC.

Obviously UConn football could be a God-send for the basketball program if UConn ever gets called up to the Majors, but as of right now, I have no idea how you could argue playing Tulane, Houston, and South Florida every year is going to benefit the basketball program more than had we joined the Catholic League and kept some semblance of our rivalries.

Reaction Score
So do the Catholic schools 'instantly' qualify for an automatic bid? That would suck, since most of them wouldn't qualify in the BE for a bid.

Could also explain a reason for the move.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So do the Catholic schools 'instantly' qualify for an automatic bid? That would suck, since most of them wouldn't qualify in the BE for a bid.

Could also explain a reason for the move.

Yes they do. Any league of 7 or more schools that have played together at least five years qualifies.

Reaction Score
Gay or not they can put together a conference that will get 8 teams in the tourney every year,

That's a real stretch. More like 4 or 5 at most, but there is no way they will get 8 teams consistently. The old Big East didn't always get 8 teams, and it was the football schools carrying the load.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
more form Marquette

Marquette's new basketball-centric athletic conference will include 10 or 12 teams, have a reasonable television contract and possible rotating sites for its league tournament, according to university sources.

Butler and Xavier could leave the Atlantic 10 to join the new unnamed league. Creighton, Virginia Commonwealth, Dayton or St. Louis could become the 10th team, or the conference could begin play with 12 teams if three schools vying for the 10th spot are all worthy candidates.

The decision to form the new league has already been made, according to MU sources. The only holdup is Georgetown President John J. DeGioia, who is struggling with the idea of his school leaving the Big East.

Once DeGioia signs on, an announcement on the formation of the new league, which would begin play next season, could come as early as Friday.

Marquette's share from a TV contract should be no less than the $1.5 million it receives from the Big East, a source said.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? This is the first time in the programs history that the existance of UConn football has worked against UConn basketball, at least in the short term. You keep suggesting schools in the Catholic Conference will falter into irrelevency, but I just don't see it. Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, Butler, VCU, etc. Not only do those schools have storied programs, but they have really good head coaches (the jury is still out on Wright but the rest of them can coach circles around a lot of these slouches in major conferences) pushing the program in the right direction. St. Johns and Providence also have young, capable coaches who could take their program to the next level. They are forming a very strong league, and if UConn and Cincy were invited as well, it would be not too far behind the B1G and ACC.

Obviously UConn football could be a God-send for the basketball program if UConn ever gets called up to the Majors, but as of right now, I have no idea how you could argue playing Tulane, Houston, and South Florida every year is going to benefit the basketball program more than had we joined the Catholic League and kept some semblance of our rivalries.

Football school revs: $30m
Basketball school revs: $1.5m

Keep telling yourself it doesn't matter, but I guarantee you that the ACC and Big10 will start sucking up all the basketball talent out there leaving little for the CYO league to work with. They will be Atlantic 10. They benefited so much from their association with the football schools in the BE. The top school, Georgetown, went to 1 Final 8 in 18 years. 18 years!!!!!!!!!!!

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Football school revs: $30m
Basketball school revs: $1.5m

Keep telling yourself it doesn't matter, but I guarantee you that the ACC and Big10 will start sucking up all the basketball talent out there leaving little for the CYO league to work with. They will be Atlantic 10. They benefited so much from their association with the football schools in the BE. The top school, Georgetown, went to 1 Final 8 in 18 years. 18 years!!!!!!!!!!!

You are fooling yourself. They measure success by NCAA Tourneys and Sweet 16s and regular season. They will do just fine. Thye will get the branding to compete. The A-10 Contract was a nice piece of promotion

Yearly Exposure: 14 games on ESPN-affiliated stations, 25 on the CBS Sports Network, and 25 on the NBC Sports Network. Women's games include 3 on the CBS Sports Network and 8 on the NBC Sports Networks

It also sets up a structure for the conference tournament, which secures rights for NBC to broadcast the A-10 tournament quarterfinals, CBS to broadcast the tournament semifinals, and ESPN to broadcast the championship game.

NBC Sports will also broadcast additional programming through its regional outlets and additional games on ESPN3.

Then there's schools like St John's that are investing heavily on creating their own streaming experience featuring media production majors and partnering with major media players

http://sportsvideo.org/main/blog/20...roduce-national-hd-broadcasts-over-public-ip/

Reaction Score
You are fooling yourself. They measure success by NCAA Tourneys and Sweet 16s and regular season. They will do just fine. Thye will get the branding to compete. The A-10 Contract was a nice piece of promotion

Yearly Exposure: 14 games on ESPN-affiliated stations, 25 on the CBS Sports Network, and 25 on the NBC Sports Network. Women's games include 3 on the CBS Sports Network and 8 on the NBC Sports Networks

It also sets up a structure for the conference tournament, which secures rights for NBC to broadcast the A-10 tournament quarterfinals, CBS to broadcast the tournament semifinals, and ESPN to broadcast the championship game.

NBC Sports will also broadcast additional programming through its regional outlets and additional games on ESPN3.

Then there's schools like St John's that are investing heavily on creating their own streaming experience featuring media production majors and partnering with major media players

http://sportsvideo.org/main/blog/20...roduce-national-hd-broadcasts-over-public-ip/

Did you just read Jacob's article about the NCAA tourney and the non-BCS schools' sheer ineptitude?

Georgetown made 1 Final 8 in 18 years. And that's their best school. They are back to that.

The ACC is about to become the be-all and end-all of college basketball. Schools such as Clemson and Wake Forest are about to experience a talent search like they've never seen. Anyone who is anyone will want to play there. They will suck the talent dry from the CYO schools until these CYO schools look like St. Bonaventure. You're thinking like it's 1985 all over again. The landscape is new. The ACC won. They dominate college basketball. There are 15 teams in that conference right now.

All the talent will flow there. ALL.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
You assume the ADs in those ACC schools are competent. Merely adding SU and Pitt didn't make ADs competent or as aggressive as you are on the boards in executing a plan. More likely we'll see more BCU kinds of success in the ACC as schools get fat and happy with their new paychecks. They didn't earn that pay by being good--more out of luck of geographical fate. Pitt, the post-Boeheim Syracuse---losers in waiting.

Reaction Score
You assume the ADs in those ACC schools are competent. Merely adding SU and Pitt didn't make ADs competent or as aggressive as you are on the boards in executing a plan. More likely we'll see more BCU kinds of success in the ACC as schools get fat and happy with their new paychecks. They didn't earn that pay by being good--more out of luck of geographical fate. Pitt, the post-Boeheim Syracuse---losers in waiting.

Adding SU and Pitt and Louisville while the BE imploded = GAME, SET, MATCH

I'm surprised that people can't see that--whatever happens with realignment--the ACC owns the college basketball world.

Reaction Score
Upstater - if money is all that matters, why do schools like Butler and VCU continue to make deep runs into March every year? I understand these schools are the exception rather than the rule, but I recall reading a stat a couple years ago that Duke spent something like 30 times as much per recruit as Butler. Money is invaluable, but it's been proven time and time again that NOTHING matters in college basketball like a strong head coach. That's why the Big East was able to rise to power as a basketball league, it's why Memphis was so good under Calipari, and it's why the newest Cathlogic league will continue to succeed. I don't doubt the fact that the ACC and B1G will attract the vast majority of the top talent. But how many four and five star recruits were Butler, or even Marquette and Georgetown for that matter, attracting previously? Butler was a group of mainly two and three star recruits when they made their run, Georgetown signs recruits to fit their system, and Marquette has been composed of mainly JUCO type players like DJO and Jae Crowder. Right now I'm watching a vastly under-manned Butler squad push top ranked Indiana to the brink. Do you think these two teams are even from a talent perspective? The ACC and B1G will dwarf the Cathloic League from a cash and talent point of view, but if you have a coach who can integrate players into a system, sell the program, and COACH in big games, you're program is going to be successful. That's why if guys like Stevens, Williams, Thompson, and Smart stick around, the Cathloic Conference WILL be heard from in March.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Upstater - if money is all that matters, why do schools like Butler and VCU continue to make deep runs into March every year? I understand these schools are the exception rather than the rule, but I recall reading a stat a couple years ago that Duke spent something like 30 times as much per recruit as Butler. Money is invaluable, but it's been proven time and time again that NOTHING matters in college basketball like a strong head coach. That's why the Big East was able to rise to power as a basketball league, it's why Memphis was so good under Calipari, and it's why the newest Cathlogic league will continue to succeed. I don't doubt the fact that the ACC and B1G will attract the vast majority of the top talent. But how many four and five star recruits were Butler, or even Marquette and Georgetown for that matter, attracting previously? Butler was a group of mainly two and three star recruits when they made their run, Georgetown signs recruits to fit their system, and Marquette has been composed of mainly JUCO type players like DJO and Jae Crowder. Right now I'm watching a vastly under-manned Butler squad push top ranked Indiana to the brink. Do you think these two teams are even from a talent perspective? The ACC and B1G will dwarf the Cathloic League from a cash and talent point of view, but if you have a coach who can integrate players into a system, sell the program, and COACH in big games, you're program is going to be successful. That's why if guys like Stevens, Williams, Thompson, and Smart stick around, the Cathloic Conference WILL be heard from in March.

Well I will believe that when I see it. The OC's have done nothing but leach off the other programs for over a decade, it will be interesting to see if they can go out and earn a seat (and a dollar) at the table themselves.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Doing fine is relative. I think when it is all said and done there will be some winners and some losers in every group.

Reaction Score

Every year? Every year? Every year?

It's a recent thing. Not every year. For every VCU that pops up, a George Mason falls off.

Butler is something special, they are showing to be as good if not better than Gonzaga.

That's 2 out of 350 schools.

Those aren't good odds.

No one from the A10 has managed such success.

Reaction Score
Couple things: the Catholic League won't be your prototypical mid-major league. There are generally 5-6 mid-majors in college basketball per year that can contend and compete with the big boys on any given night. This League's goal is to essensially take the best of the best mid-majors, combine them with the basketball only schools in the Big East that were left behind, and rise to prominance. Saying there have only been 2 out of 350 mid-majors that have maintained success on an annual basis isn't really fair. Teams like Xavier, Temple (although they're in the Big East now), Memphis, BYU, St. Louis, St. Joes etc. aren't exactly power houses, but they have been consistenly successful and solid representives of their respective leagues in the OOC slate. Schools like Georgetown, St. Johns, and Villanova are still storied programs who kids still want to play for. Playing in MSG is still appealing to 17 and 18 year old kids. If UConn and Cincy were added (which they won't be, but for the sake of argument), the Huskies would give the Cathloic League another marquee program, in addition to schools like Nova, G'Town, Butler, Marquette, VCU, Xavier....these are schools that resonate with high school kids today. This league will have a strong presence in New York City, Philly, Chicago, DC, etc. It's not exactly the murderers row of Cuse, Duke, UNC, and L'Ville of the ACC, or Indiana, MSU, OSU, and UM of the B1G, but I don't see why it's going to be drastically worse than historically luke warm basketball conferences like the Pac-12 and SEC. This all feeds into my argument that temporarily, UConn would be better off playing their basketball in the Cathloic Conference rather than the NBE. JMO.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Couple things: the Catholic League won't be your prototypical mid-major league. There are generally 5-6 mid-majors in college basketball per year that can contend and compete with the big boys on any given night. This League's goal is to essensially take the best of the best mid-majors, combine them with the basketball only schools in the Big East that were left behind, and rise to prominance. Saying there have only been 2 out of 350 mid-majors that have maintained success on an annual basis isn't really fair. Teams like Xavier, Temple (although they're in the Big East now), Memphis, BYU, St. Louis, St. Joes etc. aren't exactly power houses, but they have been consistenly successful and solid representives of their respective leagues in the OOC slate. Schools like Georgetown, St. Johns, and Villanova are still storied programs who kids still want to play for. Playing in MSG is still appealing to 17 and 18 year old kids. If UConn and Cincy were added (which they won't be, but for the sake of argument), the Huskies would give the Cathloic League another marquee program, in addition to schools like Nova, G'Town, Butler, Marquette, VCU, Xavier....these are schools that resonate with high school kids today. This league will have a strong presence in New York City, Philly, Chicago, DC, etc. It's not exactly the murderers row of Cuse, Duke, UNC, and L'Ville of the ACC, or Indiana, MSU, OSU, and UM of the B1G, but I don't see why it's going to be drastically worse than historically luke warm basketball conferences like the Pac-12 and SEC. This all feeds into my argument that temporarily, UConn would be better off playing their basketball in the Cathloic Conference rather than the NBE. JMO.
It appears that people are on to Jay Wright's gimmick. Georgetown has become solid under JT III but it may be difficult to find enough quality players willing to commit to his system where they'll be more than an occasional final eight run. You are listening to too many St John's fans who believe that a stray decent season and a final four run every few decades (we happen to be further removed from their last final four than we were from Bill Russell's San Fran national titles when St John's was in that final four) makes them one of the handful of great programs. They were never as good as their (few) fans like to pretend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom